VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 09:58:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 RC4 has been released!  (Read 16613 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: January 26, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »

The VectorLinux team has released the fourth and we hope final release candidate of VectorLinux 6.0. There were more issues then we anticipated and some major upgrades to key programs that we feel requires  another RC before we can feel comfortable with a final release. With any luck there should be no more RC releases.
       This release builds on the previous release candidate with a all new 2.6.27.12 kernel and the new alsa sound release 1.0.19 that insures functionality for many of the new netbooks and fixes a ton of problems with the intel-hda sound module. The gui installer has been further tweaked with more bug fixes that address some smaller problems. More hardware related issues that were reported in the last release have been fixed. There have been security related updates to critical packages such as openssl, ntfs-3g and a few others. We have included 4 versions of nvidia drivers that should cover all generations of video chipsets. There were some minor tweaks to the graphics and some new packages were added. Internationalization and localization have been improved with additional fonts and bug fixes. We hope everyone will give this a test drive and report any problems/bugs back to our forum development area.

Thank You,
Vector and the "A Team"

The iso and md5sum are here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-RC4.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0RC4.md5sum.txt

Please report bugs here:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8309.0
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:07:31 am »

Wow, you guys are really going above and beyond here.  I had no problems with RC3, but I'll give 4 a whirl and see if I find anything.  Thanks for all the hard work.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 07:14:25 am »

Would a delta from RC3 be too big to bother? I just managed to download RC3 on Friday and haven't even installed it yet... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:07:59 am »

delta is here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-release/VL6.0-STD-RC3toRC4.delta
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 09:15:33 am »

Smiley Oh well, that will teach me to be too quick. Could have saved some VL bandwidth and some of my own if I'd waited a little while....

Still, RC4 is looking good here....

paul.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 09:29:43 am »

Thanks! Was kinda hoping it would be smaller, but minus 205 MB still helps... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
edgeofthewoods

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:34:31 am »

Well  bummer. Just put 6.0 RC3 on my main pc and everyone likes it!! But I'll toss on RC4 and see how things look. Good job folks!!

Chuck
Nobodyinparticular

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 05:44:33 am »

No problems with rc2 or rc3 but rc4 is 'broken'.
Whatever the combo of installation choices, it eventually stalls.
If defaults are selected, it falls over at PySolFC.
If PySolFC is deselected, it stalls at penguin-command.
Etc., etc.
Sorry, guys.

Umm, just one more thing. Why is the default 'English' given as 'English(us)' ? Good heavens, chaps, you are respected members of the Commonwealth, even if you don't play cricket any longer*.

*Canada was one of the first nations to play international test cricket. {Sadly, England was not your opponent on that occasion.}.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:54:48 am by Nobodyinparticular » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:19 am »

Umm, just one more thing. Why is the default 'English' given as 'English(us)' ? Good heavens, chaps, you are respected members of the Commonwealth, even if you don't play cricket any longer*.

*Canada was one of the first nations to play international test cricket. {Sadly, England was not your opponent on that occasion.}.
Love the game (lived in South Africa for over four years) but being American I prefer the "English(us)" default.  Tongue

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
peispud

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 07:32:29 am »

RC4 worked fine for me with a few execptions . The installer was way off center and had to be manually dragged to the center with each and every install step .It would only install to the root partition if I removed the other OSes first , and crashed when choosing a user icon ( couldn't find the file ) . Enough of the install finished that a little post configuration fixed things up . Still no flash in Firefox and the installer from Adobe leaves very jerky video . Opera works fine , and the rest of the desktop is first rate .
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 08:51:33 am »

I only speak English (us) and Spanish... would you prefer Spanish as the default language?

not that I favor any region in particular, but I get the feeling that English (US) is the most common language among our user group. We may speak other languages, but when it comes down to it, we all speak a little English... otherwise we woudln't be posting in English Wink

CrazyDog

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:28 am »

RC4 stalls when loading GUI at "starting firewall" if you have the built in firewall set up.  At least it did for me.  Also, it would be nice to have an option (maybe after selecting to use the touchpad, to have numlock on at boot.

Thanks!
CrazyDog
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:54 am »

Hey folks,

Bug reports are supposed to go here:
 http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8309.0

Thank you very much for the feedback, but if you want to be sure it's seen by the devs and other users, post in the bug report thread above.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Nobodyinparticular

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:47:47 am »

OK - have done, GG.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 10:54:22 am »

RC4 - still no problems.  I'm trying to find any before it's too late  Grin ... but as far as I'm concerned this one isn't only ready to go, but it's the best Linux I've ever used.

Stayed home today (I have a bug, so I took a sick day) so I decided to try the newest Compiz-Fusion.   It works great for me.  I have modest hardware, but this doesn't slow it down one bit (otherwise I would turn it off).

My thanks to everyone who has worked on this release.  I'm definitely buying the Deluxe when it comes out, and once I look over my budget I hope to have some money left over to make a donation.

Tom

P.S. Go VL!

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: