VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 01:54:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Secure shredding program suggestions  (Read 2526 times)
Monty67

« on: January 15, 2009, 12:56:51 pm »

Hello.

Given the amount of personal data that gets stored on a hdd I always use Erasor on the windows machines to "hopefully" secure the drive before reusing it. For linux I've read about the following but sadly they are not available in gslapt

shred
srm
smem

Just to name a few.
Any suggestions that are in gslapt?

thanks for the help

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
sgla1

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:25:59 pm »

I have used "boot and nuke".  It's a bootable disk wipe utility.  See http://www.dban.org/
Monty67

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 05:30:52 pm »

thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
EyesOnly

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:52:54 am »

Hi Monty!

What desktop are you running in VL? I know you've mentioned it in other threads seems so but I've since forgotten, sorry. If you were running the KDE desktop and managed to install Krusader, which is an awesome dual-pane file manage leagues beyond XFE (yet I still prefer XFE myself), highlighting and right-clicking a file in there gives the option to "shred" the file. Now whether or not it does full-blown directories as well I can't recall ATM---I'd have to go boot into my other distro which has KDE to see.

Hmm... come to think of it? If you're running VL and have just the default XFCE desktop? If it's the version containing K3b in it for burning CDs/DVDs then chances are very high you could run Krusader without getting too deeply into Dependency Hell as you should already have the basic KDElibs along with qt3.3.8 installed to run K3b, see? Just a thought anyway.

And that's my take on the situation without nuking the entire drive with endless 0's and 1's. Grin

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »

good thread..I was looking for the same...eraser would erase or 35xoverwrite all unused space on the drive includeing vacant clusters so you could give the unit away without a reinstall and most programs for viewing /recovering deleted files would find nothing...Dban bootNnuke seems to work for entire drives..wonder how many times overwrite is "shred"

Everything Is Relative
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:44:24 pm »

The default on shred is 25.

You can change that.

Bigpaws
sgla1

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 09:12:12 pm »

Overthere, you are correct that dban bootNnuke is for wiping entire drives so they can be re-used safely (safe for the previous user, anyway).  You can specify the number of passes, air it's pretty flexible and will do a mil-spec wipe if you tell it to.

Cheers,
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 02:30:24 pm »

Shred also works for entire drives and seems to do a good job.
For great security, go for "shred -vuz /dev/hda".
(although the 25 passes might take a very long time...)
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:33:20 am »

If you want something small and simple then srm should fit the bill. Although it's not in the reps it's a tiny download and installs without fuss. Just use it instead of the rm command. It can overwrite files or folders multiple times with the -D switch. My guess is that unless you are giving your hard drive to someone extremely clever your data should be safe.

Andy
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 09:17:45 am »

I'm always worried when I reinstall my VL, or installing a new version, that it will pick up my previous mistakes.  And they are many!  Angry  Even changing from that new xfs (Huh) to reiser didn't work! 

It sounds like one of these might do the job?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: