VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 11:30:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 feedback and bug reports  (Read 51764 times)
CrazyDog

« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2009, 04:52:30 pm »

Thanks so much for the response guys/gals.   That is one of the reasons I will stay with Vector.  It's the people that make the distro what it is.
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2009, 07:28:34 pm »

So far only 3 minor items with RC4, 2 have been solved, the HPLIC and the network issues. Just started using k3B to burn dvd iso's This one gives an error but no output from CLI nor anything. Exactly 50% of the time whenI try to burn a DVD iso the entire system locks up. CTRL ALT BACKSPACE does try to restart X but the system will eventually not respond. No mouse, no CTRL ALT DELETE. It takes a hard power off to restart. Now after reboot K3Bburns a DVD iso fine. I thought it was a K3B issue but the same in Gnome Baker. Any ideas?
Plus any estimate when 6.0 GOLD will be turned loose?
Edited to add:

New one cropped up today.

Code:
Could not look up internet address for vector.linux..net.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
vector.linux..net to the file /etc/hosts on your system.
I never got around to changing the name of the machine after I put in 6.0. Today this error pooped up. I hit continue and things go smooth. here is my /etc/hosts file
Code:
#
# hosts This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
# mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
# used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
# On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
# "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
# and any aliases to this file...
#
# By the way, Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra@nvg.unit.no> says that 127.0.0.1
# should NEVER be named with the name of the machine.  It causes problems
# for some (stupid) programs, irc and reputedly talk. :^)
#

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1 localhost
# This next entry is technically wrong, but good enough to get TCP/IP apps
# to quit complaining that they can't verify the hostname on a loopback-only
# Linux box.
127.0.0.1   vector.linux.net vector

# End of hosts.

Chuck
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 07:35:29 pm by edgeofthewoods » Logged
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #137 on: February 12, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »

I finally broke down and DL'd a newer RC4, moved partitions around, and after a couple of tries (partition too small!!), the hosted install went with a glitch.  Got it to the point that Win98 could copy files from it.  In the middle of the copy, though, things went crazy: my local LAN seemed to be inoperative.  A little later, I found that /etc/exports was in its pristine condition!  I had 5 entries in it!  I doubt that this is a VL issue, however, as I had similar things happen to other files in VL5.9 Gold - the latest was to disable my user logins.  And it wasn't because I was sharing home between two versions as I did on the other machine.  I haven't checked yet but I surmise the same thing caused 5.9Live installed on another partition lost the ability to use the mouse wheel - no, the ZAxisMapping option is still in xorg.conf!

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2009, 09:18:24 am »

absolutely beautiful job on the installer !

I gave this release a spin and i am blown by its quality. The installer is both amazingly clean and effective ...but it seems quite stable. I've tested wether it would crash if i play around with it and i even teased it by doing things that some people wouldnt ordinarily do- after going through some settings,like adding users, going backward and forward through the steps. Not a hitch.
I was charmed by the network configuration step- not only did it give me a very nice and organised,simple menu to set it, but it also figured out which eth the network cable was plugged in !in the past this has been a nag for me to figure out which eth needs to be set,because in many distros its always changing the numbers of my two network adapters.Specially the vl 5* versions used to have the bug of constantly swapping eth0 and eth1- that always made me mad whenever i had to install vector.Now this bug seems to be elliminated for good.
 What really amazed me is the hidden menu,where i found that great collection of good old games,such as gallaga,tetris and space invaders (btw i found space invader in chakra linux installer a while ago- an arch spinoff).
I loved that..it should be default for all installers out there. Awesome idea- made the waiting enjoyable. =)

Only at the last step of the install, the installer seemed to freeze,or just take too long,so i killed it and restarted from the menu. That didnt seem harm my installation,i didnt get any ill messages while booting

The one single problem that i've always had with vector linux is gone- internet worked out of the box and i saw that configuration is not as frustrating as it used to be in the past. Strangely- wicd couldnt pick my curent network settings,which i've put during installation.But that didnt stop internet from working.So i disabled wicd,thinking that it will work great for my brother's eee pc (he can't live without wifi)..

GRAPHICS:
I loved the design of the installer.The only thing that i though was kind of ugly were the green,yellow and red circles that indicated the steps.They look kind of out of place. If you give me the specs (filetype,size) i could try to make alternative versions for those files.

The default theme in VL6 is very nice to the eyes. The wallpaper is just beautiful.The icon theme- perfect. Everything seems to fit in one polished picture.Very very nice. color theme is awesome!

THINGS THAT NEED SOME ATTENTION:

FT associations in thunar and pcmanfm:
some of the standart image filetypes. Gif files should not be opened with gimp by default.Also Gqview can not handle animated gif files and shows them as still images. ristretto or Mirage can render animated gif files , and is as simple and lightweight as gqview.I think that it should be included in the xfce package if possible.
Same goes for PNG files- they shouldnt be opened by default with the gimp. (btw thanks for including such an up-to-date version of the gimp this time)

The size of the xfce4-panel.I thought it was huge. If that would make VL look better on other resolutions other than mine,good choice.

this is what i can say for now. I will post if i encounter any bugs!
Btw where is the installer's log file?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:38:47 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:57 pm »

when wicd is disabled,internet does not work at all. I dont mind having it run, but its just that some might not like having it in their tray all the time. Other than that,the option to disable it from starting does work,but causes the internet to stop working on login.
I love wicd- its sooo much better than what vector used to have for configuring internet.

xlock does not really lock the screen.One can press enter without writing any password.That way VL does not have a possible option to lock the desktop.

ctrl+alt+esc (xkill) does not really kill a process- it is still running when i look at the task manager.

I have two sound cards and i noticed that xfce's mixer couldnt control the sound of my second card.
if i try to run alsaconf through vasm (not vasmcc), it wouldnt start
alsaconf is not able to switch my defaut sound card.
The problem was solved by following this guide:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=4888.0
its too bad vasm can not automate this. Could be frustrating for some newbies from ubuntu camp.

ntfs partition wouldnt mount. I get the following message
Code:
Failed to mount '/dev/hda6': Operation not supported
Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action:

Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by
          clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows
          taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly.

Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force' option for
          your own responsibility. For example type on the command line:

mount -t ntfs-3g -o force /dev/hda6 /mnt/disc-d

Or add the option to the relevant row in the /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda6 /mnt/disc-d ntfs-3g force 0 0
I didnt have this problem with previous vector (59) i think..or previous distros

One thing that is gone as a bug for me is the pesky xfce- /etc/hosts annoyance on startup. I used to get that all the time in 59 while trying to stop eth0 and 1 from switching. With the new internet configuration in vecs installer and wicd- network handling seems to be a lot more stable and simple.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:02:45 pm by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2009, 04:54:49 pm »

ntfs partition wouldnt mount. I get the following message...

That is the warning when a NTFS partition is shutdown "dirty" and Windows wants to run chkdsk. Shouldn't be an issue for VL but rather Windows and ntfs-3g.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2009, 08:23:07 pm »

I've already reported my continuing problems with rtl8185 wireless. I can connect (I'm using the wireless connection right now), but getting there is a struggle--every time. I'm not sure I reported the pattern.

The connection is never working when I boot into VL. I have to run VLwifi in order to get the connection working. I've set up wicd for my fixed IP, WPA, strong password configuration, but wicd does not ever make the connection. Occasionally it reports that I'm connected, but pinging my router is unsuccessful.

In order to get a working connection I have to run VLwifi several times--six or seven, most of the time. Running it once never succeeds. This has me wondering what the problem is. You'd think that if VLwifi can get a working connection after several tries, it should succeed on the first try.

I thought that maybe it took the computer more time to get its wireless act in order, so I've waited as long as ten minutes before attempting to get a working connection and have also given it several minutes after I've run VLwifi, but these did nothing. The only thing that works is to keep running VLwifi again and again until the wireless connection is established. wpa-gui does not work.

Once the connection is established, it stays up pretty well. If it drops after several hours, running VLwifi again works and usually with just one or two tries.

None of this was necessary with VL 5.9 Standard. I'm using ndiswrapper with the XP driver for rtl8185, which is what I used with 5.9.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2009, 08:37:15 pm »

I may have discovered the cause of the problems I've been having with getting my wireless connection started. I noticed for the first time the wicd icon in the system tray. After I started XFce I put my cursor over the icon and noticed that wicd was trying to connect--something it has never done successfully. I wondered if wicd trying to connect was interfering with VLwifi, causing me to have to run VLwifi six or more times before I could get a connection. So I unchecked Wicd in the autostarted applications and renamed wicd-tray.desktop in ~/.config/autostart. I then restarted X and XFce and ran VLwifi and--it connected on the first try!

So I decided to go all the way and made /etc/rc.d/init.d/wicd not executable and I rebooted. My goal was to disable wicd so it wouldn't start at all. After rebooting and before doing startx (I use runlevel 2 for logging in), I pinged my router and it communicated without my having to run VLwifi!

I've tested this just twice, so I can't say I've definitely solved the problem, but so far things are looking very promising. I think wicd may have been the culprit.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2009, 08:42:18 pm »

I just now unchecked wicd in VASMCC Services for runlevel 2. We'll see what happens when I reboot, which I hope I won't have to do tonight.
--GrannyGeek

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2009, 09:26:46 pm »

Hi
I downloaded vl6rc4 and burned the iso to cd

the installer pops up a text based dialog asking for screen size..any option gets a wait may flicker then a nice splash. then the screen goes black and sticks..I have to unplug the box.

the old installer works excellent as in 5.9

love the new theme

no thunar as root so a bit of log out log in

no fluxbox ..oh wellll

as usual

does not auto detect the second optical but vasm found it straight away

then had to log back in as root to rename /mnt/cdrecorder "cdwriter" set by vasm

then go to fstab and unmark the cdwriter so it will show in mounter

run k3b once as root while there from experience

set xmms to see the new drive and set digital

players working

gimp is included..nice

command game appears to work..

no dialer, no internet...counts me out I guess..maby light 6 will have it

looks great..in my now humbled opinion

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2009, 06:24:31 am »

fluxbox is in the repository.  You can add it with gslapt immediately after install.

The GUI installer has improved a lot since rc4.  You may want to look at rc4.6 or later.

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-STD-RC4.6.iso

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2009, 12:00:37 pm »

Nice to know fluxbox is still an alternative

with no ability to connect to the net it is hardly worth another download

can use the old until end of life next year I guess

Everything Is Relative
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »

with no ability to connect to the net it is hardly worth another download
We have included the chestnut modem dialer in final..........be here soon!

Cheers,
Vec
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2009, 01:19:50 pm »

Cheers indeed
be here soon!

I'm not going anywhere unless I have to

Smiley

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »

I just now unchecked wicd in VASMCC Services for runlevel 2. We'll see what happens when I reboot, which I hope I won't have to do tonight.

I'm very happy to report that I've rebooted about five times (for testing purposes) and the wireless connection is up and running as soon as VL starts. I don't have to run VLwifi or anything else. So disabling wicd was what fixed my problem. Fabulous!
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: