VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 11:06:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving money with Linux  (Read 1427 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: February 09, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »

I manage a small computer network with a couple dozen XP clients and a Windows 2003 server. The server has a large amount of storage and there are a lot of changes and additions every day. My somewhat paranoid backup system uses a total of nine hard drives which keep the data safe, but makes upgrades quite expensive and labor intensive.

When we were running out of space, I did some digging and found that one of the big space hogs was a legacy image management application that was used only for historical reference and static as far as file changes went. This old-fashioned program and data was neatly self-contained and would happily run straight off a network share. I could have moved this folder to an XP machine, except that the limit of max 9 concurrent connections would be a problem. Adding another Windows 2003 server and access licenses would add up to about $1300 just in software cost.

Fortunately, the Linux backup servers had enough extra space to hold this data. Moved everything over to one, mirrored it on another, shared it via samba, and we were in business. Probably bought us over a year's time before an upgrade is forced. Total cost: $0. Now that's real savings.  Grin

Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:37:52 pm »

Cool solution, Nightflier  Cool

Did you have any other linux boxes in your net besides your backup servers?

Were you running Samba already?

The hidden cost was your time - about how long did it take you to do this?

And retorically: Don't you love apps that are "only for this or that" or, better, discovering a mambo set up that only 2 people use once a month. The two claim of course that their app is "mission critical."  (And, of course, they have the Boss's ear Wink

thanks
- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:42 pm »

I'm using a network of Linux servers to keep records on people in this ... labor program I'm in charge of. Incidentally IBM cut me a good deal on top of that and wages are low, so the $aving$ just keep piling up

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:33:34 am »

I have two Linux servers and a BSD box on the local network, plus another Linux machine at a remote location. Their primary mission is automated backups, but over the years I have found other uses as well, such as running a local web server that displays usage statistics of our public web sites. The office personnel have no indication that all this magic is done by anything besides Windows.

Samba was already installed and configured to give access to log files and to be used for restore purposes. Making a new share and moving the data to it only took a few minutes. More time was spent putting a new shortcut on the desktop of all the clients. A cool geek thing was that I could accomplish almost all of it using ssh and rdesktop from my home computer. Exception was slipping another hard drive (grabbed from the used parts bin) into the remote machine. All in all, I estimate about two hours of work.
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:38 pm »

Amazing, truely amazing.
 Don't let MS see this thread, they'll try like mad to cover this up too Cheesy
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:42 pm »

Quote from: nightflier
... another Windows 2003 server and access licenses would add up to about $1300 just in software cost.

...about two hours of work.

$650 an hour's not too shabby  Cool

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 08:58:47 am »

Yeah I thought a lot about savings when my program started but then I realized I don't want to become like what I'm trying to get rid of

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: