VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:04:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 53147 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: January 26, 2009, 10:10:40 pm »

Please post bug reports for RC4 here.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:16:43 am »

Bad news first...

At the start of the install, clicked the 'check installation files' button. Still get an almost instant return with 'everything is ok' message. However., after doing that, when I clicked the 'next' button, I got a popup box 'can't locate setup.conf' followed by an error and lost the GUI installer.

Started again, carefully didn't attempt to check the install files, and the install went through without any errors.

Maybe the check install files code should be left for the next version....

Good news next - my wireless interface is being correctly loaded in RC4. I'm seeing my next door neighbour's wifi access point and getting decent signal levels.

Init works now - I was able to su to root and then use 'init 3' to kill X.

So far, no sign of the update notifier, but looking at services in VasmCC, it seems that the notifier daemon is not starting. I'll try that in a minute.

So far, excellent. More later....

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 06:39:43 am »

Update notifier works after the service was enabled.

Some of the mime types appear to be miss set (not sure how many yet, but .pdf is set to open in Gimp, for example). Some icons are also still missing - in the gnome set, no icon for .tlz, none of the Vector specific icons are showing in the Thunar context menu. Same applies to Rodent theme.

Sound driver loaded fine, but I had to fiddle to get sound working - for some reason, the speakers are always disabled after install.

More later..... (bet you're tired of reading that)

paul.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:54:30 am »

Bon soiree!

RC4 speeds up surfing and better sound effect.would try switch on  a HD classical music radio, opera like "turando", soranto radio...
wired network won't get connected automatically when starting vL6.0rc4,always have to go "Wicd" to connect to router mannually.......any command to fix?
using "gslapt" to install wxcam (in to to use USB webcam), wxcam's still not available from vetor mirror yet, pls. advise  afew  repos. mirror links  for install wxcam !   
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:38:09 am »

wxcam isn't packaged yet.  I simply haven't had time yet.  Please remember that we are all volunteers here and sometimes making a living has to take priority.  It is very high on my to-do list and hopefully it will be in place before the final release.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:33:56 pm »

Numbered items are quoted from my post re: RC3
1. Same problem with NVidia set-up as reported by other users.
  RC4- nVidia Corporation GeForce 7300 GT (rev a2) was set-up without problem, on my compaq desktop,
 using nvidia 180.22 driver.  This worked for me with both the text install and the gui install.
  However, on my toshiba laptop which uses an G72M [Quadro NVS 110m/GeForce Go 7300] I have not been so lucky.

2.-Audio cd's do not play without a lot of fiddling.
 RC4-- I have to change  the CD Audio Player Configuration in xmms from Analog Play Mode to Digital audio extraction. Then it plays fine.

3-For the laptops, I like the option of having the installer set up xorg for synaptics but why can't the synaptics driver be loaded by default or at least some additional instruction saying to download from gslapt. (once it's added to repositories.)
 RC3--Tap and Scroll are not activated by default. Getting them going is not a simple matter for a newbie who would be hoping to see
them working after selecting the touchpad option in the xorg set-up.

RC4--You guys rock!!!  Touchpad scroll and tap worked right out of the box.

4-Where did  "Search for Files and Folders" go.
 RC3--"Search for Files and Folders", ironically, can't be found on RC3. That's one way to make a problem disappear.
 OK, with me I liked CatFish. Hey, maybe bring CatFish back and just call it "Search for Files and Folders" in the menu. (Is it in the repositories?)
 RC4- Maybe I'm missing it but I can't find anything to search for files or folders with?

5-"Vector Linux Samba Network" does not work
RC4--I can't make this work in VL60.  It works for me in VL-light 6.0 where it's called "Windows Networking"
 ken:$ /sbin/vlsmbmnt
 Mounting [\\KENNAZ-DESKTOP\recordings] at [/home/ken/mnt/KENNAZ-DESKTOP-recordings]
 mount error: could not find target server. TCP name KENNAZ-DESKTOP/recordings not found
 No ip address specified and hostname not found

6.-RC3 Verify installation Files, doesn't seem to do anything.
 RC4The Verify Installation Files' function seems to tell you everything is ok when you first click "Start", then if you click it again it will actually begin the process of verifying the install cd.

7. I error out when trying to set up a windows dual boot. Tried 3 times. 2x gui install. 1x text install. I've attached a picture of the error message.  If it's something I'm doing I sure would be glad if someone could help me out.
       --update.  From the terminal I used liloconfig and I received the same error, however when I used vliloconf I was able to finally set-up my machine as dual boot with windows. Happy day.
 RC4- I'm still having the same problem-(have only tryied gui install).  vliloconf works fine at setting it up after I've installed so it's no biggy.

8. GKrellm installs but does not have a menu entry.
RC4 -It has a menu entry now.

9. If you choose 'clock' and add it to the panel. It is invisible.
RC4-Still invisible. Black numbers on a black background. This is not a biggy of course as there are other better clock choices.

10.  Had the same trouble as an KOSH with RC3 during the net configuration portion of gui install on one machine only.  As he posted it halted the gui and the computer had to be restarted but the rest of the install went fine from there.
RC4-No such problem this install.

11. Openbox appears as a session choice, but does not appear as if any development has been done on it for VL6.0.  Maybe it's just there because LXDE is based off of it, but if it is going to show up as a session choice it might as well have the right menu entries and all it's expected functions.
RC4-Still the same...maybe just fix the menu entries. 

12. VL-hot-config does not launch.  There does not seem to be a vl-hot.config.gambas in /sbin
RC4-Still does not launch but the problem has changed.  The command in the launcher is /sbin/vsuper /sbin/vl-hot-config.gambas
this produces this result in terminal.
 ken:$ /sbin/vsuper /sbin/vl-hot-config.gambas
sh: /sbin/vl-hot-config.gambas: No such file or directory

13.  A) Vpackager generates will generate a .tlz file for me but if I choose to save it, it say that it will and gives me the file where it's saving it to but after I hit OK, I go to the file and nothing is there.
   B) If I choose to install the file from vpackager instead of saving I get an error.  (2nd pic included.)
       On another machine vpackager ran right through no error but nothing was installed.  On both machines I was able to successfully, ./configure, make, and make install the package.  (WxCam 1.03 if your curious)
RC4 Have not had time to test this one. I was hoping someone else could, I just have not used it enough to say that any errors are not of my own making.

Really, thank you guys for going to RC4.  I am excited to see how distrowatch reacts to a really polished VL6.0 when it is released.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 02:28:04 pm »

errr.... I dont see the picture for your lilo error bob Smiley

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:57:24 pm »

11. Openbox appears as a session choice, but does not appear as if any development has been done on it for VL6.0.  Maybe it's just there because LXDE is based off of it, but if it is going to show up as a session choice it might as well have the right menu entries and all it's expected functions.
RC4-Still the same...maybe just fix the menu entries. 

I think it's ok to have it without tweaking.  I don't think we have any openbox
user who wants to prepare a menu for all programs in vl.  It's nice to have it
there as a choice, in case the other wm crashes, or you want a pretty clean wm
that loads in no time.

pevsner

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:39:11 pm »

Hi,
Great so far VL6 RC4:
Install (graphical gui) no problems, fonts look great, nvidia driver fine, uk keyboard sets fine, can drop down with init.
Will be taking 5.9 completely off real soon. Btw thxs for updating Hplip, prints A3 now.
Opera still has semi transparent drop down menus.
Well done everyone. Smiley
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:50:00 pm »

errr.... I dont see the picture for your lilo error bob Smiley

Sorry picture is posted on the rc3 thread.
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8197.msg55945#msg55945

Hey who's bob Smiley

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:46 pm »

RC3 ran great, I installed RC 4 on a separate HD. Everything but the wired internet works. If I run net conf  it comes up but when I reboot there is no eth0. That is on two different machines. Both with the same main board. One is a HP Pavalon and the other is a machine I built. Here is my LSPCI

Code:
thrudheim://home/charles
root:# lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP61 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 IDE (rev a2)
00:07.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:08.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP61 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 70)
01:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)
Any ideas on getting it to start automatically? It does'nt bug me to much but the wife it does!!:)
Thanks for all the work on this project

Chuck
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:29:25 pm »

RC3 ran great, I installed RC 4 on a separate HD. Everything but the wired internet works. If I run net conf  it comes up but when I reboot there is no eth0. That is on two different machines. Both with the same main board. One is a HP Pavalon and the other is a machine I built. Here is my LSPCI
Chuck can you show the output of /etc/sysconfig/vector please maybe we can figure it out.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:04:47 pm »

I installed RC4 on two computers today. On the Celeron desktop I again used the hosted install. Everything went perfectly. No problems with anything. This has been my test machine since the VL6 alphas. It is very Linux friendly, so I didn't expect any problems.

Wish I could say that for installing on the Gateway laptop! I used a text install from a CD. Everything went fine in the installation. NVidia video driver installed in seconds. Sound worked fine the first time and continues to work. But then I discovered that the accursed touchpad is working, contrary to my selection during installation! I was careful to choose NOT to have the touchpad driver loaded, thinking that would disable it. But the dratted thing ISN'T disabled. I absolutely detest that. I use a wireless notebook mouse and don't want the touchpad working AT ALL. I disabled it in 5.9 but don't know if the same approach will work with 6. If at all possible, could we PLEASE have a way during or after installation to disable touchpads without having to jump through hoops or doing obscure edits to xorg.conf?

Now--wireless. I was expecting no problems, based on some of the glowing reports here. Ha! It was a horrendous mess and by some miracle, I got it working and am using my wireless connection as we speak. The wireless chip is a Realtek 8185. It needs ndiswrapper and a Windows XP driver. Instead, the rtl8180 module was loaded. AND there was eth0, which uses a wired network chip. Bad news! That has to be disabled in order for the wireless to work. Otherwise the computer tries to use the wired connection--but there isn't one.

I eventually got the wireless to work by digging through my notes and following (sort of) the directions for setting up wireless. What got me so frustrated was that all these fancy new wireless tools in VL6 didn't work for me. I couldn't find anything for setting up ndiswrapper and telling it what driver to use. (Actually, I did see something briefly but due to the disgusting touchpad interpreting a touch as a click, the ndiswrapper setup thing disappeared, incorrectly and incompletely configured, and I couldn't find it again.) Good grief, we need some directions! How can someone search the forum if he/she can't set up the connection? Now I have to figure out how I can permanently disable eth0 showing up in ifconfig. I don't yet know if my wlan0 will come up automatically after a reboot.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I was just so disappointed that my wireless was such a mess, I was flying blind in trying to fix it, and I could NOT have fixed it with anything in VASM or from the network menu.

Oh yes, another thing. I had at least three hard lockups where neither mouse nor keyboard would work and I had to turn off the computer before I could reboot.

A major annoyance--
On the laptop (14.1" screen, 1280x800 resolution) the fonts in VASMCC are *so small* that I have to struggle mightily to see them. I've adjusted font sizes in XFce settings and qtconfig, but I don't know what controls the size in VASMCC and other screens for system settings.

So on the Celeron desktop, superb. On the Gateway laptop, not so much.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 04:28:35 am »

Chuck can you show the output of /etc/sysconfig/vector please maybe we can figure it out.

Here you go The first is RC3.
MOUSETYPE0="ps2"
XMOUSETYPE0="PS/2"
MOUSE0_FULLNAME="Generic 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)"
MOUSE0_DEVICE="/dev/psaux"
CDROM0_FULLNAME="ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH"
CDROM0_DEVICE="hda"
CDROM1_FULLNAME="HL-DT-ST GCE-8487B"
CDROM1_DEVICE="hdb"
XSERVER="XFree86"
XMODULE="vesa"
XDESC="nVidia Corporation|NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

....To be continued once I reboot into RC4

And here is RC4
MOUSETYPE0="imps2"
XMOUSETYPE0="IMPS/2"
MOUSE0_FULLNAME="unknown"
MOUSE0_DEVICE="/dev/input/mice"
MOUSETYPE1="ps2"
XMOUSETYPE1="PS/2"
MOUSE1_FULLNAME="Generic 3 Button Mouse (PS/2)"
MOUSE1_DEVICE="/dev/psaux"
CDROM0_FULLNAME="ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH"
CDROM0_DEVICE="hda"
CDROM1_FULLNAME="HL-DT-ST GCE-8487B"
CDROM1_DEVICE="hdb"
XSERVER="XFree86"
XMODULE="vesa"
XDESC="nVidia Corporation|NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"

The only difference is that on RC3 the GUI installer failed and I used text, and I used the GUI on RC4.
Looks it each version saw the mouse differently. The other computer my friend needed back and it has 5.9.1 on it but as soon as the bugs get worked out he really wanst VL 6.0 back.
Again thanks for everyones work on this project

Chuck
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 04:39:56 am by edgeofthewoods » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 06:08:02 am »

... The wireless chip is a Realtek 8185. It needs ndiswrapper and a Windows XP driver. Instead, the rtl8180 module was loaded. ...

What got me so frustrated was that all these fancy new wireless tools in VL6 didn't work for me. I couldn't find anything for setting up ndiswrapper and telling it what driver to use. ... Good grief, we need some directions! How can someone search the forum if he/she can't set up the connection? Now I have to figure out how I can permanently disable eth0 showing up in ifconfig. I don't yet know if my wlan0 will come up automatically after a reboot.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I was just so disappointed that my wireless was such a mess, I was flying blind in trying to fix it, and I could NOT have fixed it with anything in VASM or from the network menu.

VLwifi should set up your wireless and use ndiswrapper if it can't find a useful module already loaded. You may need to blacklist the rtl8180 module at some point prior to rebooting or it'll be reloaded and block the loading of your rtl8185 module. Also while VLwifi has the option for auto-loading it has been inconsistent for me in the past (but better with rc3 and rc4 so far).

I heartily agree with you about many of the included utilities for wireless. It may just be my ignorance in their configuration but I find them less than helpful for a variety of reason. As for VASM it has offered to use ndiswrapper for me but I'm not sure how I got there other than possibly the obvious option for wireless setup.
HTH,
Miek

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: