VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 03:08:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No video during install  (Read 1135 times)
vinoman2

« on: January 23, 2009, 11:10:24 am »

I was trying to install VL 6.0 rc2 on a Celeron 2.6 w/ 1.25 RAM and Hitachi 40gb hdd with Nvidia FX 5200 video.

when trying to run install CD, after the initial Vector intro screen within two minutes the screen goes black.

what is the command to get the video working?

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:43:25 pm »

Perhaps the screen saver went on - try just hitting the Shift key.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
vinoman2

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:23:01 pm »

Perhaps the screen saver went on - try just hitting the Shift key.
I don't think it could be a screensaver. The hard drive is empty. I was trying to boot up Vector and I thought it was a install CD. Anyway some other distros it couldn't read the video card. if there isn't a command to run in vesa or some generic video to at least install Vector 6 its not going to work, then I'll go back to Xubuntu.... for Xfce distro it works well.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:36 am »

I have exactly the same video card as you in one of my machines and I have no trouble whatsoever installing VL (or any other distro for that matter) on that machine. I suggest you have one of the foolowing problems, check in the order I list below:

- you have a bad burn of the ISO; did you check the ISO with md5sum?
- you have faulty hardware
- the screensaver of your BIOS is kicking in as I said above
- you are doing something wrong during the install process

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
vinoman2

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 07:34:47 am »

I have exactly the same video card as you in one of my machines and I have no trouble whatsoever installing VL (or any other distro for that matter) on that machine. I suggest you have one of the foolowing problems, check in the order I list below:

- you have a bad burn of the ISO; did you check the ISO with md5sum?
- you have faulty hardware
- the screensaver of your BIOS is kicking in as I said above
- you are doing something wrong during the install process

the md5sum did match. The hdd has opensuse 11.1 on it before and it worked then.
I never knew that the BIOS had a screensaver. I'll check that out.
I could burn another copy or wait until the final version comes out

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: