VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 04:00:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 1939 times)
unohu62

« on: January 23, 2009, 10:49:40 am »

Hello everyone, Robert from Welland, Ontario Canada here. I started using VL 5.9 Gold last summer and really enjoyed using this distro. I currenting am using VL 6.0 RC3 and like what I see so far. Can't wait until the final release candidate is out. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Robert
EyesOnly

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:29:23 am »

Hi Robert! Smiley And welcome to VectorLinux and our "home away from home"---the user forum! Smiley I hope where you've enjoyed VL for awhile now you'll drop by more often and come to think of this place as "home" as well.

Geographically speaking Robert, compared with some I've welcomed here that is, you and I are "fairly close as the crow flies" as I sit to the southeast of you over here in Maine, USA. (We're the "Forgotten Maritime Province That Never Was" so to speak. Wink ) In fact, up into the mid-60's here we used "real money" in the stores and paid our taxes to D.C. in the "boring green" that the rest of Americans used at the time. Ahhh... but times have changed. Earlier I was discussing some of this with one of the other board members.

I hope you continue enjoying VL Robert and I hope to see you posting again soon. VL-6.0 *should* be out not too much longer I would think. It's going to make a lot of people pretty happy on that day when the news is announced. Smiley

Again Robert: Welcome to VectorLinux and the forum!

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
unohu62

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:07:56 pm »

Thankx for the warm welcome Eyes, I'll be sure and post more and look forward to actively participating in and helping promote Vector Linux.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 02:20:46 pm »

Welcome to Vector Linux!  I don't think you'll find a friendlier bunch anywhere.

Eyes-Only:  Most Americans are content to be in the U.S. and not Canada.  Our green money is still the most respected currency in the world.  Nothing against Canada, our friend and neighbor to the north, but...  I've got friends from Maine and none ever spoke about wanting to be a Maritime Province.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
EyesOnly

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 02:56:00 pm »

Fascinating Caitlyn! Out of curiosity I wonder if your friends from Maine were born here or moved here (it does make a difference actually), and also in which part of Maine they live in, see? If you asked the average person on the street in this state who was born here and who is at least 30 years of age (might be pushing on the age I'm not 100% sure on that one) they'll tell you that there are TWO Maines: An Anglophone "South" which is mainly coastal going inland by 40/50 miles (although the border has been slowly moving northward) and a Francophile "North".

The city in which I live up here "AquaCity" Wink back 50 years ago was mainly French and---of all things---Arabic with very little English spoken. I remember when "The Morning Sentinel" here had its French Edition (well, I don't know if it was actually owned by the Sentinel but it was a French daily) and the radio station was French for half of its broadcasting day.

Sadly enough much of this has been changed.  I just feel saddened to see a People lose touch with their Culture, their Roots, Heritage. Don't get me wrong Caitlyn! I'm very glad to see this global village that we have going---and we must have it if Mankind is to survive on this speck of dust...

Well, I best not get going. LOL! You'll have to come to Maine and do some Cultural investigation and reporting for O'Reilly sometime. Wink Mais pour maintenant j'ai un p'tit fils qui voudrait regarder un film a la television avec son pepe. C'est plus important q'un ordi, tu sais? Grin

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:30 pm »

I'm trying to think what could qualify as "AquaCity".  Presque Isle, maybe?  When I was last there folks were pronouncing the second part of the name late Eye-l (long I, very American) rather the Eel, the way the French would.  I have one friend from that area who now lives in Oregon and another from the Portland area.  Both are definitely Anglophone and over 40.

Anyway, as I mentioned, norther Vermont also has a significant Francophone population.

All the best,
Cait
(who is avoiding answering en fran├žais in part out of respect to the English speaking majority here and in part to avoid showing how embarrassingly poor my French has become)

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Greythanis

the ace of spades

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:50 am »

Our green money is still the most respected currency in the world. 

Two Germans are discussing the new US bailout / recovery plan.

" haf you heard? De Americans are discussing a 1 trillion dollar recofery package. "
" Ya, but dat is only 12 Euro, Albert. "

Welcome unohu62!
unohu62

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »

Thankx Caitlyn and Greythanis look forward to chatting with ya more in the near future.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: