VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: How to remove Adobe reader/  (Read 6511 times)

redandwhitestripes

How to remove Adobe reader/
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:30:07 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm a Linux newbie running Standard Edition on a Compaq Presario.

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader?

It is causing no problems but I simply don't like Adobe on principle and I prefer Foxit reader.

I searched the FAQ pages and this forum before posting my question.

Many thanks,
Greg

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
Re: How to remove Adobe reader/
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:17 am »

Which version of VL are you running?  Did you install Acrobat Reader from a VL package in our repository or did you download it and install it directly from Adobe?
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

redandwhitestripes

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:52:45 am »

Hi Caitlyn,

I'm running 5.9 (just got it yesterday) and I didn't install from repository. There was an optional PDF reader install on the CD but I don't think it was identified as Adobe. If it had, I would have declined to install it  :D .

Colonel Panic

• Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:36:44 am »

I've always found that Adobe Reader installs to its own directory; it doesn't mix its libraries in with others at all. It's therefore safe and easy to uninstall.

Here's how I would go about it. Do a search with a good file manager such as Midnight Commander for a file called "acroread;" that should be in a subdirectory called bin, which in turn should be in another subdirectory called Adobe Reader X (whatever the version number of the reader is; mine is 8 ). There might be another subdirectory or two between the Adobe Reader one and the bin one.

Now delete the whole branch of subdirectories from the Adobe Reader X onwards, i.e. including acroread. It's quite safe to do so and it won't affect anything else in your Vector installation at all.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:27:53 pm by Colonel Panic »

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:36 pm »

The name of the package is acroread. Running
Code: [Select]
removepkg acroread
as root should do it.
The folders Colonel Panic refers to are in /opt/Adobe/

HTH
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:09:00 pm »

Rodrigo, he didn't install from a repo package.  He has no package to remove, unfortunately.

It is always much, much easier when people stick with VL packages from the repo.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 05:17:10 am »

Rodrigo, he didn't install from a repo package.  He has no package to remove, unfortunately.

"removepkg acroread" worked here, even though it came with the installation of 5.9 (deluxe) .
After removing, however, there is no package in the repo that I can see, so reinstalling is not possible (except by downloading and running the adobe script).
Also, the adobe installation does not seem to add an icon and .desktop file.

I cannot run foxit reader, either... always get a segfault.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:59:45 am »

It is always much, much easier when people stick with VL packages from the repo.

Oops, I missed that one, thanks for the catch.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!