VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 04:18:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Play Music CD VL 5.9 installed as guest OS in Virtualbox  (Read 1814 times)
wahfun

« on: January 14, 2009, 04:07:47 pm »

For a couple of weeks now, I have been using VL 5.9 standard installed as a guest OS in Virtualbox before I install it on my HD. So far, I have pretty much tested the basics: word processing, internet, customizing, etc and everything has worked like a charm. Today, I continue to experiment and tried playing a music CD and movie DVD. ALAS! No luck. None of the programs designed to play these media work. Since everything else has worked so well, I assume it is either because VL is running in VB or I am doing something incorrectly. If anyone has done this successfully, I would appreciate some direction. I have searched this site as well as googling but so far nothing relevant has turned up.

My system is a Dell Desktop AMD Dual Core, with 2 meg RAM, running at 2 Ghz.

Thx
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »

Have you enabled the cdrom in Virtualbox? Does other
cd media work?

Bigpaws
wahfun

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:57 am »

The answer is yes to both your questions. I have done all the steps suggested in the Virtual Box manual, done a complete reinstall,  tried VLC and nothing  has helped. I must say this is frustrating. VL, so far, is the only distro I have tried in which I haven't been able to play both types of media. This problem seems to be related to VL. With all the great performance VL is giving, it seems unusual that this is a problem.  Anyway, if anyone has any further suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Thx
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 11:04:53 am »

I would try playing from console with cdda-player to see if you get some error message. Also dmesg could give some cd-rom related pointer.

HTH

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:30:46 am »

Exactly what is not working?... on your movies... do you see video but have no audio?

Do you see the play progress on audio CD's but no audio coming out of the speakers?

You must make sure you enable the audio controller on the virtualbox configuration window for this virtual machine.

I do it on a windows host all the time and it works.

wahfun

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:21 am »

Thanks to all for replying. Here's what has happened so far. As I said previously, all settings are correct in VB (CD/DVD ROM enabled with passthrough; audio controller enabled), and guest additions are installed. Now, I found a video player named Ogle that plays the movies just fine. However, the music cd's are still a problem. By that I mean Rythmbox or VLC will neither open or play any sound track. Also, previously mentioned, this has not been a problem in other Linux Distros (ubuntu, mint, fedora) I have tried. Since those are based on different systems than slackware, I am wondering if this problem may be slackware based. At any rate, I hope I can get this resolved because I really like VL so far. I do not want to do a partition install just yet even though that might resolve the problem. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: