VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 03:36:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Texan here..  (Read 1308 times)
krashdragon

« on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:42 pm »

Hi, I want to use Linux of some flavor or other..tried installing Red Hat V 4 or 5 or whatever ages ago...but like someone else posted..
Where is the danged instruction manual?
I started using computers with CPM and dos, the thru the various flavors of windows and even a few Macs at school throw in..
BUT... since I'm totally used to working with icons (ok, I still remember a few DOS commands)..
thinking in LINUS totally throws me... and each flavor seems slightly different...

My biggest problem is that I still need to use MSFT Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint, as well as Photoshop and AutoCad, to name a couple of programs, so I guess I duel boot will work fine.
anyway,
most interesting reading here... even pulled out my wireless card from the desktop to see if it would wokr..it should, hopefully, cause I cant' get it to work with windows!   Undecided
Y'all take care...
Mary aka Krashdragon

StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:37:07 am »

Welcome from another CP/Mer.  I, also, am thrashing around trying to learn this Linux stuff.  Like you, I also got used to those funny pictures.  Fortunately, with the excellent (and patient) help from all on this forum.  I'm learning a lot and enjoying every minute of it - once I get past the frustration of my own stupidity!

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:39:45 am »

Welcome to the forum krashdragon. I'm also in the Lone Star State Wink

I understand where you're coming from... Your story is somewhat similar to mine.
I bought RH 5 (this was a long time ago) at a local compusa store. Took it home, it did come with one big manual which I did not bother to read... I coudlnt' figure out how to get the dang thing going, so I chunked it Wink

went back to using windows, but around the time MS was putting out their longhorn (vista) betas (this was a couple maybe 3 years ago) I was already dual booting XP/Vector.

Vector has a very user friendly desktop IMO, and I've found that you can most everything right out of the box.
Unless you have VBA applications on your MS Office suite, you can do anything these apps can do using openoffice.org which is available for VectorLinux. I'm not sure how the GIMP measures up to Photoshop, but I've seen people do wonders with it.

The only reason you might need to dual boot is AutoCAD. I have yet to find something that can do what Utocad can. But then again, I dont use that, so I can live without it.

Anyway... enough about me.... welcome to the forum, give VL a try, you wont be disapointed.

Wink

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:45:29 pm »

Welcome!

If you really need/want MS Office, you can give it a try with wine or crossover office to have them running on your machine.
I find the Office 2000 version works perfectly (or almost), but not sure about newer versions.

The most recent OpenOffice does a great job as well (and even with VBA macros).

Given that you need some other programs, you can also set up a virtual Windows machine in your Linux installation with Virtual Box (or other virtualization software). This will require lots of RAM, but it works great.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: