VectorLinux
August 28, 2014, 11:38:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Grey, but really a colorful guy.  (Read 3815 times)
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« on: January 29, 2008, 12:33:22 am »

Hey all, I'm Grey.
I've come to learn more about GNU/linux, with a goal of becoming a guru/programmer, and also to participate in what seems to be an excellent distro.
Now to be honest, i've never touched Vector Linux, but reading reviews and tech specs i can tell this is something to reckon with and as soon as i can get hands on it i will.

Just a brief overview of myself, I've lived and worked in East Africa for nearly half a decade and being on the move a lot with barely any internet makes it tough to get hold of any software above 10mb. Using other people's pcs since mine broke in november doesn't help. I have however managed to compile a powerful Ubuntu distro on a friend's pc with CDs Canonical has been kind enough to send, and redistributed their software to several businesses in the area. I muck about a lot with what i can make sense of the code, but really i want to learn more.

So I look forward to talking with all you VL users, but be warned i am likely only going to be able to post about once a week.
Grey.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:59:54 am »

Hi Greythanis, welcome to the forum.

I've come to learn more about GNU/linux, with a goal of becoming a guru/programmer, and also to participate in what seems to be an excellent distro.
For learning about Linux, VL is an excellent distro.
I came to VL from SuSe (I believe version 9.2), which was far too slow for my old computer back then. I had a little trouble understanding VL at first, but thanks to the help on the forum that was quickly solved. I always was interested in programming/scripting, and this has only increased since.

I learned some C, and thankfully Linux has all the tools needed to program. Unfortunately though, I have come to dislike programming in this language. I really hoped that once I had finished my book, I would be ready to program. Unfortunately, this is not the case (at least not with the books I have). For instance, my books offer little guidelines about using libraries, header files, and other rather important stuff.  And even if those where there, you still have to learn a new API for pretty much every library you want to use. You want a GUI? Well, time to start learning GTK+ (looks nice, takes a lot of effort), Motif (ugly, never tried), or drop C entirely and continue with C++ so you can use other GUI's like Qt. Oh well, these are just my personal trouble with programming. I do hope to become a "good" programmer one day, but  it sure takes a lot of time.

So I look forward to talking with all you VL users, but be warned i am likely only going to be able to post about once a week.
Try to make your posts as complete as possible. There's a good guideline that's likely to help solve your problems in less posts here: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=56.0

See you next week Wink!

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:50:14 am »

See you next week Wink!

That's too funny.  I was gonna say that after my little song and dance.  Good thing I read your post The Headacher  Cheesy

Anyhow welcome to VL and it's great community Greythanis! We're really glad you're here  Smiley
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:23:01 pm »

hehey, took longer than a week ;-)

Good news, i got hold of vl 5.9 live as well as a 3rd hand pc. Couldn't be happier. There's just something i find weird about vl and i can't understand...

It's not the world's OS of choice? I'm blown away. This is 2 wishes fulfilled within a week of joining vl. my own pc again and a great OS to boot. Just waiting for a land rover now...  Grin

vl runs faster from cd on the 3rd hand laptop (P3) than an installed ubuntu on a core duo! it's the first time my pc thinks faster than i do, which i'm having to get used to. oh well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:08:32 pm by Greythanis » Logged
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 03:56:16 pm »

Mate, ubububu runs slow on my quad-core beast - that's got to be an indication.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:25:44 pm »

Good to hear, Grey, welcome again.

BlueMage, I can't stop watching your avatar. Please change it so I can eat something and take a shower Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Sivatheja
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:22:34 pm »

Hi,

Only C C++ to contribute? I know C C++ well, but since two and half years I'm on Java.
Can't we help with any Java? I have a deep intuition to help, but don't know when I'll do that.

Best Regards,
Sivatheja.

Full Linux Machine - Vector Linux 5.9 STD Gold, Intel - 1.79 GHz, 1Gb RAM, 60GB HDD
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:57:25 am »

Good to hear, Grey, welcome again.

BlueMage, I can't stop watching your avatar. Please change it so I can eat something and take a shower Cheesy

NEVAR!!!  We who remember the old days and even older ways will never betray Looking Glass Studios!

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:59:23 am »

bugger.

vl live installed is giving me 1001 bugs. granted it's beta1, but was expecting the command line to work... should i get the standard non-live to install? might take a while before finding a good internet connection again...
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:46:29 am »

bugger.

vl live installed is giving me 1001 bugs. granted it's beta1, but was expecting the command line to work... should i get the standard non-live to install? might take a while before finding a good internet connection again...

Yes, if you intend to use VL on your hard drive we suggest you install the VL5.9 Gold Standard version.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 01:17:07 am »

okay...

Installed Ubuntu on HD until i can get standard edition. BTW bluemage, Ubuntu runs fairly fast on the 3rd hand P3 thinkpad. faster than the aforementioned core duo. maybe i did something different or this thinkpad just knows how to handle OSs. I did notice a math co-processor in the specs... anyway.

Do you think it would be possible to mention on the website that for installation standard gold is recommended for install or just reinforce the "beta1" of the live version? I would hate for a newcomer (esp. someone less pc savvy) to go through the same thing as i did, with VASM/CC, terminal, and other apps not working. all i saw on the website was "can be run live from cd and can also be installed to hard drive". to me, esp coming from ubuntu, it sounds like the standard install that can also "by the way" run from cd.
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:13 am »

Haha, haven't been here for almost a year!

Ok, so I'm back (hopefully), this time I'm leaning towards VL light, been trying it inside a virtual machine, and very very happy. I will most probably get into PHP and maybe Python. I also intend to start multimedia editing on VL. I am now running a Core 2 Duo with a tiny 2gb ram, with primary OS (don't send hatemail please) Windows XP (downgraded from vista Smiley )

Little update on my old P3. I finally got VL SOHO on it, but ended up changing it to Ubuntu for the simple reasons: I. I don't like KDE and II. I wasn't able to download gnome at the time.

Just need to get a VL light CD cut (I have ADSL now, WEEHOO!). Hope you don't mind having a deserter back  Wink

Cheers
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »

Welcome back, Grey.

We're a tolerant bunch here. Open-minded windows users welcome.  Grin
Gnome is now available from the repository.
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:20:16 pm »

Hi Grey,

I too was a "VL deserter," but no one complained on my return... well, ok, that's probably because I hadn't posted a lot way back when Cheesy

You know, Windows XP is actually a pretty good OS ... ((SHIELDS UP MR. SULU!))  Tongue   (I'm posting from it right now...)  Cool

Python is a great language to learn - it has a ton of support, lot's of libraries/script modules. And there are good editors for it, as well as the super interactive shell "IPython."

Sounds like a nice machine you have too.

ciao
Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:53:52 pm by WinDoze » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: