VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 06:49:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 38829 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 04:13:34 pm »

It wants lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode try the one from zenwalk it should get you running
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2009, 04:45:20 pm »

It wants lib/firmware/iwlwifi-4965-2.ucode try the one from zenwalk it should get you running

Smiley That has done it - wicd is now showing my next door neighbor's wireless interface (at a quite decent signal level as well). I'll enable wireless in my router tomorrow to make sure it really works, but it certainly looks better. Maybe the Vecotr firmware package needs an update?

I'm afraid I've got another problem. Just discovered that I have no sound. Nothing is reporting problems, and the correct modlues seem to be loading. I also just updated to the most recent version of the Alsa drivers from lthe repo, no change. This is what I have for sound:

Code:
snd_pcm                67972  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer              19976  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
thinkpad_acpi          57216  0
ohci1394               28976  0
snd_page_alloc          8840  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep               7812  1 snd_hda_intel

I've looked at both the Xfce mixer and alsamixer. Neither show anything muted, but both show a rather small range of controls.

Ah, some progress, though strange. If I deselect the HDA Intel and put the interface to 'default', I get controls for both the speaker and headphones, and it works, though not as well as it should, and not using the interface it should be using (judging by my recent trial of Fedora 10 on this machine, as well as the level and quality of sound that my Zenwalk installation is producing. I had to fiddle a bit to get sound under Zenwalk as well, but I have a much wider range of controls under it than I have under Vecotr.

With the interface set to HDA Intel, the speaker keeps deselecting itself, which is quite strange.

The T61 is a fairly recent machine (this one was built in September last year), and I have heard a few complaints about sound support under all but the most recent drivers.

paul.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2009, 06:09:11 pm »

Kudos to the VL team for 6.0-RC3.  I've just installed it in place of 5.9 with out a cd-drive.  The gui was flawless but I have 1 head scratcher and two problems.

I was surprised to see that it offered a proprietary driver for my ati chip.  Since it was listed at the top, I allowed it.

It would NOT allow me to set up a user with a blank password - I'll change that from the console - but see next.

It did not mount hdc2 for /home.  This is probably my fault as I may have left it to No Format.  I have now formated it.  It'll probably be easier to delete the users and current home directory.  Then, hopefully, fstab will be able to mount it properly (it is listed but blank for the ftype which I have changed to reiser) and I can add the users.  I don't believe I'll have the fancy pictures for each user with the cli adduser.

It'll be my luck the 6.0-final will be released tomorrow. Grin At least, I beat it this time.  Have yet to see if I can talk to my LAN or the internet yet.  That's for tomorrow.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Nick_13ro

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2009, 06:51:21 pm »

In thunar it would be nice if mounted windows partitions were listed like they are in pcman. Also there seems to be no spell checking support in pidgin ?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2009, 09:16:12 pm »

@StrayBit:  Many (most?) distros prohibit blank passwords because it's a really, really bad, as in truly terrible and absolutely awful idea from a security standpoint.  The only time a blank password should be used is for system accounts and automated processes and then the ability to actually have a login shell should be disabled.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Nick_13ro

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »

Another one: opening a ISO9660/UDF 1.02 DVD (using thunar) it seems to only show the names of the files in ISO9660 format. (and so I really can't tell what's in there)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2009, 12:52:58 pm »

Right, today I too (finally) found the time and guts to try VL6. It's absolutely astonishing so far! However, I did find something to smack the devs with Cheesy :

- vxdmset is broken. It just doesn't change to KDM. I installed kde from the Slackware 12.1 repo. Since I didn't feel like figuring out how to add it to gdm I decided to switch to kdm instead. Was rather surprised to find gdm again when I restarted. The problems I've found with it so far:
   + there's a function called checkkdm which is called as check_kdm (or the other way around)
   + it thinks the path for kdm is /opt/kde/bin/kdm, which should be /usr/bin/kdm
   + the resulting file doesn't seem to be used anymore at all. Instead, editing /etc/rc.d/rc.X did the trick

- The proprietary NVidia driver that comes with vlnvidia is too old for this laptop (someone probably posted this bug already, but time is short), so I had to get the driver from their site and install myself.

well, I might or might not add more later, good luck hunting the rest of'm you guys & gals!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2009, 08:37:27 pm »

Apparently with the new kernal any webcam application that uses v4l1 will not be supported out of the box.

Such as described in this link....
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?s=a5cc6d5a8769cb4fe5d34fe70bb93a79&showtopic=225971

The link also describes a solution.  Is there any way the libv4l.0.5.1.tar.gz libraries can be added to vl6.0 and the
"export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/lib/libv4lconvert.so:/usr/local/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so" to the init scripts.

This should solve the problem for anyone who uses a v4l1 device or application. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2009, 09:11:26 pm »

I haven't found pyNeighborhood (which I had a lot of trouble in 5.9) nor vlsmbmount which was working well even if I didn't smb.conf where I wanted it.  So, how do I access/mount a share from Win98 or from another Linux (one of which is vfat)?  Actually, I was using Win98 as an intermediary to transfer between the 2 Linux boxes.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 05:35:27 am »

Searched 'dmesg' for nofication of what failed on bootup - not found.  (Rebooting in TUI found the failure was on the remote file mounts. I'll study man some more)  But did have these questions:

Tells us
Detected 497.834 MHz processor.
but not that this is "PIII (Katmai)".

Yhought this was 32MB!  After several readings realized it was near 256NB
Memory: 379676k/393216k available (5577k kernel code, 12960k reserved, 2622k data, 404k init, 0k highmem)

Why is the following pair repeated 34 times?
bootsplash 3.1.6-2004/03/31: looking for picture...<6> silentjpeg size 65348 bytes,<6>...found (1024x768, 70299 bytes, v3).
bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on

Also, used gslapt to install GnuCash.  When launching it, it prepares to display Tip but exits before filling in the text.
Attempted in console
bruce:$ gnucash
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.

ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/lib/slib/mklibcat"
There is "/usr/lib/slib/mklibcat.scm"

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2009, 11:49:51 am »

I can't seem to chat on the MSN network with Pidgin. It works fine in VL5.9 though. I'm not sure what causes it. I thought it would be the firewall, but /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall is not executable, and Vasm says no firewalls are setup.

[edit]
When I enter a wrong password, it does tell me reasonably fast that it's wrong. So the pass is ok.
[edit]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 12:57:21 pm by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Nick_13ro

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2009, 12:08:40 pm »

I can't seem to chat on the MSN network with Pidgin. It works fine in VL5.9 though. I'm not sure what causes it. I thought it would be the firewall, but /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall is not executable, and Vasm says no firewalls are setup.

It seemed to have great difficulty connecting to msn here too besides the apparent lack of spell checking support I mentioned before.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2009, 07:24:32 pm »

never_stop_learning:  Please don't misunderstand me.  I think your report is important.  I know Vector and Uelsk8s have been working very hard on video configuration and getting it right.  I was hoping you could provide them the info they need to succeed is all.

No worries..... Cool

Here is one of the offenders - Gateway with an Intel 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller.

I installed RC3 on my test IBM X22:

-Computer-
Processor      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) III Mobile CPU       800MHz
Memory      : 639MB (174MB used)
Operating System      : 6.0 Standard RC3 built on Jan-13-09
-Display-
Resolution      : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor      : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : ICH - Intel 82801CA-ICH3

Wicd does not appear in the system tray, nor will it start from the menu.

The Terminal resolution is not good and hides typing until I press enter.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2009, 07:32:09 pm »

StrayBit,
There is a new gnucash in the testing repo, can you give that one a try and see if it works for you?
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 07:17:17 am »

Thanks, uelsk8s.

I tried to update - no change

Removed then install - still no change

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: