VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 03:49:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Packages from final to alpha/betas?  (Read 1231 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: January 28, 2009, 04:06:00 pm »

N00B question here ... Not sure if I've dorked something up or not...  I'm going from V6 RC3 to RC4

Generally, should / can we use packages in the repo for a final release, installing them on an alpha or beta test release?

A yes or no's fine for me, if that suffices.

I am assuming that gslapt pulls in dependecies, but how messy is this if the Kernal's changed in between?

(If this deserves a "RTFM"  Shocked reply, let me know.)

cheers
- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:41:34 pm »

Grin If I'm understanding you correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. While the packages may be aimed at the final release, they are all built against one of the beta/RC releases.

Hopefully, deps should be handled. If not, let the packager know. There have been a few instances where packages have been built against against things that have changed (though I think most of them relate to 5.9 rather than 6.0).

For 6.0, it would be a good idea to limit your use of packages from the gsb repo, since they may pull in a lot of Gnome related dependencies that you don't really need. OpenOffice is a good example - don't pick the one with gsb in the filename...

paul.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »

Be careful with alsa-driver.  The driver is built against a specific version of the kernel.  You can't mix and match.  Most everything else should work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:35 pm »

(If this deserves a "RTFM"  Shocked reply, let me know.)
I don't know that I've ever seen that term or mentality on this forum which is one of many reasons you won't find a better community in the linux world.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:24:26 am »

I don't know that I've ever seen that term or mentality on this forum which is one of many reasons you won't find a better community in the linux world.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've never seen RTFM in the forum either...
That's nice.
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:19:22 pm »

thank you all...

and as far as "RTFM" - that was a jest as I was certain too that it had not likely happened here.

Long live this Happy Distro Bunch!

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: