VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:51:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HP RJ40 on sneaker net  (Read 2735 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: January 19, 2009, 09:46:59 am »

Is it possible to 'install' a printer such that it will print to a floppy for the printer at a different location?  And where can I find info on doing this?

I'm currently using VL5.9 standard and have no printers at this location.  Man cups is not available and Menu/Help/Printing says the printer must already be configured.

Hopefully, the instructions could also be used on VL6.0-RC3.  I may get that installed on another machine today or tomorrow.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:15 pm »

most apps have a "print to file" checkbox
maybe that will work?
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:57:49 pm »

Hopefully that will work. 

I will be going online to prepare a tax return.  While the return can be filed electronically, we still need to print file copies.  Most applications that I have used, including this one, (at least in Windows) have required the printer to be installed so that it knows how to print the (graphical) return.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:50:30 pm »

Print to PDF should work on any printer. I don't know if you're using a tax program, but many (most?) do have an option to create a PDF. You could then sneakernet the file to the computer with the printer.

On VL 5.9 I have cups-pdf installed, which has worked well. I don't know how or if it works with RC3. Or print to a PostScript file and use the ps2pdf or pstopdf utility.

To print to file in Windows you need to have the printer driver installed for the printer on which you'll print the file. You don't need the actual printer, just the driver. The port would be "File."

I don't see "File" as a device in CUPS, but I imagine you could select LPR/LPD and set up a dummy address for the printer and install the CUPS driver for the target printer. Then print to file in your application.

If this works, let us know.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »

Unfortunately, the tax program I was going to use (and have used for several years) required Windows 2003 or later or Mac - not only no Linux option, but it would NOT let me proceed!  At least for their on-line version.  As it has been a couple of years since I purchased their cds, I don't kinow if that restriction applies there although I don't remember a Linux option then.  (Of course I didn't have Linux working then either  Sad )

I still have a 5.9 installation and just got 6.0 installed.  I should have something that I need to print soon and will report back my succes.

Thank you Granny for your suggestions and I will keep them in mind.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:12:30 am »

When I try to print, I get the printer dialog which allows me to select a printer - it is empty.

I don't know how to set up to print to a pdf file but will keep looking.

I also received an Epson Stylus C60 last week.  Currently have it hooked via USB but it hasn't been found - even during a reinstall of 5.9 and attempts to install other versions have failed, although I might be able to continue 6.0-RC4.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: