VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 05:13:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 52069 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 09:23:31 am »

Chuck:

There are several ways to do screen lock.  My personal favorite is to add an icon to the panel.  Right click on the panel and select Add New Item.  There is an item called Action Buttons.  You can add a screen lock icon through that item. 

You can also remove the logout icon from the panel and choose both lock and logout when you add the new item.  That gives you two half-size icons, one on top of the other, for lock and logout.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
fox

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 09:41:42 am »

This is my first exposure to Vector, so I can't compare 6RC4 to any earlier version.  I installed it on my Intel Mac mini as a virtual machine in VirtualBox.  This probably insulates me from some of the issues people are having with wireless, but on the other hand, I haven't seen any reports in this thread on installations on a virtual machine.

The result was pretty good, especially given my lack of exposure to Vector and the fact that my experience up until now has been mostly with the "major" distros (Ubuntu, Debian, openSUSE and a bit with Mandriva), all except the latter with Gnome.  I went with the new graphical installer, and instructions were pretty straightforward except for the partitioning part.  I was surprised to find no automatic partitioning option, though fortunately I have had enough experience with gparted to make a good guess as to what I needed.  I went with two partitions, one ext3 with / as mountpoint and one swap partition.  The rest of the installation was pretty routine and before long I was booting into the new distro on my HD.

My connection to my home router is through AirPort wireless on the mini, but both VirtualBox and VMware Fusion mimic a wired connection on virtual machines.  The big test with any vm is whether the tools package will install properly and give full functionality, including mousing to and from vm without a special release key, resizing vm window on the fly and folder sharing.  Happily, VirtualBox tools installed without incident and all of the tools worked.  (VMware tools are more of a challenge, so I installed on VirtualBox to increase my chances of success.)

Other than the lack of an automatic partition option, my only complaint was weird fuzzy graphics on the Terminal right after installation.  Fortunately it went away after a reboot.

The next challenge for me was installing software since VL only gives you the basic stuff.  I used gslapt to install openOffice, Evolution and Rhythmbox, in part because I wanted to see what software was available in the repository.  Both installed without incident.  Unfortunately, Rhythmbox didn't come with the codecs to play AAC (mp4) music files like those in my iTunes and the app didn't offer to get them, but I was pretty certain that what was missing were gstreamer bad and ugly, and they were available through gslapt.  However, the helper application that gets the album art and works to connect Jamendo are still missing, and I don't know what they are called.

I use statistical applications in my work, so I always install "R" and the GUI for R called rkward.  I wasn't surprised that rkward was missing from the repository, but I was that R wasn't present either.  My next test for Vector will be to get the source code for these and try out the graphical compiler tool.

All in all, a pretty good experience for a relative beginner in Linux.  And lest I forget, the Desktop - look and feel is very nice; a real work of art!

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2009, 09:54:08 am »

Hi Fox, welcome to the forum.

We are still working in the repository and new packages are added frequently. I am sure R will make it into the repo soon.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2009, 09:58:27 am »

The fonts in VASM and some other programs are wretchedly small and I have to struggle in order to read them. Please, can't we have either larger fonts or some choice of font size? Many computers are using much higher resolutions these days and fonts that work on low-res monitors are simply intolerable on high-res screens. The monitor on the Athlon 64 X2 is 1600x1200.

Granny,
I think the file you need to edit is ~/.gtkrc-2.0
add something like
Code:
gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 16"

Let us know if that works

Uelsk8s
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2009, 10:14:52 am »

fox:  Welcome to VL! 

Please remember that VL 6 hasn't released yet and the repository is not fully populated.  We added about 40 packages in the last three days and more are on the way.  rkward and R are in the VL 5.9 repository.  You may want to put a note in the New Package Requests section of the forum so that the volunteer packagers know you are looking for them in VL6.  That may speed the process a bit.

Again, welcome.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2009, 01:33:29 pm »

I guess that I'm doing what is called a hosted install.  I have the iso on hd and modify llo to allow me to start it.  I have successfully installed 6.0-RC3 by this method.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2009, 02:21:19 pm »

I use statistical applications in my work, so I always install "R" and the GUI for R called rkward.  I wasn't surprised that rkward was missing from the repository, but I was that R wasn't present either.  My next test for Vector will be to get the source code for these and try out the graphical compiler tool.

Hi Fox,
I have packaged R-2.8.1 for VL6.0 it should be available in a few days in the testing repository.  I haven't had time to really look at RKward yet , but it is a KDE specific program so may take some time to work it out into a package that will work with XFCE. will have to see.
Cheers!
dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2009, 02:23:04 pm »

I guess that I'm doing what is called a hosted install.  I have the iso on hd and modify llo to allow me to start it.  I have successfully installed 6.0-RC3 by this method.
I dont think this would be considered a hosted install.
What are you adding to lilo to be able to start it?
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2009, 02:35:30 pm »

[...] installed it on my Intel Mac mini as a virtual machine in VirtualBox. 
[...] haven't seen any reports in this thread on installations on a virtual machine.
[...]VMware tools are more of a challenge, so I installed on VirtualBox

Hello Fox,

Welcome to VL and to the forum --- this is a great distro and an excellent place to hang out for assistance. I'm chiming in here because you and I have parallel experiences it seems.  As an aside, my reply is all RE VL6, RC3 and below, but am pretty sure it will be fine on rc4 and up. (knock on silicon.)

I've had 5.8, 5.9, and 6, rc2, rc3 working fine in VirtualBox - haven't tried RC4 yet, because I'm probably just going to install it straight to the drive.  I agree with you on VMware - it's a bit of a dog - gave up on it some time ago.

[...] "R" and the GUI for R called rkward. [...]

Although they're not in the repo, I've got R to work in 5.9 and 6, rc3.  And even lthough R in VL is not as snappy as in distributed Quatian or Pelican HPC (for obvious reasons  Grin), it still is faster than other distro's I've tried (on i86 platforms) - because it's running Slackware. VL is pretty dang fast.  Also, of course, it depends on how big of a data set you're crunching and in what way.

My next test for Vector will be to get the source code for these and try out the graphical compiler tool.

I haven't used rkward on VL yet. Not sure how that'll play out because of the KDE dependencies.  But "parts is parts," that is, "apps are apps," so there are plenty of folks here who can help out.

[...]a pretty good experience for a relative beginner in Linux.
Just emerging from the cocoon of Linux N00Byism myself. It's a great basis for maths.

And lest I forget, the Desktop - look and feel is very nice; a real work of art!
Yes, we love it! (and I can't take credit for any of it  Cry)

Well, let us know how it goes, and once again, welcome!

- Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS - @kc1di --- great! you posted just moments before me, so I didn't see you're putting R in the repo. Wonderful, thanks for that! - H
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 02:40:08 pm by WinDoze » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2009, 02:50:26 pm »

I think the file you need to edit is ~/.gtkrc-2.0
add something like
Code:
gtk-font-name="DejaVu Sans 16"

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, restarted X, but the font size seems to be about the same. I haven't rebooted. I also think I'll do that in the /root home directory just to see what happens, since those screens don't show up until I start VASMCC with the root password.

One good thing, though. I discovered that changing the font size enough in .gtkrc *does* make the menu font larger in CheckBook Tracker! I think it wants one of those bitmapped fonts in /usr/share/fonts/75dpi and while 18 was a bit too small, 24 (the next available size) was too large. So I have it set to 18 and it's way better than it was before.

So far no changes are affecting the tiny menu fonts in Dillo.

I'll let you know if thing change after a reboot.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »

Per your suggestions uelsk8s, I copied init.gz and sata to my 5.9 /boot and added the following to lilo
Code:
# Partition 4: iso installer
image = /boot/sata
initrd = /boot/init.gz
root=/dev/ram0
append = "splash=silent load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=75000 rw "
label = installer
  The iso was originally on a separate hd, but have made a partition for it on hda so I could add a cd-rom to reinstall 5.9 which meant that I had to remove the cover - again.  (It is either cover or cd-rom!)

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Nobodyinparticular

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2009, 02:22:52 am »

Confirming previous report, RC4 does not work for me on any system. However, more ways of killing the cat - the RC3 - RC4 delta did the biz. Nice. Let's hope the final fixes these glitches.
fox

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2009, 04:16:30 am »

Thank you all for your welcome and quick replies.  I am very pleasantly surprised by the quick responses to my two posting, and the fact that so many people would know about R and rkward.  (Perhaps I shouldn't be - Linux does attract academic types  Smiley.)

As I noted earlier, I installed RC4 as a virtual machine on VirtualBox.  I have since noted two bugs:
(1) The clock, installed by default on the panel, didn't update to the proper date and time after the vm state was saved and revived a day later.  I was able to reset it with date and time, so I'll have to check whether the problem fixed itself.  Update: it doesn't fix the clock.  The clock keeps time all right, but it doesn't sychronize with any external source so it doesn't "know" that time has passed when a vm state is saved.  Even restarting the vm doesn't fix the problem.
(2) When I tried putting a new clock on the panel, it was nearly invisible on the black panel.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:03:54 am by fox » Logged

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2009, 05:05:03 am »

A couple more observations made:

1) As a normall user if I click on "Scripts" in wicd it asks for a root password but fails to accept it eventually reporting "Failed to run /usr/lib/wicd/configscript.py '0' 'wireless' as user root".

2) I am unable to use wicd to connect to my wifi with ssid disabled. I beleive this issue has been fixed in wicd 1.5.8. Is it to late to include wicd 1.5.8 instead of 1.5.6?

3) As others have noted the menus in opera appear slightly transparent. This is true on machines with nvidia and ATI based graphics cards.

Chris
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:03 am »

(2) When I tried putting a new clock on the panel, it was nearly invisible on the black panel.

Me too. It seems to be because of the colours of the clock applet.
But try the other applet (orage clock, I think), and you can choose the background andforeground colours.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: