VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 11:54:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 51136 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 09:08:12 pm »

Obviously something is wrong with my installation as many others have successful installs.  I'm attempting to install RC4 on a Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (Katmai) 500MHz 384MB Ram.  I have had VL5.9 and RC3 installed.  Both times I have tried to install RC4, as it opens the Network Configuration, it reports
This application has raised an unexpected error and must abort.
[-1]Bad index
FrmNet.conf.?.0
Clicking OK gives a gray screen.  Right clicking on it gives 4 option, one of which leads to FreeCell which is very good, another allows me to shut down or restart (among other options).  Originally, Ihad the 13GB drive partioned for 500 MB swap and the rest for the installation. Now it is
Code:
hda1 Boot 3999.75 / (VL5.9 Std)
hda2 Boot 3999.75 / (VL6.0-RC4)
hda3 Boot 1000.20 / (Install - no CD permantly attached)
hda5           600.22 Swap
hda6         4001.30 /home
I installed 5,9 from a cd and place rc3 or RC4 in Install and modified lilo to offer it as a selection.  RC3 was successfully installed by this method.  RC4 stopped as indicated above and also munged my boot. So I again attached a cd partioned the drive as indicated, installed 5.9 then rebooted and then copied RC4.iso to install and tried RC4 again with the same result.  Should I go back to RC3?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 06:43:53 am »

Installed on a IBM T40 laptop today using an external USB cd drive as the internal drive is faulty. GUI install went without a hitch athough the configuring hardware stage seems to take a long time with no real visual indication that anything is happening and the next button is not greyed out tempting you to click it.

When prompted to restart the internal cd drive was ejected rather than the USB one that I was installing from.  Cheesy

Still not found any major issues here.

Chris
tawie

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 06:51:13 am »

use lm-sensors error.
# sensors-detect
Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): y
Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.init to /etc/init.d/lm_sensors
for initialization at boot time.
You should now start the lm_sensors service to load the required
kernel modules.

# sensors -s
Can't access procfs/sysfs file
Kernel interface access error
For 2.6 kernels, make sure you have mounted sysfs and libsensors
was compiled with sysfs support!

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2009, 08:38:58 am »

Obviously something is wrong with my installation as many others have successful installs.  I'm attempting to install RC4 on a Compaq Deskpro Pentium III (Katmai) 500MHz 384MB Ram.  I have had VL5.9 and RC3 installed.  Both times I have tried to install RC4, as it opens the Network Configuration, it reports
This application has raised an unexpected error and must abort.
[-1]Bad index
FrmNet.conf.?.0
Clicking OK gives a gray screen.  Right clicking on it gives 4 option, one of which leads to FreeCell which is very good, another allows me to shut down or restart (among other options).  Originally, Ihad the 13GB drive partioned for 500 MB swap and the rest for the installation. Now it is
Code:
hda1 Boot 3999.75 / (VL5.9 Std)
hda2 Boot 3999.75 / (VL6.0-RC4)
hda3 Boot 1000.20 / (Install - no CD permantly attached)
hda5           600.22 Swap
hda6         4001.30 /home
I installed 5,9 from a cd and place rc3 or RC4 in Install and modified lilo to offer it as a selection.  RC3 was successfully installed by this method.  RC4 stopped as indicated above and also munged my boot. So I again attached a cd partioned the drive as indicated, installed 5.9 then rebooted and then copied RC4.iso to install and tried RC4 again with the same result.  Should I go back to RC3?
can you install rc4 from text installer?
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 10:43:24 am »

I'll try that.  Currently, I'm clearing the partition and will enlarge it a bit as I saw that it was close to full - and I hadn't added any other programs.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »

I tried logging into an LXDE session instead of Xfce for the first time since installing RC4.  It starts with an error:

Code:
Error: Unable to establish connection with FAM.

Do you have "FAM" or "Gamin" installed and running?

Gamin is installed by default so I'm surprised it isn't working.

It also came up with no background or icons.  It turns out pcmanfm doesn't start automatically.  Once I run pcmanfm the background and icons appear.  Also, by default, the openbox menu comes up with a right click rather than the pcmanfm desktop menu.  It may not be obvious to new LXDE users that to change the desktop settings they need to go into pcmanfm from the menu.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2009, 02:02:59 pm »

Just installed RC4 - via hosted method - on my IBM X22. Looks good. I got Wicd back (never could get it working with RC3).....

The default Terminal still does not look good - blurry and unfocused - but urxvt looks and works fine.

I will try LXDE next and report back.....

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2009, 03:29:15 pm »

I think someone has already mentioned this, but I've been meaning to for days and keep forgetting. On shutdown, I'm seeing a string of errors from various parts of Alsa - modules that are in use. Still shuts down, but there are 3 or 4 errors as it does so.

paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »

The lady with the IBM T40 came back again (promising to load vector is sure a good way to get women over to a single guy's home).  I earlier posted in this thread that I could not get her wired connection to reliably work.  I decided this time to start from scratch.  Burned another CD iso using K3B.  Decided to use the rc5 gui install (rather than the old 5.9 install).

Got stopped at the gparted page.  Could not get "next" to highlight.  Called never_stop_learning and he got me past that screen.  I doubt that anyone who doesn't have never_stop_learning's phone number can figure out how to highlight "next" from the gparted screen on the GUI install.  Clearly some instruction or a help button is needed.

Anyway, after talking to never_stop_learning I got the "next" button highlighted and the install continued to the end (configure screen).  Went to "configure." Got "Application error-must abort" error and it aborted.  Took out the install disk, went back in via text and vasmed it, completing the install without further error.

Tried internet on wire and it did NOT connect.  Having read on this thread that one possible fix was to delete wicd in both xfce and vasm, I did that.  Wired connection still did not work.  Called never_stop_learning again and he said to put wicd back in both places and turn the "always show wired connection" machine on.  Did so, rebooted and it connected via wire fine.  In fact, wicd also showed my home wireless and a neighbor's. Rebooted again.  Wired connection still worked fine.  Loaded openoffice and a couple of other programs, rebooted, and the wired connection continued to work perfectly.  The lady is very happy with 6.0 rc4 right now..  As am I.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »

I have a suggestion for the initial screen that comes up right after booting. I think it moves too quickly into a GUI autoinstall. There isn't enough time to read everything and think about it. It's hard to realize you can get to a text install by typing linux at the prompt before the GUI install starts if you can't finish reading.

Is it really necessary to automatically start the installation? Simple directions to hit ENTER to start the graphical installation would suffice. Or set the timer to two minutes before anything happens automatically.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
fdeak

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2009, 04:14:45 am »

Is there anybody else who has problems with the visibility of checkboxes?

Unchecked checkboxes are totally invisible for users created after the install with vasmcc.
For users created by the installer the unchecked checkboxes are visible.

This happens on two machines: with the proprietary nvidia driver on a desktop machine and with the radeon driver on a laptop.
The checkboxes are so invisible that I cannot see that there is anything I can check in.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2009, 05:47:32 am »

Thank you, Granny.  You answered my question before I even asked it.  I was trying to find out how to get to the text installer as this is the fourth time I've attempted to install - always crashing at the same point.

Trouble is, I don't even see the point you mentioned to type 'Linux'.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
fdeak

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2009, 06:38:26 am »

My notebook native resolution is 1400x1050.
This resolution can't be selected when the installer starts, but it is not a big problem because the installer runs fine with 1024x768.
But it cannot be set in vxconf which would be nice.

edgeofthewoods

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2009, 07:49:49 am »

Thank you, Granny.  You answered my question before I even asked it.  I was trying to find out how to get to the text installer as this is the fourth time I've attempted to install - always crashing at the same point.

Trouble is, I don't even see the point you mentioned to type 'Linux'.

At the very first screen after the CD starts there is a
boot:

At that point type in linux and let her rip.
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 07:55:47 am »

So far after the 2 minor fixes with hplip and the internet on my son's computer and RC3 on mine with  no issues. All works as intended. VL 6 is a bit slower than VL 5.9 Gold, but not very much. ON my kids computer a Dell Optoplex 22.8 ghz HT  Intel the speed increase from 5.9.1 SOHO is HUGE they are loving it. Only real questions I have now are, 1 The log out menu in LXDE is nice, How do I "move"that to the XFCE side.2 How do I change the back ground in the LXDE, and 3 how do I "Lock" the screen in XFCE? Vector and your folks have out done yourselves with this one. Heck I may leave the KDE  environment totally now!!

Chuck
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:37:09 am by edgeofthewoods » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: