VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 01:26:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 51043 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2009, 09:39:06 am »

FWIW, I installed RC4 with the graphical installer and most everything went well and all works. The only issue was with the lilo install step. Granted, this is due to some old issue with the windows partition (second partition on HDD, swap is first), so lilo always gives an error and reports that I should use ignore-table or fix-table. Maybe this should be added somewhere in the lilo config/install screen (with a big disclaimer if selecting fix-table, I guess). Obviously, I ended up booting the installed system via the VL install CD and editing lilo.conf to add ignore-table, then running lilo.

BTW, I just love the new wallpaper!!! And finally the default icon theme is not vista-inspirate....

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2009, 10:00:58 am »

BTW, I just love the new wallpaper!!! And finally the default icon theme is not vista-inspirate....

Hi Joe,
I'm with you love the new wallpaper also.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2009, 06:27:07 pm »

2. Wicd does not connect right away to the wireless network after reboot or hibernate/suspend... it tries to connect to the wired network instead, and only after a long while does it go to the wireless one (even though no cable is plugged in). Options to automatically connect and to reconnect on connection loss are checked.

Ignore that... I guess I was just being silly.
Unchecking the "use as default profile box" (or something like that) did the trick.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:10 pm »

wcs:  Go into the directory in the repo where the test isos are kept.  I think you know the one.  Pull out rc4.2.  I think you'll find the GUI installer now works perfectly well at 1024x600.  It does on my Sylvania so it should on your Acer  Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2009, 11:39:57 pm »

Any of you that have had wicd issues would you please try this package see if it helps any
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8410.0
If you have the testing repo opened in gslapt should be there.

Thanks,
Vec
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 02:52:19 am »

Bonjour! Vector,
Any of you that have had wicd issues would you please try this package see if it helps any

Just tried and upgraded to wicd1.5.8,the issue remains, still have to  press "connect button" @ wicd panel mannually  to get get connected with the router.
pevsner

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2009, 05:46:34 am »

Excellent so far Rc4, (havent tried the .1, or .2)

With wine 1.14, the fonts are'nt as good as on 5.9, thin and jagged(antaliasing I guess).
I have a Nvidia geforce 6200 card and using the vl 173.xxx.xx driver.
Any suggestions.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2009, 06:30:36 am »

Oops... no ifplugd!?!?  Huh

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:02 am »

I was just reading this thread re: vpackager ...
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8396.0;topicseen, when Fox completes the process in vpackager there is no .tlz file to be found. 

I experienced the same trouble when testing it in RC3.  Seeing that both myself and Fox are relatively new, (at least to vpackager) could someone with a little experience test vpackager from this release. Thanks in advance.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2009, 11:10:30 am »

I wasn't having any real problems with the version in RC4, but the new version is quite a bit quicker on my machine - finds local wireless networks faster than the older version did.

The only peculiarity I've noticed with it is a sort of 'shadow' effect. When I click on the system tray icon, the window that comes up has a shadow of whatever was detected the last time it was used. Takes a second for any changes to register. Not a problem, just visually a bit odd.

paul.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:53 am »

I've been running the new version of wicd on the Sylvania since last night.  I was out and about and did get to use the netbook on the road while waiting for an appointment this morning.  I didn't have any problems with 1.5.6 and I still don't have any problems with 1.5.8.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2009, 11:59:40 am »

With wine 1.14, the fonts are'nt as good as on 5.9, thin and jagged(antaliasing I guess).
I have a Nvidia geforce 6200 card and using the vl 173.xxx.xx driver.
Any suggestions.

Did you try this? At a terminal prompt, type
winecfg
as user. With Default Settings highlighted in the Applications tab, click on Desktop Integration. Click on the down arrow by Item. Start at the top (Active Border) and using the down arrow, go down through the list. Whenever the Font button to the right becomes ungreyed out, click on Font and choose the font and size before clicking on OK. Click on alt+e to resume where you were and keep moving down the list with the down arrow, again watching the Font button and adjusting the font and size as you wish. When you're ready to leave winecfg, click on OK at the bottom of the Wine Configuration window. The next time you start a Wine program, your fonts (menus, tool tips, and such) should no longer look spindly.

It works for me. I hope it works for you.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2009, 12:04:34 pm »

I'm trying to install the proprietary ATI driver for a Radeon 200 video chip. I get an error message, which the ATI install log gives as:
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Error] Kernel Module : No kernel module build environment - please consult read
me.

This doesn't mean much to me. I'm using the kernel and ATI proprietary driver included with RC4. I installed whatever kernel-related things were offered in the text install. What's wrong?

I'm currently using the open-source radeon driver, which works fine but gives me less than 600 fps with glxgears.  Probably doesn't matter since I'm not a gamer, but still...
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2009, 12:06:11 pm »

Doesn't fix my issue of being able to connect with ssid disabled. The strange thing is that when I disable my ssid the network shows in the list but without any name whereas other networks display as <hidden>. Works fine if I enable ssid so I guess I will have to live with that for now.

A big thanks for packaging the latest wicd

Chris
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »

Today when I tried to start Opera, it didn't start and I got this when I tried to run Opera from a terminal prompt:
/usr/lib/opera-9.63/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

What happened to it? I've done several updates (AbiWord and its related stuff, GOffice, some others). Maybe one of them "disappeared" libGL.so.1? I copied the library and its symlink from my other desktop to /usr/lib on this computer and Opera ran as expected after that.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: