VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:42:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC-3 feedback and bug reports  (Read 37896 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2009, 07:25:07 am »

you are trying this package? gnucash-2.2.8-i586-1vl60.tlz
it is in the testing repo so make sure you have that enabled.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2009, 08:38:33 am »

Yes sir.  Enabled .../testing then tried the upgrade then remove/install

Made a little progress here
Code:
Compaq://usr/lib/slib
root:# ln mklibcat.scm mklibcat
bruce:$ gnucash
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.

ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: Permission denied: "/usr/share/guile/1.8/slibcat"
bruce:$ su
Password:
You are working as root
Frequently used programs:
Configuration  : vasm
Package manager: slapt-get, pkg
Network tools  : ifconfig, host, ping, nmap, iptables
File manager   : mc (press F2 for useful menu)
Editor         : mcedit, nano, vi
Multimedia     : alsamixer, play
localuser:root being added to access control list
root:# gnucash
gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure time.
and it is running as I write this.

I guess I have to be root to run it Angry

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
sgla1

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2009, 11:33:40 am »

I am running VL 6 RC3 on a vanilla amd desktop.  I just locked gdm hard, requiring a ctrl+alt+back to unfreeze it.  Here's what I did:

I was running lxde > logout > type username in greeter/gdm > enter > type passwd in greeter > click sessions button > total lock up.

Bummer, I love vl 6.  Cheers

Steve G
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2009, 01:19:22 pm »

StrayBit:  Yes, you have to be root to install software on Vector Linux, always. 

I can confirm that the gdm lockup problem isn't fixed in rc3.2.  It's much less frequent than before (it's happened exactly once to me) but it's still there.

I detailed the problems with the GUI installer on my Toshiba to M0E_lnx save one:

On the bootloader install section I changed the name of the menu entry from VectorLinux to VectorLinux6.  This produced an error that said my name was too long but rather than giving me a chance to change it the installer went ahead and installed lilo anyway.  It worked fine with the long name so it was the error message that was in error.

I find it interesting (weird) that the text installer lets you choose between HAL and VL-Hot but I didn't get that choice in the GUI installer.  I got HAL whether I liked it or not.  I also find it interesting that jfs is a filesystem choice in the GUI installer but not the text installer.

I'm currently doing an install of rc 3.2 with the GUI installer on my Sylvania g Netbook.  I'll post my feedback on that installation shortly.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
todds

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »

I currently am running the rc3 on a emachines d620 laptop,with an ATI X1200 express video cardhad the following issues and suggestions as follows:-

When selecting the ati proprietary driver,there is an error message that comes up briefly but i cannot read it something along the lines of there is an error with your installation of your driver,this also happened in the rc2.Upon booting the system it dumps me to a terminal screen and does not start the xserver. I then checked the xorg.conf and the driver listed was shown as radeon the xorg driver,i changed this to  fglrx and the xserver started and i was able to boot and had direct 3d rendering working as well.Now on rc2 it displayed the same behavouir and selected the radeon driver but i was able to boot to the desktop,when i then changed this to fglrx it also worked but didnt have any 3d rendering enabled.

so we have some progress as far as iam concerned on one hand as i now have direct rendering enabled by the fglrx driver but also have some regression also as it does not boot the radeon driver after the issue with installation of the proprietary ati driver.

I also had an issue with my touchpad even though i selected this driver,i could not double click on any folder,i managed to resolve this from a previous post by adding the following entry into xorg.conf Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"    Option "TapButton1" "1".

i really think this should be added in a standard install from a usability point of viewautomatically as a new user would struggle to sort this minor but annoying issue out.

I also noticed some inconsitency in logging in where if you mistyped the wrong username,selecting the picture and name on the left hand side would not input your name automatically again,you had to type it in manually.

Iam using this rc3 full time at the moment and iam very impressed with it so far to say the least,it is the only distribution to set up my atheros 5007 wireless card correctly without ndiswrapper,wicd works perfectly.Mepis 8.0,Slackware 12.2 both needed ndiswrapper to suceed in this and ubuntu was a nightmare it would not work what so ever,so you should be congratulated.

VL 6.0 RC3 on Athlon AMD Athlon™ 2650e Emachines D620
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2009, 03:42:55 pm »

One curious thing I've just hit - I'm trying to recover some data from a disk damaged by a power problem. I've got the disk (80 GB SATA) plugged into a universal USB adapter. When I plug it into the machine running RC3 (which is my best option - the data I need to recover is on an HPFS partition), Vector tries to mount all the partitions. Due to the damage, this either taks a long time or never completes. So, since the tools I'm using to attempt data recovery are text mode anyway, I decided to use 'init 3' to kill X and go to console. Only it doesn't work under RC3 at all - enter the command from a root xterm and it simply goes back to the prompt.

I'm currently back in 5.9 standard, where 'init 3' works fine, so I can do things like make an image of the damaged partition and run diagnostics on the disk. But I've no idea why the init command is doing nothing under VL 6.0.

paul.
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2009, 04:49:58 pm »

.....I'm currently doing an install of rc 3.2 with the GUI installer on my Sylvania g Netbook.  I'll post my feedback on that installation shortly.

Caitlyn - Is the current RC3 listed really 3.2?

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
sgla1

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2009, 05:36:02 pm »

I can confirm  that on VL rc3 the ati proprietary driver will not work -- x will not start

here's a listing of my hardware:
root:# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge (rev 10)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI-X Root Port
00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 11)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge
00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 20)

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Cheers, Steve G
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2009, 07:54:07 pm »

StrayBit:  Yes, you have to be root to install software on Vector Linux, always.
Gslapt asks for root password to run and it installed it.  I was trying to run it as an application and it just vanished when invoked from menu and also when invoked from console,  It wasn't until I invoked su that it would complete opening the Tip screen.

It seems to me that if one must be root to run it, it should NOT be on the user menu.  I'm trying to adjust to the concept that the owner of the machine is treated like an untrusted slave!

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2009, 09:23:31 pm »

.....I'm currently doing an install of rc 3.2 with the GUI installer on my Sylvania g Netbook.  I'll post my feedback on that installation shortly.

Caitlyn - Is the current RC3 listed really 3.2?

rc3.2 is the second iso issued since rc3.  I believe it was created specifically to get the gui installer working on machines with Trident video chipsets, including my Toshiba.  It does have a few other fixes but is not a major change from rc3.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:25:10 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2009, 09:27:53 pm »

Gslapt asks for root password to run and it installed it.  I was trying to run it as an application and it just vanished when invoked from menu and also when invoked from console,  It wasn't until I invoked su that it would complete opening the Tip screen.

It seems to me that if one must be root to run it, it should NOT be on the user menu.  I'm trying to adjust to the concept that the owner of the machine is treated like an untrusted slave!

It belongs in the user menu.  It should prompt you for a password and then either just work or else give you a password error if you make a mistake keying in the root password.

One of the major security flaws of Windows is that everyone is treated like G-d and can destroy pretty much whatever they want on their own machine.  That's fine for the hom euser but not for office or shared machines.  Linux has a UNIX heritage which assumes networks and multiple users.  Oh, and yes, it protects people from their own stupidity.  I prefer the Linux/UNIX model, personally.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
todds

« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2009, 12:09:20 am »

I can confirm  that on VL rc3 the ati proprietary driver will not work -- x will not start

here's a listing of my hardware:
root:# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 Host Bridge (rev 10)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI-X Root Port
00:05.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 PCI Bridge
00:12.0 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 Serial ATA Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB Host Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 USB2 Host Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 SMBus Controller (rev 11)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 IDE Controller
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-ISA Bridge
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 PCI-PCI Bridge
00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 20)

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Cheers, Steve G

Steve i had to edit the xorg.conf and place fglrx in the driver section to get the ati driver to function correctly as my previous post

todds

« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2009, 12:21:01 am »

Following on from my recent post i have also noticed that if you change the keyboard map say to the uk under vasm it dosen`t seem to work,i had to edit xorg.conf and change the default from us to the uk,yet again nothing major but just a little thing that new users might find frustrating when their keyboard dosen`t work as expected.

thanks todders

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2009, 03:59:22 am »

New install on an Athlon 64 X2 4850e using GUI inastaller went pretty well but I made the following notes:

1) In "Select partition you wish to use" screen the back button does nothing.
 2) I set /home as seperate new partition this time and was later on asked "Setup has detected existing directories in the partition you selected for /home. Would you like to import the user accounts."......erm it was a new freshly formated partition!!!
 3) As others have reported Nvidia driver fails to install so I had to install manually.

Once installed I tried to enable sshd using vasm. Vasm reports that sshd is now running but issuing "ps aux | grep sshd" in a terminal suggest otherwise. The only way I can get sshd running is to start it manually so it seems vasm is lying.

Cheers,

Chris
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2009, 06:50:20 am »

File manager CDROM eject issue

VL6 std, RC3
using LXDE
(stock) PCMan File Manager 0.5

1. Insert CD
2. Mount it (right click on cd-rw/dvd-rom drive, select Mount File System)
Works fine, directly use or copy files, etc.
3. At this point, I tried to physically eject it using the device's button, but no go
- which may be correct since it's not umounted.

4. Then tried to remove it using the file manager - there is no umount option, just one for eject
*** Selecting that option causes:
 "Unable to eject device"
 "Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure"

5. THEN the eject button works.

Was able to replicate the problem at will, even without trying to physically eject it first.

Can post system details, if required.
-H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: