VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 07:15:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to install Vector Linux on an external hard drive?  (Read 2261 times)
blackbelt_jones

« on: January 17, 2009, 01:44:06 pm »

I'm living on a budget, big time.  I have an otherwise decent computer that my neighbor threw out, and I guess the IDE controller doesn't work.  Or so i am told.  I don't actually know what an IDE controller is, so I use USB devices.  It works fine with some distros (running Kubuntu right now) but when I try to install Vector, it tells me that it can't detect a hard drive, and aborts the installation.  Am I out of luck?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 04:51:41 pm »

Check the following, for your IDE problem, in this order:

1) open the case and ensure the data cable and power cables to the hard drive are firmly slotted and correctly oriented
2) ensure the drive jumper pin is set to MASTER.
3) immediately upon boot get into the BIOS setup and use the BIOS to detect the hard drive. If it doesn't detect the HD then either the HD is dead, the cables are still not correctly installed or the IDE bus is dead.
4) you can test the HD with something like the UltimateBootCD.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 04:54:36 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:04:05 pm »

You can do a hosted install from within Kubuntu using the vinstall script on the iso.  I've done that and seen it correctly detect USB devices.  I'd use VL 6.0 rc3.  The newer the kernel the greater the variety of supported hardware.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:14:29 pm »

I'm finally getting around to trying this, and my immediate problem is that I'm getting an error message telling me I'm not logged on as root when I am logged on as root. 

Code:
root@siduxbox:~/vinstall# ./vinstall-iso VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso
Install a Vector Linux ISO-file from a Linux host

ERROR: must run as root

Please login as root or call su first

root@siduxbox:~/vinstall#

Any idea what that's about? Huh
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:28:02 pm »

Sounds like an issue with the hosting distro (Sidux?) rather than a VL issue.  vinstall-iso is a bash script so you can edit it with your favorite text editor and comment out the section near the top that checks to see if you're root.  It might just work Smiley

Why are you installing 5.9 at this point?  6.0 release is imminent (as in maybe today or tomorrow or the next day) so I'd wait on that.  You've waited this long...

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »

Sounds like an issue with the hosting distro (Sidux?) rather than a VL issue.  vinstall-iso is a bash script so you can edit it with your favorite text editor and comment out the section near the top that checks to see if you're root.  It might just work Smiley

Why are you installing 5.9 at this point?  6.0 release is imminent (as in maybe today or tomorrow or the next day) so I'd wait on that.  You've waited this long...

Well, if I was smart, I guess I would wait, but on the other hand, I'm sitting here with a formatted external HD, so what have I got to lose?   I want to see if the hack works.    If it doesn't, I'll leave it alone for a few days.  Thanks for the release tip, and yeah, it probably is Sidux. 
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »

Okay, well, I now have a kubuntu system installed, and I'm getting the same exact error message.  Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm working from a system that is also installed on an external hard drive?

Is there any reason to hope that VL6, unlike VL5, will install on the external hard drive from a CD in the usual way?  Maybe I'll give that a shot.  If not, I've got an old computer that might just be the thing I need. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: