VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 01:51:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 Light B2 feedback and bug reports.  (Read 20301 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »

I'm tweaking the Welcome document and request your opinions. Find it here: http://stefanussen.net/Welcome.html
If you can, please open it in HV3, as that is what is used for the initial pop-up.

This version specifies a font that looks much better than hv3's default. New additions address how to add icons to desktop, using alsaconf and alsamixer. The objective is to get new users quickly up to speed, without overloading them with information.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 09:15:00 pm »

I like that Welcome page Grin
And I LOVE that link to Linux equivalents of windows programs. It was such a GREAT idea to put it right into the Welcome page. I will examine it much closer when I will have some time to spare.
Information about alsamixer is also extremely helpful - I figured out what to do with it only about a month ago. Also pointing to VASM is a good thing, since most of the administrative tasks are done there. Alsaconfig is linked into VASM, so I think there is no need to point to it separately. I think just listing some stuff(including configuring sound) that VASM can do would be better.
As of what I would like to see there:
As for me, it would be great to have a short list of main folders(like mounted cdrom goes into /mnt/cdrom, mounted usb stick goes into /mnt/vl-hot, desktop icons - /usr/share/applications(this one is already in there), etc...). This can be really helpful.

I noticed that there are two vlconfig2(vlconfig2-1-noarch-1vl60 and vlconfig2-6.0-noarch-1vl60) files in /var/log/packages, which I suppose means that both of them are installed.
I only installed 2 libraries from vl5.9 repository and tilda terminal and ran 'cpan Template' and then installed sbbuilder, so I do not think that I somehow installed the second vlconfig2 myself.
Having two vlconfig2 packages messes up $BUILD varriable during packaging. That's actually how I noticed that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:17:29 pm by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 12:52:44 am »

I think it makes sense to include an entry in the Welcome document for both Alsamixer and Alsaconfig in the same document, in the same section as someone may have to run both to get sound working, I know it seems redundant when there is also a line pointing to VASM but I think it does no harm and potentially will prevent some frustration.  The suggested notes about where things mount are a good idea too.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 11:26:42 am »

Page updated: http://stefanussen.net/Welcome.html

Moved stuff around trying to organize the contents more logically.
Added section to introduce the IceWM preferences file.
Added entry about removable drives.

The section about alsaconf/alsamixer came from personal experience with my sound card not getting properly set up during initial install. It looks like it works, but sound. Running the config tools again brings the sound system to life. This is not all that intuitive, so I think it's appropriate to mention it somewhere up front.

Desktop icons: As it stands right now, the plan is to have "My Documents", "CD-ROM", "Internet Browser" and "Welcome".
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 12:50:16 pm »

Lyn, sure it does no harm to mention alsamizer and alsaconf Grin
What I am saying is it will be more useful if alsamixer got integrated into VASM and then a little more information about VASM was added into Welcome page(maybe description of main features and the scope of what it does(i.e. If you have sound problems, go to VASM/HARDWARE and you will find utilities to deal with it.)
Also about that list of main folders - Thank you for considering that idea Cheesy
What I think should also be added are:
program executables - /usr/bin
X configuration - /etc/X11(and especially /etc/X11/xorg.conf)
logs - /var/log
bash commands - /bin
Thease are just few that came to my mind. There are probably many others that I don't even know about.
Also it may be helpful to explain where different parts of installed packages go.
Also I think saying that programs have their config files/folders in /home/'username'/.'programname' may be helpfull.
Also usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/index.html are VL5.9 docs(and says Welcome to VL5.9). I think it should say Welcome to VL6.0 Wink Also I think that page should say about current state of VL6.0(like Light is in Beta2 stage and Standard is a RC3).

Also is it possible to change 'My Documents' on a desktop into 'Home'? It looks so much better that way.

And I am not sure what to do with that vlconf2. Does it have to be two of them or should I remove one? If so, which one should I remove? It messes up $BUILD varriable and makes it impossible for me to package something unless I change the SlackBuild(just assign the $BUILD varriable manually, which I don't think is a good idea). There is only one of them in VL5.9 STD.
Thank you.

I almost forgot - there is another issue I am having - I had to run dhcpcd after each boot in order to make the internet work(I have a NetLINE PN796 ethernet to usb adapter, from which ethernet cable goes into my 2wire 2701HG-B gateway and the USB connects to the computer). The system sees the connection as eth0. I will check if dhcpcd is running after a reboot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:03:09 pm by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:33 pm »

budulay, you can delete the vlconfig2-1-noarch-1vl60 entry. I inserted it not realizing the other one would be there as well.

"My Documents" on the desktop is put there by Pcmanfm itself and I don't know if it can be changed without hacking the code.

The 5.9 documents, yes, documentation is frequently lagging behind in open source projects.

I have seen several reports about ethernet connections not coming up automatically, but not experienced it myself. You may want to try adding commands to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
Code:
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0
.. speaking of, rc.local is another file that should be mentioned in the Welcome.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »

Nightflyer you know that I have that problem with jwm that it hangs
the desktop when I try to open gmplayer.

Now I just found that I still have jwm in my VL-6-Light superbox and
I can open gmplayer with no problem, that is desktop does not hang.

Just thought to let you know for interest sake.

Regards
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 06:14:40 pm »

Yes, I would like to find out why gmplayer locks up jwm! I realize your superbox has been heavily modified, but if I get a list of what you have in /var/log/packages, and xorg.conf, maybe some clue will turn up.

I saw the comments about clock format and used it to introduce the IceWM preferences file.  Wink
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2009, 09:15:56 pm »

Thank you, nightflier, internet works after reboot now after I edited rc.local.

I was messing with icons a little, which reminded me of another two usefull directories, which can be added to the list:
/usr/share/icons
/usr/share/pixmaps

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2009, 09:48:45 pm »

Yes, I would like to find out why gmplayer locks up jwm! I realize your superbox has been heavily modified, but if I get a list of what you have in /var/log/packages, and xorg.conf, maybe some clue will turn up.

I saw the comments about clock format and used it to introduce the IceWM preferences file.  Wink

Sending request as attachment: Pita-log-packages.txt, Pita-xorg-conf.txt
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:23 pm »

I'd like to try something different. For intrepid testers, here is an update to Light B2:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vll6b2_update1-1-noarch-1vl60.tlz

This update is a first draft, and about as subtle as a hatchet. It will install XFE and overwrite files in users home directories, no questions asked. Changes include new desktop launchers, icewm sounds, welcome document, and an updated explorer_cd that checks for audio cd's and plays them with xmms.

DO NOT INSTALL ON ANYTHING BUT AN EXPENDABLE VL6 LIGHT TEST INSTALLATION!

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »

I'd like to try something different. For intrepid testers, here is an update to Light B2:
http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/vll6b2_update1-1-noarch-1vl60.tlz

This update is a first draft, and about as subtle as a hatchet. It will install XFE and overwrite files in users home directories, no questions asked. Changes include new desktop launchers, icewm sounds, welcome document, and an updated explorer_cd that checks for audio cd's and plays them with xmms.

DO NOT INSTALL ON ANYTHING BUT AN EXPENDABLE VL6 LIGHT TEST INSTALLATION!

Installed update. Put music CD into drive. Clicking on this CD/DVD icon a window pops-up:Error:
Possible causes:
 - No disc in drive
 - Drive not ready
 - No drive found

Browser and Welcome icon open same Welcome message. Redundancy?

Pity you changed from hv3 to opera for wellcome. Hv3 is faster. At least opera is not huge anymore.

For little time testing things seem to work well. Will check gslapt now.

Tried to install 4 programs at the same time. gslapt hang. Killed it. Restarted and the first 3 applications were installed
however, not the forth and last.

Checked the commands in the Browser icon in ./Desktop. It should not open the Welcome message, yet it does, however, not all the time. Weird.

Can't believe it, I just printed. Yes, I could configure my printer w/o having it switched-on. Device: Unknown:USB #1 was now present.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 07:14:54 pm by Pita » Logged
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »

There is another minor issue I am having:
Once in a while when I start pidgin, the system tray icon(actually just a square black space) appears but than disappears after a second or two.
I have no idea what causes that. Usually it happens when I am running FF2(got it from VL5.9 repository), but that alone is not enough, since most of the time the icon does appear, even when FF2 is on.

I will install that update tomorrow and will report back. I am just having a busy day today, so no time for a fun like that Wink

A little update - looks like Firefox has nothing to do with that system tray icon problem. It just happened again and the Firefox wasn't running. What I notice is that after computer runs for few hours it start happening. I am starting to think there is some conflict with screen saver. Looks like everything is great on a freshly booted system, but after I leave it idle for a few hours, this problem arrives.

One more update:
Looks like it even ha nothing to do with screen saver. Few hours ago after the screen saver popped up I launched pidgin, and that icon appeared in the tray.
Right now it disappears again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 04:47:55 pm by budulay » Logged

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2009, 05:01:00 pm »

Just installed that update1.
I almost always have the sound being shut off, so I couldn't really tell the difference.
The explorer_cd works fine for my dvd drive, but for my cd drive it gives the same error that Pita pointed out. I had problems with this drive on vector before. It sometimes just refused to mount cds, while dvd drive did that with no problems. Maybe there is some technical problem with that drive - I don't know. It also do not mount with 'mount /mnt/cdrom', complaining that the medium is not found.
Also I do not think that change from Hv3 to Opera for displaying the Welcome page is a good thing. It is much slower now.
The list of system locations is good, but i think it should be expanded a little bit more.

sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:32 am »

Test system is a IBM Thinkpad 600 with Ralink based USB wifi:

Install went fine. Ralink wifi refused to work untill I copied the firmware RT73.bin to /lib/firmware from my VL6.0 RC3 install. Trying to run pcman as root from terminal fails the first time and then works after for following tries.

X forwarding into this machine works ok appart from the icons and wallpaper are missing until I run pcman from the menu.

Otherwise it's working really well for me.

Thanks,

Chris

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: