VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:14:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi, New here, 5.9 light freezing on boot after clean install  (Read 3658 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 06:02:34 am »

Does the machine have a permanent floppy drive that you can try installing LILO to?
lionellinux

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 02:20:35 pm »

Sadly no floppy drive at all,
I'm either going to completley wipe the disk with killdisk or similar and  attempt one more install or is grub installable/advisable.

If it helps any when i boot and set the path from a cd boot I still get a cd error half way through, something ike  cdromxxxx not present  Huh

LL
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 02:42:06 pm »

If you have not already wiped it out.. what happens when you select "2.6.22.19" boot option?

If/when you re-install, if the default boot runs the installer okay, try UN-checking the additional kernel during install.
lionellinux

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 04:27:55 pm »

Thats the thing,

They are all labelled 2.6.22.19 and on all the installs I have only selected one kernel, the gui option, only to be presented with 4 options on the initial lilo screen Huh

Clueless !!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07:04 pm »

Yes, 5.9 Light comes with two different kernels, "2.6.22.19" and "ide-2.6.22.19". The first one is the default one. However, if you choose to install the "ide" version, it becomes the first choice. The first three choices on the boot menu all use the same kernel, just different options. For Light, choice #4 is the different kernel (assuming no other OS involved).

If the installer launches using the default kernel, I would recommend UN-checking the optional one during install.
lionellinux

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 12:22:49 am »

ooh ooh ooh  it just booted in option 4 oooh oooh,

What does this mean and how do i make it the default, I had a disk killer in my hand ready to go...

I havent put it away, just merely to the side  Tongue
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 02:35:28 pm »

As root, open /etc/lilo.conf and look at the fourth entry (starts with "Partition # 4:). Take note of the "label" entry. Now scroll back up to the line which says "default = linux" and change it to "default = 2.6.22.19" (or whatever the label says). Save the file.

Next, run command "lilo" in a terminal. If no fatal errors, you should be set.
lionellinux

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 02:04:26 pm »

Thanks so much for this,

It now boots up with very little problems, I can at least turn it on, walk away, make a cuppa, come back and its ready to go. Smiley
I did  notice that it has a very long think when it reaches something to do with the cd rom, it says cd rom {device} not found ??
but it continues ater a think and loads after that. The cd rom is then available within VL.
That really is the least of my worries, it all works and boots,
Thankyou all again for your help, as soon as my net quota is back up I will grab the daddy version and put it on my main machine.

Thanks again

LL
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 03:51:21 pm »

And thank you for reporting back on your success. It is nice when things come together.  Smiley

Do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: