VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 08:30:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Learn to program gambas with us!  (Read 7719 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: March 13, 2008, 08:41:52 am »

This is an invitation to those who may be interested in learning the gambas programming language.

I've decided to help anyone in the VL community who is willing to learn, to join me and uelsk8s as we begin a program to share knowledge amongs ourselves.

The idea behind this program is to provide live, real-time support for those who wish to learn.
I feel that as easy as gambas is, combined with live, real-time support, anyone could learn the language very quickly.

I do not consider myself a well experienced programmer (or a programmer for that matter). I dont know all the ins and outs of the language myself,  but I do believe that we can help each other and accomplish kool things.

I will volunteer to give interested users the assistance they need to help them in the learning process.

Gambas is really not hard to learn.
If you feel like you'd want to give it a try, Please contact me via a PM and we'll make arrangements for live, real-time support.

PLEASE... let's keep the thread clean... if you dont think this is a good idea, Please DO NOT POST HERE, find your own thread. I think VL needs as many developers as it can get. Otherwise, feel free to post Wink !
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:08:23 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:29 am »

feel free to post
Well ok. I will.

I hope the lack of people posting in this thread is not indicative of the number of PM's you have recieved. I think this is a great idea. Of course a lot of good ideas go by the wayside for lack of attention. So I am going to give this a try. I hope others do too.

My schedual is extremely erratic, so arrangements for live real-time support are not going to work for me. Therefore some questions are in order.

Were you thinking of setting up a live class room type of thing or just contact as arranged between two people? I kind of like the idea of a course type of thing. You know lesson one "Hello World" ... lesson two "something new" that people like me can access when we have time. I imagine there is already something like that available some where.

Which Gambas to use? I see gambas-runtime 1.0.19-i586-1vl59 installed on Vec 5.9. I also see Gambas Gambas2 and Gambas2-runtime packages available. I assume we will be learning Gambas2.

If I install both the gambas2 and gambas2 runtime packages is this all I need to start? Or do I have to download and install something from the Gambas site?

Ignore the above question. Gambas 2 installed and seems to open fine with a menu item under development.

I downloaded the Getting started with Gambas document from sourceforge and I will have a look at the Wikipedia wikibook, although it seems a little dated ("...the current version (February 17th 2005) being 1.0.3. Gambas..."2.4.1 is the latest stable version). And of course I will look at the Gambas wiki. Any other good sources you know of?

I think VL needs as many developers as it can get.
I agree but you might be aiming a little high with me on that front. I have never programed before and although I have a project in mind I have failed to follow through before! I just hope enough people give this a try to stir the pot up a bit and maybe some fresh ideas will float to the top.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:06:21 am »

Well, a couple of people have come and expressed interest in this... so i think every effort is worth a try...

I was thinking a live IRC session would help anyone whenever they need help...
As far as lessons go, I myself have not read that book that you linked to, but I imagine it's gotta be something similar to http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/gambas-beginner-guide.pdf. Except the old guide has gambas1 syntax, which has slightly changed as the language progressed into version 2.0.

Aside from that, I dont know of much more documentation. The gambas community is friendly enough for newcomers to ask just about anything.. Their support relies in the mailing list rather than a forum... so I would suggest signing up (link at the gambas page).

In case you need more help, you can always email me personally, or PM me here, I might be able to assist.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:04:12 pm »

With M0e's Help the first version of VLThemeSwitch is available
Read this thread for more info.
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5884.0
idflux

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 12:57:30 pm »

Has this offer expired?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 01:00:08 pm by idflux » Logged
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 12:44:24 am »

I'm also interested to learn Gambas :-)

registered user #393337

2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ / 4 gb ram / GeForce GT220 / 500 gb HD / VL7 Std

Samsung NP110 / VL7 Std
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:21:50 pm »

I'm interested, also.  Have already installed Gambas2 but, so far, the Beginners Guide is as confusing as man pages Huh  Also, I'm with InTheWoods as far as scheduled time.  (And completely in the dark about RSS, RCI, PM, or  Huh)  Have done light programming in C, I understand this is similar.

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: