VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 05:50:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nfs error  (Read 2405 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: January 26, 2009, 03:24:32 pm »

I'm attempting to setup my home network per http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=669.0 with modification for my setup.  All went well on 5.9 standard except I hadn't tried to mount the VL6 shares yet.

On VL6, fstab has
Code:
Human:/mnt/win /mnt/win-arc vfat users 0 0
I get the following when I try to mount
root:# mount /mnt/Humanmount.nfs: internal error
It shows nfs-utils version 1.1.2-i486-1 installed and  latest.

I rebooted both machines:
Compaq still has the same error.
Vector shows
root #mount Compaq
mount: unknown file system 'nfs'
I have been having trouble with gslapt on this machine for sometime: it keeps erroring on several of the links when I try to update.  I have tried several other mirrors with no luck.  I would prefer to wait for 6.0-final to update it.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:07 pm »

I'm attempting to setup my home network per http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=669.0 with modification for my setup.  All went well on 5.9 standard except I hadn't tried to mount the VL6 shares yet.

On VL6, fstab has
Code:
Human:/mnt/win /mnt/win-arc vfat users 0 0
I get the following when I try to mount
It shows nfs-utils version 1.1.2-i486-1 installed and  latest.

I rebooted both machines:
Compaq still has the same error.
Vector shows
root #mount Compaq
mount: unknown file system 'nfs'
I have been having trouble with gslapt on this machine for sometime: it keeps erroring on several of the links when I try to update.  I have tried several other mirrors with no luck.  I would prefer to wait for 6.0-final to update it.

I wrote that HowTo but as I hope I made clear, I am in no way an expert on nfs. All I know is what works for me.

It looks like you're trying to mount a Windows share. That makes things much more complicated with nfs. I don't think you can simply mount a Windows partition in the usual way I descibed in the HowTo. You need to use Samba for that. I know there is some program you can run on Windows to enable Windows to share files through nfs, but I don't know the name and certainly don't know how to use it. Google should be your friend here.

I once set up nfs sharing of a Windows directory that was mounted in Linux on the other computer. It wasn't difficult but I don't remember how I did it. I may have a copy of fstab from the time when I did it, but I haven't had a chance to look. Note: this was a directory that was mounted under /mnt/win-h on the other computer. Linux was the running operating system, not Windows. You can't mount an nfs share when Windows is the running operating system unless you install a program *on Windows* to provide nfs capability, as I mentioned above. Windows doesn't need anything extra to share under Samba. I use nfs for Linux-to-Linux networking. For sharing a few files between Linux and Windows, I use Konqueror, which is the easiest way to share files between Linux and Windows that I've ever found--no Samba to set up.

For the /etc/fstab line you quoted, I see you identified the file system as vfat. Have you tried using nfs as the file system type? The actual file system on the Linux shares I mount through nfs is reiserfs, but in /etc/fstab they are identified as nfs.

On your line

shouldn't that be mount /mnt/win-arc?

I also don't understand this:
root #mount Compaq

You need to give the mount point for Compaq. What is the mount point in /etc/fstab?

I assume you've made the necessary entries in /etc/exports, /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/hosts.deny.

Let me know how it goes.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:35:53 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:52:22 am »

You got it working so you are more of an 'expert' than I am.  Also, your aim was very close to what I wanted which made it easy to cut and paste.  I didn't mention how many times I had to redo some things mostly due to misspelling (it was rpc.nfsd, not rpc.nfcd!)

Opps!  That line was supposed to be #mount /mnt/Compaq.  Thats what I get trying to enter the commands given on one PC in a message on the other.  (Hmm... Since that was cut and paste, maybe I did key it wrong.  I don't believe I'd make the same mistake before and after the re-boot.  I can't remember now, which machine I used to post last night.)

I'm on Vector, now.  In fstab I have
Code:
# Shared Windows/Linux partition
/dev/hdc1   /mnt/win  vfat   fmask=111,dmask=0,quiet,shortname=mixed,user  0 
Gateway:/C /mnt/win98 cifs credentials=/root/cred,servern=GATEWAY,_netdev  0  0
Compaq:/ /mnt/Compaq nsf users 0 0
FreeDos:/ /mnt/FreeDos cifs users,noauto,rw 0 0
Gateway has worked but is being a pill and not allowing ANYONE to access him - and I've had several different ways of making the connection that would work for a while, then fizzle out.  And I haven't even tried FreeDos yet.  I want to get the VL machines to talk to each other then work on the others.

Also, currently, this machine is Vector.  The next time I install/upgrade, I'll call it Human which is the name on the front of the machine.  The mount point on Compaq is called Human and I only will need to adjust fstab when I make the change.

Also, I forgot to mention that Vector has nfs-utils version 1.1.2-i486-2.

On Vector, hdc1 is the old win98 that was on this machine and was no longer boot able.  I've removed most of the os and use the drive to hold all the stuff I worked on in Windows.  As you see, it is mounted on /mnt/win.  On Compaq, I created /mnt/win-arc to differentiate when Gateway (working win98) is also mounted.

Hmm... I see I also missed entering the line for Human in my fstab.  I should have also added
Code:
Vector:/ /mnt/Compaq nsf users 0 0
And, once I turn it back on,  will double check that I used Vector:/mnt/win instead of Human. (I must send that pencil back to school!)

In exports, I started with what you had.  After studying man (and most of the time I'm like you about understanding it!) I wound up with
Code:
/ *.linux.net(rw,sync,no_root_squash,subtree_check)
/mnt/win *.linux.net(rw,sync,no_root_squash,subtree_check)

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:11 pm »

I'm very confused and will need some time to figure out your configuration. Is it working? I wasn't sure from your message.

I've just now installed RC4 on my Gateway laptop, which was running 5.9 Standard Deluxe before I installed RC4. I had a VERY difficult time getting the wireless to work, but once I succeeded with that, I set up the wireless network on the first try.

I noticed you had cifs as a file system on two of the shared directories and nsf on one. If that's not just a typing error, it should be nfs. I've never used anything but nfs.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 04:59:57 am »

I got Gateway working on both VL machines last night - but see that I have to manually mount it this morning!  Note the nfs errors on each!  I plan to upgrade Compaq from RC3 to RC4 this morning and see what difference - if any.

Vector fstab:
Code:
/dev/hdc1   /mnt/win  vfat   fmask=111,dmask=0,quiet,shortname=mixed,user  0  0
Gateway:C /mnt/win98 cifs credentials=/home/bruce/cred,uid=bruce,servern=GATEWAY,domain=FOWLPLAY,rw,setuids,nocase,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,  0 0
Compaq:/ /mnt/Compaq nsf users 0 0
root:# mount /mnt/Compaq
mount: unknown filesystem type 'nsf'
vector:/~
root:# mount /mnt/win98
Code:
Compaq:/ /mnt/Compaq cifs users 0 0
Password:
mount error 111 = Connection refused
Refer to the mount.cifs( 8 ) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Code:
Compaq:/ /mnt/Compaq cifs credentials=/home/bruce/cred 0 0
mount error 111 = Connection refused
Refer to the mount.cifs( 8 ) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Compaq fstab:
Code:
Gateway:C /mnt/Gateway cifs credentials=/home/bruce/cred,uid=bruce,servern=GATEWAY,domain=FOWLPLAY,rw,setuids,nocase,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,  0 0
Vector:/ /mnt/Human nfs users 0 0
Human:/mnt/win /mnt/win-arc nfs users 0 0
bruce:$ mount /mnt/Gateway
mount: only root can mount Gateway:C on /mnt/Gateway
Compaq:/~
bruce:$ su
Compaq://home/bruce
root:# mount /mnt/Human
mount.nfs: internal error
Compaq://home/bruce
root:# mount /mnt/Gateway
(Instead of relying on memory to hand type, I cut and pasted to mousepad, then emailed the document to myself.)

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:42:59 am »

Vector:
-looks like misspelling of 'nfs'; your quote shows 'nsf'

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 11:38:43 am »

I don't automount nfs shares, I always do it manually. Same for NTFS partitions. I do automount FAT32 partitions if I use them regularly.

As newtor points out, you have "nsf" where you should have "nfs." Is there some reason you're using cifs? I don't know anything about it. I did man mount.cifs and while I got the sense that it has something to do with Windows servers, I didn't understand anything I read in man mount.cifs. Story of my life! So obviously I can't advise on any problems related to cifs.

Keep us posted.
--GrannyGeek

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:55:43 pm »

Code:
There goes my dyslexia, again!  :o Thanks.

And it's wonderful to be able to copy through Gateway again - even if I have su before I mount it.[quote]Compaq:/ /mnt/Compaq nfs users 0 0
Code:
mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
(I'm writing this from Compaq.)

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: