VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Using Packages from final to alpha/betas?  (Read 1537 times)

Windozer

• Vectorite
  • Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.
Using Packages from final to alpha/betas?
« on: January 28, 2009, 04:06:00 pm »

N00B question here ... Not sure if I've dorked something up or not...  I'm going from V6 RC3 to RC4

Generally, should / can we use packages in the repo for a final release, installing them on an alpha or beta test release?

A yes or no's fine for me, if that suffices.

I am assuming that gslapt pulls in dependecies, but how messy is this if the Kernal's changed in between?

(If this deserves a "RTFM"  :o reply, let me know.)

cheers
- H
483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Using Packages from final to alpha/betas?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:41:34 pm »

;D If I'm understanding you correctly, you shouldn't have a problem. While the packages may be aimed at the final release, they are all built against one of the beta/RC releases.

Hopefully, deps should be handled. If not, let the packager know. There have been a few instances where packages have been built against against things that have changed (though I think most of them relate to 5.9 rather than 6.0).

For 6.0, it would be a good idea to limit your use of packages from the gsb repo, since they may pull in a lot of Gnome related dependencies that you don't really need. OpenOffice is a good example - don't pick the one with gsb in the filename...

paul.

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 07:00:07 pm »

Be careful with alsa-driver.  The driver is built against a specific version of the kernel.  You can't mix and match.  Most everything else should work.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:35 pm »

(If this deserves a "RTFM"  :o reply, let me know.)
I don't know that I've ever seen that term or mentality on this forum which is one of many reasons you won't find a better community in the linux world.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

wcs

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 08:24:26 am »

I don't know that I've ever seen that term or mentality on this forum which is one of many reasons you won't find a better community in the linux world.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've never seen RTFM in the forum either...
That's nice.

Windozer

• Vectorite
  • Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:19:22 pm »

thank you all...

and as far as "RTFM" - that was a jest as I was certain too that it had not likely happened here.

Long live this Happy Distro Bunch!

- H
483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer