VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 02:42:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The Message & The Reality  (Read 3022 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: January 28, 2009, 07:31:19 am »

Edited for content.  See the "Hook up with Zenwalk" thread.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:08:54 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:57 am »

Very entertaining with just enough truth between the sarcasms...
As for the Linux M&R it's only been a recent thread in this forum that suggested anything about sed that I've encountered but in order of hits (for me at least) I'd rank the other 4 as follows: 4, 5, 1, 2. With the VL forum someone does "get back to you on that" and usually very quickly (mirroring the speed of VL).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:23:25 am by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:21 am »

Tom,

here's my review of your post:

The Message: open, inviting, and insightful.
The Reality: painfully hilarious.

Tongue  Grin

- H
~~~
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:47:52 pm by WinDoze » Logged

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:31 am »

Um...  OS/2 isn't dead but it hasn't been called OS/2 in years.  It was sold to Serenity Systems and is called eComStation.  It still has an active if relatively small user community.  eComStation 2.0rc6 was released last month. 

If the OS/2 name had survived the releases would have probably been named:

eComStation 1.0 == OS/2 Warp 5
eComStation 1.1 == OS/2 5.1
eComStation 1.2 == OS/2 5.2
eComStation 2.0 == OS/2 6.0

I don't equate unpopular with dead.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 02:09:02 pm »

Yikes, Caitlyn!

having developed on OS/2, I'd say:

The Reality: undead

Roll Eyes

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 03:06:43 pm »

LOL I think I'll download the demo disk and see how it works... always wanted to see OS/2 running on something other than a bank terminal.
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

Quote from: Lyn
LOL I think I'll download the demo disk and see how it works...

Uhh, that would not be a Live CD, of course.

... OS/2 running on something other than a bank terminal.

AH HA!  Now we know the true cause of the global economic meltdown.

< rimshot >

Cheesy

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 06:09:06 pm »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:09:12 pm by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:59 pm »

Linux
The Message #1:  "RTFM, n00b!!1!"
The Message #2:  "I'm a cute little penguin!"
The Message #3:  "You should read the man page for sed.  It's pretty easy to understand."
The Message #4:  "We're better than Windows, and cheaper than Windows or a Mac."
The Message #5:  "Well, after you partition your hard drive, just put the CD in and ..."

The Reality:

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:14:14 am »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:09:36 pm by tomh38 » Logged

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 11:54:47 am »

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:09:49 pm by tomh38 » Logged

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 03:41:46 pm »

Without a doubt, those pics above are ' Linux Message #2:  "I'm a cute little penguin!" '

metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 10:41:39 pm »

Actually Linux in which we are all involved at some level has brought technology across the digital divide to those who would not have it if it were not for Linux. This aspect of Linux can be seen in Asia with outstanding results and in North America with programs like Computers for Kids program. Run in part by the owner of the servers who give us a first class window for the world to view us. Non of it possible if not for Linux, that includes Vector Linux, the OS of choice for the Reno Lion’s Club who supply the boxes that are loaded up with Vector Linux and given to kids who cannot afford decent technology. This is repeated over and over again.

A village in India had no contact with the outside world other than on foot or a donkey. A team from IIT ( Indian Institute of Technology) set up a router relay to the village and powered it by a bicycle using Linux Technology, that village now has digital communication to the outside world. Every phone call you make you use a Linux Technology. The New York stock exchange is operating on Linux technology. Linux is in a lot of places at lot of folks do not know about the desktop only one of them.

I was involved with a not for profit group recently the “Computer Lending Library”, They wanted to explore Linux for there boxes out on loan to disadvantages kids, they thought it a huge contribution by M$ to have to pay M$ only a $5.00 or $10.00 CND license fee for Windoze 2000 OS ? What could Linux offer ? It all ended up that not  one IT person wanted to get involved as they did not know what to do with a CD that had Linux on it ! I believe the marketing world calls that captive.
That scenario is shameful. So with all the positive attributes of Linux and Vector Linux in particular with the quirks and wonders as an OS is a blessing to technology and the folks using and or creating it all all levels. Thanks to everyone. Messages 1 thru 5 should not be pointing at Linux IMHO !

FWIW
metvas

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 11:05:31 pm »

EFG:  So ... the Terminator/Skynet runs on Linux?  Well, if you can install Linux on a watch or a toaster, why not killer robots from the future?

Nah, I was just kidding. The T-800 runs on NetBSD

But seriously, when the numbers of artificial neurons and interconnects exceed our own ... it will probably be into der ovens for us

Actually Linux in which we are all involved at some level has brought technology across the digital divide to those who would not have it if it were not for Linux. This aspect of Linux can be seen in Asia with outstanding results

It would be interesting to see how many people who have Linux pre-installed aren't just wiping it with pirated copies of Windows. Don't get your hopes up ... I have to admit the forced Red Flag installations were pretty awesome though, not strictly because they replaced Windows with Linux but because coercion was used ... LOL
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:10:28 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 01:15:05 am »

metvas:  Interesting that you should mention the digital divide and Linux.  I have a basement full of PC hardware, almost all of it in good working order.  Some of it people have given to me, a lot of it has been left out in the garbage or sold at a garage sales/yard sales for very little money.  Whenever I have enough stuff for a complete machine, I put it all together into and install VL.  I've been giving these machines to a couple of local schools (one public school which is underfunded because it's funds come mostly from property taxes, and people around here keep voting down tax increases, and one Catholic school which doesn't even have one computer per classroom).  I also do what little tech support they need.  These days kids need to learn how to use a computer from an early age (I would say grade 2 or 3 and up).

EFG
:  I know the computers I put Linux on don't end up with Windows on them.  Also, the principals of those two schools know my stance on software freedom; it doesn't mean a whole lot to them, but they do care about the kids.

Tom

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: