VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:38:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 Light B2 released.  (Read 21041 times)
Nick_13ro

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 09:02:05 am »

It's like their ideal desktop is a spartan default fluxbox or something and they just make some concessions to user friendliness/usability by not pushing just that.

Fluxbox is far from spartan. You would probably consider Ion, DWM, ratpoison and awesome as not
even useable let alone productive. Then there is screen.

Well, I know fluxbox has a taskbar, menu, tray minus the desktop part that was the topic of discussion here. I suppose you're basically right about the others- I wouldn't appreaciate them very much at all. Smiley

Nick would you expect the same thing from Light as SOHO then?

Bigpaws

I know what I'm getting. A lighter desktop but with the same basic components which in my conception should include desktop icons. Vector was my first linux distro. I wanted to try linux before that, but I was horrified only finding cd sized red hat isos. When I found Vector it was around 200 MB I think, more doable on my dialup connection. Tongue I wasn't able to locate a 50 MB version I read a review of.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:11:48 am by Nick_13ro » Logged
Nick_13ro

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:18 am »

Like I said, I'm willing to listen. Any additional desktop clutter icons would be an optional package.  Wink

I guess an optional package is good enough. Smiley Please make 3 versions: regular-desktop-clutter, extra-desktop-clutter and super-desktop-clutter.  Grin

Now, I had expected more reactions to the startup sound than to the desktop icons. Either few have actually installed and run this release, or it is not an issue.

Myself I was just preparing to go get the iso to replace standard RC3 when I saw the mention of the desktop changes...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 09:14:10 am by Nick_13ro » Logged
Nick_13ro

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 09:10:34 am »

double post.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 04:28:49 pm »

Just installed this brand new Beta2.
As in Beta1 or Dynamite0.7(these are the only kinds of VL6.0 I installed) the X does not start.
Will post to the bug report. The strange thing is that I have VL5.9-STD running nice on the same computer. X worked without any effort on my side(besides answering few vxconfig questions).

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:05 am »

@nightflier if that means you're reconsidering the icons issue please think about something like this:

Grin

LOL I remember those days!  We have moved far in that time.
Nick_13ro

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:58 am »

Indeed, but I don't think desktop icons are pase.  Smiley
EyesOnly

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 07:25:47 am »

Thanks for those images Nick! Added them to my collection of Memorabilia here. Wow... I started with Puppy myself and then VL-5.1 which I thought was the "Cat's Meow". Like Lyn said, "We have moved far in that time." Even from the 5.1.

@Nightflier: You'd mentioned "Wbar" not being in VL6.0 Light, right? I was speaking of 5.9 Light where it's listed in here as "vl-bar" in "/usr/bin", and that's a script (which I didn't write---the code's over my little brain cell LOL) which is pointing to "wbar" in the same directory. I usually drag it over from another Slack-based install (or cheat and try the Debian binary and if it works que sera), neither of which I had to do this time as it was already there.

That was one of the things I loved so much about VL-5.9 Light this time because I just installed and had basically no setup requirements... Everything I already use, from PCmanFM, to gpicview, to wbar, was here and ready to go. Smiley

But in the interest of this thread remaining on topic me thinks I should pull out since this is on VL-6.0B2. Wink

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

(P/s: Was by the IRC help channel the other day when the forum was down---what an awesome chatroom you folks have for this distro! Way to go!)

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 10:51:06 am »

With all that...why bother with menus?

In the long run it's nightflier's baby and he should follow HIS instincts on what Light is to be. He is the one that ultimately has to be happy with his labor.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:56:33 am by gamfa » Logged

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:25 am »

Agreed, though its always good to get feedback from people on what they like and would want.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 12:30:35 pm »

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please keep it coming. All serious comments are considered before any final ruling.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:01 pm »

wbar is on my list of things to package for VL 6.   I make no promise about when I can get to it but it is coming.

It's perfectly easy to add desktop icons to any Linux distro with a reasonably capable window manager for whatever you want.  Just create the shortcuts and you're good to go.  The more icons added the more complaints about why app X has an icon and app Y doesn't.

The screen shots were a blast from the past.  My first paid copy (from the CD store) was VL 2.5.  SOHO hadn't happened yet.  The CD-ROM label is hand written  Grin  I actually started with VL earlier than that.   I think it was 1.5.  Anyway... I agree that VL has come a long way.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 03:40:28 pm »

I had to look at the larger versions of the photos because 3.2 was the first VL I used and don't remember all those icons on the dekptop.  After viewing the enlargement I see that it's Tigger's first SOHO.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 05:56:18 pm »

I can't find in the repos vburn 0.7.

As for icons on the desktop, it is a no go for me ever since. I have seen Windows guys
which had the screen so loaded with icons they could not find anymore trough.
Ridiculous.

I substitute the icons with either the xfce4-panel or at times the gnome-panel on my fluxbox desktop.
I like the xfce4-panel since it is very configurable. On the Menu of the panel I find applications
I have not configured in my fluxbox menu.

The opening and closing sounds do not disturb me. I think I heard them for another
desktop. For my taste I like the login and logout sounds better of gnome if I am right.
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2009, 01:17:35 am »

Hi there, does VLL use LILO or GRUB?

If it is the former, I'd like to ask for some help:

I'm new to Linux and I can just about edit a GRUB lst file but LILO seems harder. I have GRUB configured on my system already so once I install this badass looking VLL I will skip the LILO install. Could somebody give me an idea of what I should add to my GRUB lst to boot VLL?

Many thanks,
Greg
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2009, 08:31:57 am »

VL uses LILO. Besides MBR, you can install it to a floppy or to the boot sector of the partition where you install Vector. I'd say go for boot sector. I am not familiar with GRUB, but I'm sure someone else can steer you in the right direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: