VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 01:15:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 40316 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2009, 11:09:39 pm »

never_stop_learning:  Please don't misunderstand me.  I think your report is important.  I know Vector and Uelsk8s have been working very hard on video configuration and getting it right.  I was hoping you could provide them the info they need to succeed is all.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Ewald

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2009, 07:00:05 am »

I am trying to install VL6.0 RC3 on a Compaq iPAQ machine but I can't get the display working. The manual posts that the machine has an on board Intel i740 graphics controller. None of the video modes offered by the installer would work. With version 5.9 I didn't have any problems.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:02:18 am by Ewald » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2009, 07:35:50 am »

I am trying to install VL6.0 RC3 on a Compaq iPAQ machine but I can't get the display working. The manual posts that the machine has an on board Intel i740 graphics controller. None of the video modes offered by the installer would work. With version 5.9 I didn't have any problems.

At what point do you have problems - during the install, or once the install has completed? Are you trying to install in graphics mode, or have you tried the text mode install?

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 07:44:33 am »

Just got my new laptop up and running (after a major battle shrinking Vista to a size more appropriate for a toy OS).

GUI install was painless. Took me a while to find the correct 'vga=' mode to get the correct widescreen resolution supported in the framebuffer (the machine runs 1280x800). However, doing that has broken the bootsplash. Are there any widescreen versions of the bootsplash images available, or will I need to try and build my own?

I'm not getting the notifier daemon running, same problem as I was having on the T42. Vcpufeq is working fine throttling the dual core CPU, which is nice.

One fairly major problem - the wired ethernet interface is working fine (or I wouldn't be typing this...), but the system hasn't loaded anything for the wireless interface at all. lspci says this:

Code:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Networ
k Connection (rev 61)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Unknown device 1011
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
        Memory at df3fe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

I'm not even sure what module should support this, or where to find the firmware for it. Any help?

For some reason, I've not been able to migrate my Seamonkey profile from the old machine - I'll have to look at that a bit more, since I've got a lot of mail and passwords that I really don't want to loose...

paul.
EyesOnly

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2009, 11:16:05 am »

Toothandnail? Have you successfully imported your SeaMonkey profile from "point A to point B" in the past? Usually all it takes is a simple deleting of the "/.mozilla" directory in "/home" and importing your previous "/.mozilla" directory to your new home.

Once that's accomplished make sure that the "XUL.mfasl" file is deleted inside the "/default" directory. Then enter into your "/****.slt" directory and make SURE there's no ".parentlock" file. If there is then delete that as well.

Inside the main "/.mozilla" directory make sure the "appreg" file is likewise deleted. You may also need to delete the "mozver" and "pluginreg.dat" as well as occasionally both these files can interfer with a swap-over of the profiles.

I hope this helps?

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2009, 12:10:20 pm »

One fairly major problem - the wired ethernet interface is working fine (or I wouldn't be typing this...), but the system hasn't loaded anything for the wireless interface at all. lspci says this:

Code:
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN Networ
k Connection (rev 61)

I'm not even sure what module should support this, or where to find the firmware for it. Any help?
paul.

try "modprobe iwlagn"
let me know if it works, if not post the lines of dmesg that pertain.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2009, 12:32:50 pm »

Toothandnail? Have you successfully imported your SeaMonkey profile from "point A to point B" in the past? Usually all it takes is a simple deleting of the "/.mozilla" directory in "/home" and importing your previous "/.mozilla" directory to your new home.

Once that's accomplished make sure that the "XUL.mfasl" file is deleted inside the "/default" directory. Then enter into your "/****.slt" directory and make SURE there's no ".parentlock" file. If there is then delete that as well.

Inside the main "/.mozilla" directory make sure the "appreg" file is likewise deleted. You may also need to delete the "mozver" and "pluginreg.dat" as well as occasionally both these files can interfer with a swap-over of the profiles.

I hope this helps?

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Smiley Great, thanks a lot. I've not had that sort of problem in the past, but your suggestions have fixed it. Though I do seem to have picked up an old bookmarks file somewhere, more importantly, passwords and links are working....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2009, 12:40:04 pm »

Code:
k Connection (rev 61)

paul.

try "modprobe iwlagn"
let me know if it works, if not post the lines of dmesg that pertain.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Thanks for the response. Tried it, didn't get any errors, but I still don't seem to have any wireless interface. I added it in to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules, restarted (just in case), but even though the module shows as loaded, I've not got any wireless interface that wicd can see, and no sign of the wireless led on the machine either.

This is what I get from dmesg:

Code:
iwlagn: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link AGN driver for Linux, 1.3.27kd
iwlagn: Copyright(c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation
0000:00:19.0: eth0: Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
0000:00:19.0: eth0: 10/100 speed: disabling TSO

lsmod is giving me this:

Code:
iwlagn                 97696  0
iwlcore               123460  1 iwlagn
mac80211              155548  2 iwlagn,iwlcore
cfg80211               23688  3 iwlagn,iwlcore,mac80211

From memory, the Intel cards need firmware, don't they? Where should it be located?

Thanks.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:02 pm »

we have /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode and /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965.ucode
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »

we have /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode and /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965.ucode

Thanks. Checked, and they're in place. Still no sign of any wireless interface, I'm afraid. Wicd doesn't see any wireless network, and iwlan is also not seeing any wireless interface.

I know the card is working - I have it running under Zenwalk 5.4 beta. Trouble is, all my prior experience is with Atheros based cards, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to Intel stuff.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:05 pm »

Paul,
Try downloading this: http://filebin.ca/swhesj/iwlwifi.tar.bz2 and extracting it to your /lib/modules/2.6.27.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/ dir
then rmmod iwlagn and modprobe iwlagn
check dmesg, I think it should say loading firmware at least
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »

Paul,
Try downloading this: http://filebin.ca/swhesj/iwlwifi.tar.bz2 and extracting it to your /lib/modules/2.6.27.10/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/ dir

Sad Downloaded it (a couple of times), but I'm getting errors unpacking it. Is there any other source?

BTW, something I keep forgetting to mention (unrelated) - quite a few of the icon themes seem to be missing icons, especially for things like the Thunar context menus.

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:16 pm »

Just checked under Zenwalk. This is what I'm getting from dmesg from it:

Code:
iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: restoring config space at offset 0x1 (was 0x40100102, writing 0x40100106)
firmware: requesting iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:radio
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:assoc
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:RX
Registered led device: iwl-phy0:TX

As suggested, it does seem to be loading the firmware late in the boot. I should also mention that there was an update to that firmware came through at the end of December.

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2009, 03:28:49 pm »

Paul,

Sad Downloaded it (a couple of times), but I'm getting errors unpacking it. Is there any other source?

BTW, something I keep forgetting to mention (unrelated) - quite a few of the icon themes seem to be missing icons, especially for things like the Thunar context menus.

paul.

try download with wget if you are not already
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2009, 04:07:04 pm »

Smiley Got the package with wget (though the download looked a bit strange even then).

Placed the files as instructed, then retried. The results are a bit different, but still not functional. This is what I'm getting (multiple times) from dmesg:

Code:
iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwlagn 0000:03:00.0: restoring config space at offset 0x1 (was 0x100102, writing 0x40100106)
firmware: requesting iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode
iwlagn: iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode firmware file req failed: Reason -2
iwlagn: Could not read microcode: -2

On that subject, I notice that the latest update package from Zenwalk inclucdes these files:

Code:
ilib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-1.ucode
lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode

I'm also not sure (did a quick install + update using a wired connection) that the Zenwalk drivers were working prior to the upgrade. Is the Zenwalk package a more recent version of the firmware? I can try copying the second file in and seeing if that brings the interface up.

paul.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: