VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 11:01:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 52651 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:02 am »

I posted this in the wrong place yesterday...will show it is moved to here  I use the old 5.9 installer for 6.0. Have not tried the normal install with rc3 or rc4 but will next time to see if I can understand it.

I put rc3 on my friend's HP compaq laptop Sunday and it worked great.  Wireless fine. Didn't try wire. Put it on another friends IBM t40 tonight and it would not get on internet via wire (didn't try wireless).  So I loaded rc4 on the T40 and it still would not get wired internet. ifconfig showed eth1 but inet set on vasm was to eth0.  So switched inet to eth1 and worked fine.  But on reboot, same problem....had to keep changing the inet. Finally gave up.  Works though, if inet changed to whatever ifconfig shows after its up and running.  Tried to show friend how to change inet but doubt she understood.  Bit of blind leading the blind here.

Also note that rc3 loaded fine on both HP and t40 (using the old 5.9 installer) but same type install of rc4 on T40 didn't go well.  Hung up near the end.  Took the install disk out, rebooted into text and completed install with vasm. Seemed fine, except for above-noted problem with Clearwire.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:46 am »

Installed to my T42 today (won't have the machine much longer, but thought I might as well test RC4 on it while I can).

I tried the 'verify installation files' button again. Still nothing useful, but this time it didn't kill the install, as it did on the T61. However, at the end of the install, I got the network configuration screen for a second, then the installer died. While I managed to restart the installer, it was right back to the beginning, which wasn't very useful. Did a clean boot and tried again, this time without touching the 'verify install files'. That install went through without problems.

Working fine on the T42. On interesting tihng - the update notifier was active from the first boot, even though the service was not marked as active in VasmCC.

Other than that, everything seems to be runing fine. I get better wifi signal levels on the T61 than I do on the T42, but whether that is a driver issue or simply that the T61 has a better wireless card, I don't know.

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 11:20:05 am »

VLwifi should set up your wireless and use ndiswrapper if it can't find a useful module already loaded. You may need to blacklist the rtl8180 module at some point prior to rebooting or it'll be reloaded and block the loading of your rtl8185 module. Also while VLwifi has the option for auto-loading it has been inconsistent for me in the past (but better with rc3 and rc4 so far).

I heartily agree with you about many of the included utilities for wireless. It may just be my ignorance in their configuration but I find them less than helpful for a variety of reason. As for VASM it has offered to use ndiswrapper for me but I'm not sure how I got there other than possibly the obvious option for wireless setup.

I did find ndiswrapper in VLwifi, but I think it was after the whole wireless thing disappeared and I had to set it up again, after doing rmmod to get rid of rtl8180. Since it didn't know about any wireless setups, it did offer ndiswrapper and I was able to direct it to the XP driver on my Windows partition. I then had to go through the whole thing and finally had a wireless connection again.

It did seem to survive a reboot, although rtl8180 was listed in lsmod, along with ndiswrapper. That sounds wrong but the connection did work.

One thing that bothers me with VLwifi is that I have to go through the whole setup if the wireless drops. It won't reconnect just by clicking on Connect (which was an option in another applet--not at that computer now, but I think it was wicd network manager). This is a great bother because I use fixed IP addresses and have to enter everything all over again, plus I use WPA and have a 15-letter password with mixed case, numbers, and symbols. Typing that whole thing over and over gets old pretty fast. I think I'm going to create a well-disguised file with the password so I can just copy and paste instead of typing that monster every time. My wireless connection was shaky yesterday; I hope it'll be better today.

I'd like to see VLwifi offer the settings last used rather than fresh default settings, at least as far as the fixed IP addresses go.

Given the difficulties that can occur with wifi, at some point it would be good if VL could include a text or HTML file specifically about dealing with common problems. I wish I could write such a thing, but given my lack of knowledge about problems I've had and never had and my ignorance of possible solutions and wireless HowTo's in general, I don't have anything to contribute.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:37 am »

The issue with Realtek chipsets exists in pretty much every distro, not just VL.  The problem is that there are native Realtek drivers but they are truly awful (as in limited range if they work at all).  Since the native Realtek driver is present as a kernel module Linux (not just VL) loads that and assumes that ndiswrapper isn't needed.  I saw this with the rtl8187 driver in Ubuntu as well.  This isn't something the VL developers will be able to fix as it is definitely upstream at the kernel level.

The solution is to blacklist the rtl8xxx driver (where xxx is the number of the driver actually being loaded).  Then you should be able to use ndiswrapper normally.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 11:26:18 am »

wicd network manager should allow you to add your fixed IP address and WPA pw so that you can click connect and get it to do so. This has worked for me in rc3 at least. It just didn't autoconnect after a reboot on occasion.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:28 pm »

The issue with Realtek chipsets exists in pretty much every distro, not just VL.  The problem is that there are native Realtek drivers but they are truly awful (as in limited range if they work at all).  Since the native Realtek driver is present as a kernel module Linux (not just VL) loads that and assumes that ndiswrapper isn't needed.  I saw this with the rtl8187 driver in Ubuntu as well.  This isn't something the VL developers will be able to fix as it is definitely upstream at the kernel level.

The solution is to blacklist the rtl8xxx driver (where xxx is the number of the driver actually being loaded).  Then you should be able to use ndiswrapper normally.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I was blaming VL for the Realtek problems. Nor was I blaming Linux in general. The thing that had me frustrated was that I couldn't find help for what to do without being able to get online. I do have a notebook of printed-out Web pages and forum threads for various situations, so I was able to go through the old wireless setup HowTo (excellent for its time but now a bit out of date) and get ndiswrapper going and make necessary edits in /etc files. What would a newbie do, though?

I had worse problems getting wireless going back when we were testing 5.9 Standard. I tried various LiveCDs to see what they'd do with it in hopes I could figure it out and apply it to VL. Most of the LiveCDs couldn't deal with the Realtek 8185 either, but one did a pretty good job and I really liked their wireless setup applet. I think it was PCLinuxOS--is that the one derived from Mandrake? It was very slick and it worked. But the connection dropped *always*--sometimes after several hours, sometimes in a few minutes, and it was using ndiswrapper with the XP 8185 driver. When I finally got the problem solved with lots of help from the VL forum, 5.9 did hold onto the connection pretty well. So score one for us.

Back when I was testing 5.9, I did try the native Realtek driver for 8185 and as you say, it was truly awful. The XP driver under ndiswrapper does quite well. Fortunately, only one of my three Linux computers has wireless, so once I get the laptop going, I don't have to deal with it again.<g>

I do have to say that I was very pleased that sound worked out of the box. The notebook has an NVidia flavor of intel-hda and it took me weeks to get sound when I was testing 5.9 Standard--again, with lots of help from the Forum. This time it "just worked," so there are major advances in that.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Gullible Jones

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:57 pm »

User account and password creation in the graphical installer don't work properly. User supposedly created in the account creation dialog are not in fact generated, and the new root password isn't applied either, leaving the user locked out of the system on first boot. I'd say this is pretty serious.

Also, a missing feature: JFS filesystem creation is supported by the (broken) graphical installer, but not the text installer. It would probably be a good idea to give the text installer JFS support as well.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 02:29:30 pm »

Text install went well on IBM TP600 as gui still not working on this box. Once installed my ralink usb wifi worked out of the box for the first time in VL so a big thanks for that. As I have mentioned in previous releases I do get strange behaviour with terminal 0.2.8.3 as in the top window bar with the minimise and close icons is missing. Not a big problem for me as VL6.0 light is much better suited to this machine.

On my desktop I used the gui installer, all went well including creating user and root accounts. My only real comment is that it seemed to take a long time during final configuration screen (5+ minutes) before moving on. Only issue that I have noticed is that pcman tools>open current folder as root fails to recognise my root password.

Other than that VL6.0 looks ready to release to me....well done !

Chris
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:05:35 pm »

hi Uli,
just did a fresh install of RC4 and it all went very well really like the new graphics and everthing is just perking along so far .
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
CrazyDog

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »

RC4 stalls when loading GUI at "starting firewall" if you have the built in firewall set up.  At least it did for me.  Also, it would be nice to have an option (maybe after selecting to use the touchpad), to have numlock on at boot.

Thanks!
CrazyDog
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »

In RC2 and RC3 I've been able to use HP device manager to set-up my printer an HP c4250. No go, however, for RC4.  I can set up in cups no problem so it's not a show-stopper but I'm here to report bugs so here you go.

It finds my device no problem but then when I click next it says ppd can not be found.  So I find the ppd manually (at /usr/share/cups/model/HP/ right where it should be, enter the printer information, click next and get "Printer Que Setup failed." please restart cups and try again.

I'm reloading RC3 on my other system to see if I can spot the reason for the different behavior.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Nobodyinparticular

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 12:47:11 am »

No problems with rc2 or rc3 but rc4 seems 'broken'.
Whatever the combo of installation choices, it eventually stalls.
If defaults are selected, it falls over at PySolFC.
If PySolFC is deselected, it stalls at penguin-command.
Etc., etc.
Returned to rc3 - works perfectly.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 05:57:10 am »

RC3 ran great, I installed RC 4 on a separate HD. Everything but the wired internet works. If I run net conf  it comes up but when I reboot there is no eth0. That is on two different machines. Both with the same main board. One is a HP Pavalon and the other is a machine I built. Here is my LSPCI
Chuck can you show the output of /etc/sysconfig/vector please maybe we can figure it out.
I've noticed a very similar problem with my install also. RC4 , when I set up the networking so I can connect it's all lost after reboot.
dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
pevsner

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 08:50:05 am »

In RC2 and RC3 I've been able to use HP device manager to set-up my printer an HP c4250. No go, however, for RC4.  I can set up in cups no problem so it's not a show-stopper but I'm here to report bugs so here you go.

stretchedthin:_ see my comment on rc3 or in printers

HP printer, hplip included VL6rc3 is 2.8.4 which unfortunately is the only version that doesn't include A3 printing for my HP1220c printer.
I updated to the latest 2.12, but have the "printer queue setup failed" warning. So found a hack which is run "LC_ALL=$LANG.UTF8 hp-toolbox" in terminal - works fine. Is there a way to include this setting in a config file somewhere so I can forget about it and allow to run toolbox normally.
Also I havent been able to get the HP plugin to work with VL6.
Suggestions appreciated.
pevsner

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 09:03:39 am »

Below is a comment re above I found on the net re Hplip:
Slackware 12.1/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT
There is a minor problem with the HPLIP and CUPS versions in Slackware 12.1;
hp-toolbox will not work unless LC_ALL is set to a UTF8 locale.
An easy workaround is to start it with "LC_ALL=$LANG.UTF8 hp-toolbox" if
you're not using a UTF8 locale. Also, your user account must be a member
of the "lp" group for hp-toolbox to work properly, and to use the scanner
portion of some (all?) HP print/scan/copy units, you'll need to be a member
of the "lp" group. This is due to the fact that hplip's udev rules set
the device with group "lp" ownership.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: