VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 02:40:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 37946 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:49 pm »

so rebooted thinking i could load nvidia driver. Ok got to xfce gui, but couldnt go to init 2(init 3 either)in terminal as root to install nvidia driver.

Same here, couldn't get to init 2 from within gui or with safe console session so had to reboot to tui and then load nvidia which installed without issue.

Wicd network manager does nothing from the start menu and from a console gives this:
Code:
pavilion://home/mscott
root:# wicd
/var/run/wicd/wicd.pid

Mike: IIRC wicd launches only the daemon and has no user interface. Try wicd-client or similar, not at my box and quoting from my memory Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Kosh

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 12:13:12 am »

I have a Radeon 9200 video card with which the proprietary ATI driver has not worked, so I didn't even install that driver. I use the xorg "radeon" driver and have 3D, 24 bits, and support for my 1280x1024 LCD monitor.

AFAIK current proprietary ATI driver, fglrx, only works with Radeon 9500 and newer (R300 chip series and newer), but not with Radeon 7000-9250 (R100 & R200 series)

Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2L, chipset intel G31/ICH7
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo
Video Card :ATI Radeon HD4650 (RV730)
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 (SATA)
HD SATA Samsung 753LJ
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 12:46:58 am »

AFAIK current proprietary ATI driver, fglrx, only works with Radeon 9500 and newer (R300 chip series and newer), but not with Radeon 7000-9250 (R100 & R200 series)

That has been the case with the 9200. I think it's something with the newer kernels or newer xorg. (I knew once but have forgotten.) I'm content with xorg's radeon driver.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:51 am »

RC3--Tap and Scroll are not activated by default.  Getting them going is not a simple matter for a newbie who would be hoping to see them working after selecting the touchpad option in the xorg set-up.

One thing that could help here would be to have gsynaptics (in the iso or the repos).
I think it does not have any big dependencies, but it requires at least one option in xorg.conf, that I don't know if it shows up by default.
We can always add this to the repos later.

13. This has always bugged me, in the VLFreeMem application could the window box be stretch out so that the columns do not overlap each other.  Nice little VL app, but poor appearance.

Changing the script to have "free -m" instead of "free" helps a bit in terms of space and facilitates reading.
EyesOnly

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 05:51:26 am »

Hi all,

I haven't installed RC3 (yet anyway Wink ) and I noticed that pevsner has said that the fonts in the GUI installer (?) seemed to have been fixed---but what about throughout/system-wide in RC3?

I ask because I tried RC2 and had to remove it within a day. No matter what I did I simply couldn't clear up the fonts, and with my bad vision sharply delineated fonting is an absolute must-have. Seemed odd as I compared the settings with VL-5.9 Light and everything was the exact same from what I could see so I could only think it was something dealing with the kernel versions being different? But what do I know? Wink

So I'm interested in hearing what you folks have to say about the font issue. Thanks!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 07:13:23 am »

Mike: IIRC wicd launches only the daemon and has no user interface. Try wicd-client or similar, not at my box and quoting from my memory Smiley

The first time I tried the client I got several error messages (but didn't capture them). Now the client starts the applet in the task tray. Perhaps I didn't have the daemon running the first time. Thanks, now on to try other fun options...

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 08:49:33 am »

RC3--Tap and Scroll are not activated by default.  Getting them going is not a simple matter for a newbie who would be hoping to see them working after selecting the touchpad option in the xorg set-up.

One thing that could help here would be to have gsynaptics (in the iso or the repos).
I think it does not have any big dependencies, but it requires at least one option in xorg.conf, that I don't know if it shows up by default.
We can always add this to the repos later.

I have been using synaptics-20080519-i486-1pg.tgz from slackey.eu.  Tap and scroll work immediately once x is restarted. (as long as touchpad set-up was done in xorg).  I don't know why it is not the same with  xf86-input-synaptics included in distro. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:52:49 am »

Kocil is "Dynamite Man" ... could I be considered as "Fuse Lighter" ?   Shocked Grin
Well, ok, the glitches listed here aren't *that* serious.

VL6 std, RC3

= Test_platform
dual-core Pent.
finicky Intel mobo
onboard NIC: Realtek RTL-8139
onboard Vid: ATI Radeon x200
80 GB SATA w/multiple partitions
*Selected "ATI" drivers at install

= Glitch/bug report: INSTALLER
1.1. Install - OK up to configure partitions.
1.2. Used back arrow to look again at space requirements and layout.
1.3. Previous info for root, home, etc. no longer displayed. (Not necessarily a bug, but a bit disconcerting.)
1.4. Didn't engage brain to notice that "search again"  needed to refresh info (- just assumed it'd be there).
1.5. Decided to bail out and use GParted from Parted Magic live. (For reasons other than installing VL6.) 
1.6. ** Clicked 'exit install' ...
1.7. All gui widgets were cleared from screen - only grey background remained... no status messages.
1.8. No drive activity, nothing. I didn't try any keys on kbd, just left it, assuming it might be shutting down.
1.9. Left alone for >5 minutes - nothing.
1.10. Ctrl-alt-del = no effect. Had to light the fuse...

= bug report: LOGIN PANEL - 1 of 2
2.1. Re-installed, configured, no users - only root, default gui - all OK. Sweet!
2.2. Shutdown, from 'menu'.
2.3. Hard restart.
2.4. ** At login panel, clicked on "session" BEFORE clicking on "root" icon,
       and BEFORE clicking in user id/pswd text box.
2.5. Mouse and keyboard locked up.
2.6. Ctrl-alt-del = no effect. Had to light another fuse...
Notes: saw similar behavior also in RC2

= bug report: LOGIN PANEL - 2 of 2
3.1. Re-installed, configured, added one user in addition to root, default gui - all A-OK!
3.2. Shutdown, from 'menu'.
3.3. Hard restart.
3.4. ** At login panel, clicked on "CONFIGURE"  BEFORE clicking on "root" icon,
       and BEFORE clicking in user id/pswd text box.
3.5. Focus went to root icon, highlighting it ... (which makes sense, as you'd need to be root to configure.)
3.6. Clicked on pswd text box to set focus there.
3.7. Mouse and keyboard locked up. (But could have already been at step 3.5.)
3.8. Ctrl-alt-del = no effect.

Pass me a fuse, please   Tongue

~~
~
 |
(0)

- Howard in Florida
(Vector rocks!)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:50:01 pm by WinDoze » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
pevsner

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 02:47:56 pm »

Eyesonly - Yes the fonts all look great.
As i said before had a crash on install (during nvidia driver), had to redo lilo from cd, then could run tui and i installed the nvidia173.xx.xx that vector prepared for an earlier rc. Have to say now thats all sorted I am up and running with a real nice fast distro.
I do prefer to install using text based, will it be updated to be a s the gui install?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:29:25 pm »

I got the same impossibility for mounting an NTFS drive as user as I had in RC2. This appears to be by design rather than a bug.

Inkscape no longer complains about missing dependencies. The online Help for GQview is not where the program is looking for it. It's in /usr/doc/gqview-2.1.5 and GQview is looking for it in /usr/share/doc/gqview-2.1.5. A symlink fixes it.

I installed a USB printer and a printer on a print server without problems. Setting up CUPS through VASMCC still gives the 404. Couldn't this be fixed by making it http://localhost:631/admin? Apparently it takes you to just http://localhost:631 now, which leads to the 404. A newbie would be wondering what to do.

In the text installer, there is a mistake that should be fixed to make us look better. At Ready to Install, the line says "whenever you are ready too:" That should be "whenever you are ready to:" It is followed by three choices, two of which are verbs. The second choice - back - should be "back out" or "go back" to be consistent with the other two.

At Let the Games Begin right before the first reboot, the user is advised to remove CDs and floppy disks. That's fine if you installed LILO in the MBR, but if you installed LILO on a floppy disk, YOU HAVE TO LEAVE IT IN. I think the instructions should be modified to say "remove floppy disks unless you installed LILO on a floppy."

I haven't found any actual bugs so far. Everything is working as expected (the NTFS mounting isn't a bug). I love it.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 07:13:29 pm »

I installed a USB printer and a printer on a print server without problems.

GrannyGeek,

In cups when it comes to choosing a Device do you see 'Unknown' and in /etc/cups/printers.conf
how does the line DeviceUri: look for the USB port printer? That Device 'Unknown' is
needed for my printer and I see it only in VL6-LIGHT or for that matter in slackware.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 09:02:21 pm »

-locate works for user not just root
-screen blanks after a while (screensaver?) but does not resume with mouse movement, touch pad activity, or any keystrokes except the one to change monitors (fn-F4). I only have one which is built into the laptop. When I open the screensaver applet and select any option the screen blanks and I have to press fn-F4 to get the display back. After disabling the screensaver this behavior seems to stop.
-same PySol problem listed above, tried symlinking libtcl8.4.so and libtk8.4.so to the lib--8.5.so versions but that didn't work (version mismatch complaint...imagine that).
-still can't "lock" the screen using the lock screen option of the action button on the task tray; logout works as expected

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:56 pm »

In cups when it comes to choosing a Device do you see 'Unknown' and in /etc/cups/printers.conf
how does the line DeviceUri: look for the USB port printer? That Device 'Unknown' is
needed for my printer and I see it only in VL6-LIGHT or for that matter in slackware.

I don't recall seeing a device Unknown but I'll have to check tomorrow. In /etc/cups/printers.conf this is the line you asked about:

DeviceURI usb://Lexmark%20/1200%20Series

I don't know if that helps any.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 02:05:05 am »

I don't recall seeing a device Unknown but I'll have to check tomorrow. In /etc/cups/printers.conf this is the line you asked about:

DeviceURI usb://Lexmark%20/1200%20Series

I don't know if that helps any.
--GrannyGeek

Thanks! Then one more question, if there is no Device: "Unknown" what device did you use?

Regards
pevsner

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:04 am »

Setting up keyboard mapping to UK ( I usually do it after the install ), xorg.conf stays as "US" and I have to manually edit it to "gb".

Hplip version 2.8.4 is the only version that doesnt have an A3 option, which is the reason I got that model of printer.
I am going to try adding a new ppd, because updating hplip from a linuxpackages version didnt work.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: