VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 05:52:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 64 bit image (or lack thereof)  (Read 18360 times)
sgla1

« on: January 15, 2009, 08:12:35 pm »

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the right forum but I thought I would throw this question out somewhere.  When does VL expect to have a 64 bit release for 6.0?

One thing holding me back from using VL on my main work machine is the requirement of running 64 bit virtual machines for testing purposes.  Running a 64 bit guest on a 32 bit host is dicey whether you are using vmware server or virtualbox.

Just a thought--and I realize that most VL users are not going to have this requirement.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:21 pm »

we have started it here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VL64-6.0-STD-A0.9.iso
you are welcome to test and help out even Smiley
sgla1

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:28 am »

Schweet!  Maybe I could help, although I am buried at work now.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:49:42 am »

Schweet!  Maybe I could help, although I am buried at work now.

It'd be great! New collaborators are always welcome (and in fact, needed).

First things first.  When work gives you a breathe you can rethink about it Smiley

kedarm

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »

Hi!

I run a core-2 duo and I should be running a 64 bit version of the OS. Has anyone tried the 64 bit? I am a bit scared to try it myself, before I am even familiar with the 32 bit version!

And more importantly, are the applications written for a 64-bit version of the OS? Or will the 64-bit VL be running the same 32-bit code?
sgla1

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:38:29 pm »

Hmmm...  I would assume that everything on the 64 bit iso is a 64-bit binary, with the possible exception of some closed-source bits like flash.  I don't know how many 64-bit binary packages are available in the repo, but you can always download the source and compile locally.

Ima try this out soon.

Cheers,
hobbes2120

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 07:45:50 am »

Hello,
Haven't been on here in a long while. Part of the reason for that is because I tried to install the 5.9 64bit version of Vector on a laptop top some time ago but I am thinking about coming back into the Vector loop. I am a Blender user (open source 3D graphics) and the results I got from Vector 2.8 (or was it 2.9?) and Blender was exceptional. With the thin build of Vector and a high performance kernel, other distros could not even touch the results. Now I am in the process of buying a beast. It is a Lenovo D10. 64bit, 2 Xeon Quads, RAM at 2gigs shipped but expandable to 64gb, couple SATA 250gb hard drives (might be 4 but hard to say because some stores do not know what it is they have), nVidia Quadro FX 1700 (3 of them I think) and a Intel 5400a chipset. I have seen the 64bit 5.9 beta 2 listed and am probably going to give it a go but I am curious if I should even attempt it considering this machine I am working towards is not average. I guess my main concerns are 1. can we handle 8 processors, 2. Can we handle 64gb of ram, 3. Is the chipset supported and finally 4. Hows the video drivers for the nVidia Quadro FX 1700? Any input would be appreciated.
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:32 am »

WOW!!! that is a beast! You might want to go with the 6.0-64bit which can be found here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VL64-6.0-STD-A0.9.iso

It's still alpha though. Smiley

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

According to a message from Vec a few weeks ago, it looks like 64-bit VL6 is a dead end:
"We have pretty well abandoned 64 bit for vl6 but there is a new developer build for vl7. I haven't tried so use at your own risk.
 http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/VL647.0-CORE-A0.1.iso
Questions regarding this should be directed to uelsk8s."

I'm sure a serious tester would be welcome.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hobbes2120

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:59 am »

Hello,
I am glad to hear the 64 bit side still moving forward. I have been reading reviews about Vector and many of them make similar comments about how Vector is not an ideal choice for a workstation. I disagree. It may be true that the distro is still relatively underground but the things you guys are accomplishing makes Vector ideal for a work station. I have included an image of a system build that I had used originally and posted the results on the blender render benchmarks. It is the only Vector build registered on the site but if you look at how well it did against other machines around it, you can see that Vector has untapped potential. You'll have to forgive my incorrect information on the posting. That was my first submission to the site. The correct number of CPU's was 1, I did use 2 threads (preloading) and I think I had 256 to 512 mb of ram on board. I used the 2.8 or 2.9 Vector also. Rating those stats against my current atom n270 1.6gHz, 2 gig ram, and tweaked XP, this machine is taking 9 minutes to do the test render. (My real machine died on me and I had to replace it hence the atom)

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/1183/vectorblender.jpg

The benchmarks could be viewed here. http://eofw.org/bench/

Even with a low end system, the advantages of utilizing Vector are apparent. More computers these days (especially the high end benchmarks) are utilizing 64bit architecture. I can only imagine how a Vector built system would perform using this architecture. (Won't be imagining for long once I get the beast and hopefully get vl7 loaded.) The work you guys do is truly phenomenal and it is only a matter of time before more heavy computer users gravitate towards you. I hope that 64bit development continues.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:35:01 pm »

We haven't given up on 64 bit version, but the lack of manpower and time have put it on the lower end of the list.

To answer the multi core / multi processor, you should be able to install without issues. The kernel is SMP, meaning it will handle single and multiple cores. I think via default the number is set up to  8? processors/cores. Will have to peek at that again to make certain. Anywya, it is multi cpu ready.
hobbes2120

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »

I have VL7 downloaded and my computer is a couple days away. I finally got to order it. Almost missed out because the money wasn't here yet and the beast went out of stock for a couple of days. Had them email me when it came back into stock. Doing the happy dance! Is there a thread for the VL7 64bit project I should know about? I have a feeling that I might need further help down the line.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 07:16:31 pm »

I have VL7 downloaded and my computer is a couple days away. I finally got to order it. Almost missed out because the money wasn't here yet and the beast went out of stock for a couple of days. Had them email me when it came back into stock. Doing the happy dance! Is there a thread for the VL7 64bit project I should know about? I have a feeling that I might need further help down the line.

I think you mean you ordered VL 6.0
Nothing has been done yet for 7.0
But if you really do want to test the 64b 7.0 (very rough) here is the link http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/VL647.0-CORE-A0.1.iso

I've been working with that to build some stuff, but it's taking quite long to get an iso out... (i'm the only one working on this AFAIK at the moment)

hobbes2120

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 08:31:40 pm »

According to a message from Vec a few weeks ago, it looks like 64-bit VL6 is a dead end:
"We have pretty well abandoned 64 bit for vl6 but there is a new developer build for vl7. I haven't tried so use at your own risk.
 http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/VL647.0-CORE-A0.1.iso
Questions regarding this should be directed to uelsk8s."

I'm sure a serious tester would be welcome.
--GrannyGeek

That's the one I got and I'm pretty sure it reads "vl7"  Cheesy
Started getting worried that my vision was failing me there for a second. I got the system, one quad short  Undecided . For their false advertisement I got a 30 dollar refund.  Roll Eyes Guess I can not really complain. The system is capable of massive expansion.

Nothing has been done yet for 7.0
But if you really do want to test the 64b 7.0 (very rough) here is the link http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/VL647.0-CORE-A0.1.iso

If it can install that should be sufficient. I can grab stuff from slack and compile it or find some sort of source on the web that will do the trick. Any idea what build of slack we are running off on the dev version of vl7? That would help on the package/dep hunt. Waiting on Vista to update, yargh!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 08:33:48 pm by hobbes2120 » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:33:38 am »

Yes you can install it for sure. But there is no login manager on that one or fancy desktop. It is a barebones system atm with fluxbox only. I just use it to build stuff. Please pm me if you plan to compile stuff and cobntribute as i and another member are also doing the same and need to coordinate efforts to keep us from doing the work twice

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: