VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 01:13:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vlc streaming question  (Read 2394 times)
spectral_knight75

« on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:51 am »

Hello,

I currently have a Kubuntu box with 8.10 64bit setup as a file/media/print server. 

The query I have is that, when I view media files (avi/mpg/mkv) from the server using my windows xp box, I can view the content immediately without caching the file locally first.

However, when I attempt to view my media files over wifi from my IBM Thinkpad R51 1829 KCF running Vector SOHO 5.8 Gold, using vlc as the player of choice (or any player for that matter : xine, mplayer) it ends up downloading a local cache copy in its' entirety first before it starts play back.  Is there any way I can view my media without downloading the full file first?

Feedback appreciated, thanks.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 08:56:28 pm »

I've been running streaming audio on Win98 and it also buffers - nowhere near as long as VL, however.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
EyesOnly

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:10:52 am »

I'd be curious spectral as to whether or not it just may be the difference in a setting somewhere within VLC itself? The basic settings of VLC are just that---pretty basic. But have you clicked around to see the more "advanced" settings? (Ergo "MPlayer" and "Xine", especially the latter where it has "Master of The Known Universe"?) These "advanced" settings would require a rocket scientist to figure out half the time with a doctorate in spatial physics!

Most of these in the advanced settings have such a section dealing with "immediate play" or "play from cache". They may not be worded exactly like that but similar enough that you'll know it when seen. I know Xine does seems so from all the times I've set that up.

That's about all I can offer for advice at the moment. Sorry it's not more. Sad I hope it helps though.

Cheers,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
spectral_knight75

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll do some "click" digging through vlc to see if I get any positive results.  If I do, I'll post here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: