VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 11:00:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 Light B2 released.  (Read 21603 times)
EyesOnly

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 10:18:25 am »

Hi RedAndWhiteStripes,

Perhaps I could help? I have a grub loader and this is how I have VL-5.9 Light added to mine. Of course, you would want to change the variables for how you have it set for your system, okie?

Code:
title VL-5.9 Light
kernel (hd0,3)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb4 ro nosplash vga=791
initrd (hd0,3)/boot/initrd

Now for "variables", I mean where your kernel (vmlinuz) and "initrd" is located on your hard drive, keeping in mind that the code in parenthesis is one step behind your actual drive number.

For example: See how mine reads (hd0,3)? The vmlinuz is actually located on hdb4 of my drive. Weird, I know! LOL! But that's the way grub works. (You'll notice the actual location further on in the line where it has the "root" parameter, see?)

I hope this has helped?

Welcome to VectorLinux and I hope you love it as much as we all do! It's wonderful!! Smiley

Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 05:23:24 pm »

Thanks to the two previous posters for the reply. It seems I have managed to configure GRUB to do the job.
I like VLL, though I'm surprised it seems bigger than the standard edition :-) My old laptop's CD drive has died on me but I'll continue to use Unetbootin to play around on it.

(I think I used to have a life once, but then I got married :-) )
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 03:49:21 am »

(I'll also post this on the 'office' thread)

Hi everyone,

I'm enjoying Vecor Linux Light but I am having a couple of small problems on the word

processing side of things:

1) Siag Office - great, lightweight office suite but Pathetic Writer sees very buggy. Font size

and type do not seem to be changeable, I am restricted to a single size font that has a vey

strange appearance. Spell checking is also difficult because the spell checker box loses

focus with each word it checks, so I have to click the top bar of the window each time.Can

anyone give any advice?

2) I tried to install Abiword but there is a 'dependency error'. Sorry I forget what the

missing package was, but does anyone have any knowledge of this problem?

Another question: (3) Why is the Xorg driver pack so large in VLL? I'm sure there is a reason

- I'm a Linux newbie so forgive my ignorance :-) - I just ask because I have heard of some
smaller distros using Xorg with a smaller iso size.

Finally, I want to mention that after installing the newest Alsa driver from Gslapt, my system

had no sound and Alsaconf did not detect my sound-card. I had to reinstall VLL!

Thanks,

Greg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 03:51:04 am by redandwhitestripes » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 05:06:11 am »

Thank you for the feedback, redandwhitestripes. Do you by any chance know what kind of sound card is in your machine?

If you want to install Abiword with dependencies, enable the "gsb" repository in Gslapt, refresh and try again. It will pull in a large portion of Gnome in the process.

The "X11" optional package is much more than Xorg. Included are a large number of additional packages that use X, like the multimedia players and browser plugins. Light is smaller than Standard, but the aim is not to be tiny. To run fast and lean is the idea.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 09:19:03 am »

The problem you are experiencing with Pathetic Writer is because you do not have all the required fonts installed.  They are not provided by default in VL Light.  VL 6.0 Standard does provide them beginning with rc4.   To solve this go into gslapt, do a search on font, and basically install everything that claims to be part of X.org.  It's 21 packages in total and it takes up maybe 18MB of space.  Once that's done PW will function properly.

VL is the only distro I am aware of other than ones that try to be tiny that tried to strip down X.org.  PW is an old app that still requires X bitmapped fonts.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 01:57:13 am »

Thank you to everyone for their help. I'm currently installing the fonts, I'll let you know how it goes. I'll also do a check on my sound card.

Like most Linux newcomers I have tried a whole bunch of distros and then come back to the few I like the most. Vector is certainly on that list, so I hope I'll be able to stick around and help others in future :-)
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 04:15:52 am »

Ok the sound card is ali5451 :-)

I have installed a big bunch of fonts but PW is still the same. The SIAG website explains that I need to edit a config file but I don't really understand how to do it. Would I be better off installing VL 5.9? Disk space is not a problem (30g) but I am a minimalist by nature :-)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 07:34:33 am »

after installing the newest Alsa driver from Gslapt, my system had no sound and Alsaconf did not detect my sound-card. I had to reinstall VLL!

Just tried upgrading alsa-driver using gslapt and sure enough, that version is for the newer kernel (2.6.27.12). When Standard freezes the package selection I will upgrade Light to match it. Until then, things will remain "experimental".
Vanger
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 05:03:30 am »

Hi, guys.
I'm interested in normal 3D on GMA X3100 (i965).
I can build Mesa 7.3 and dri2proto 1.99.3 with libdrm-2.4.4 that are required.

Also, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
Please, please, please, add "lba32" option in /etc/lilo.conf!
I'm freaking tired to add that to boot Windows each and every installation of VL since 5.8.

Running silent, running deep
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 06:16:38 am »

Hi Vanger, good to see you again.  Smiley

I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of LILO, but it works for me almost all of the time. It sets up dual boot with W2K and I remember seeing something about it adding LBA32 when running. The place to look would be in "vliloconf". Do you have more details and/or suggestions?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 06:24:07 am »

I have installed a big bunch of fonts but PW is still the same. The SIAG website explains that I need to edit a config file but I don't really understand how to do it. Would I be better off installing VL 5.9?

I suspect 5.9 will have same problem. Final version of Light will be based on Standard final, hopefully this issue will be solved then.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 05:14:48 pm »

Hi Vanger, good to see you again.  Smiley

I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of LILO, but it works for me almost all of the time. It sets up dual boot with W2K and I remember seeing something about it adding LBA32 when running. The place to look would be in "vliloconf". Do you have more details and/or suggestions?

lba32 is a global option of lilo:
Generate 32-bit Logical Block Addresses instead of sector/head/cylinder addresses, allowing booting from any partition on hard disks greater than 8.4 GB (i.e., remove the 1024-cylinder limit). Requires BIOS support for the EDD packet call interface.

So that should be put at the beginning of lilo.conf.
root

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 08:07:45 am »

Hi guys , i see that you work hard on VL-Light6.x and im verry happy about it since i find the VL-Light5.9 , verry stable , fast and friendly and i'll definetly stay with the light version of the distro , but i'll wait till the main version is released and i'll be verry happy to see wbar and fluxbox as an option in there ,

Cheers , Junior .

minimal monster
Apeman

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:57 am »

I wanted to install VL60-Light B2 on my ancient notebook using loadlin(Libretto doesn't have CDROM), loaldin.exe loads sata kernel, initrd.img to RAM, then it displays
Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)
and then it restarts the computer.

Here is a little workaround: I used ide kernel from VL59 Light to instal VL60 Light with it's sata kernel and it works.

Toshiba Libretto 100CT @233MHz, 32 MB RAM
Apeman

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2009, 06:31:20 am »

I'm glad there is so many lightweigth aplications VL60 Light B2.

Especially I like those lightweigth windows managers like IceWM and JWM.
But there must be a bug in VASM. It doesn't matter if I choose JWM or IceWM in VASM, startx always starts IceWM & pcmanfm.
I don't dare to try LXDE or Gnome with 32MB RAM.
Btw. will there be a KDE in VL 6.5 Light?  Shocked

Toshiba Libretto 100CT @233MHz, 32 MB RAM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: