VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 07:44:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Torrent Client for 5.8  (Read 2920 times)
Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« on: January 07, 2009, 09:31:43 pm »

Does anyone know of a reasonable BitTorrent client that will compile and work under VL 5.8 Standard?

I've tried BitTorrent itself, and Transmission, and at least one more I can't recall, but all have run into depencency hell at some stage or other....usually dealing with gnome- or GTK-related libs or programs.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Running: Vector Linux 5.8 Standard   12-16-2006
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:05:48 am »

I used rtorrent for some time without problems (It's a console torrent client) If it's not in the repos you'll be able to compile it without major glitches.

Opera has a torrent client.   Lately I'm using it since I don't need any special feature.

HTH

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:31 pm »

I'd like to point out that VL 5.8 is more than two years old.  We no longer have volunteer packagers running it so no new security updates are being built.  VL 5.8 is full of known security vulnerabilities that remain unpatched.   I would recommend upgrading to a newer release at your earliest convenience.

IMHO both Transmission and Deluge work well.  I haven't tried to build either on VL 5.8.  I believe Transmission is in the repo, though so you can install it with gslapt or slapt-get.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:55 am »

There is bittorrent, rtorrent and transmission here:

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/net/

Check /etc/version-slackware to make sure the version is right,
if you stay with 5.8 you can get most of your patches here:

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-12.0/patches/

That should get the patches for the things that Vector has used from Slackware. The
patches directory in Slackware is current and kept up to date.

Bigpaws
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:53 pm »

Do ***NOT*** use Slackware 12.0 packages with VL 5.8.  That is guaranteed to cause breakage.  VL 5.8 is based on Slackware 11.0.  If you decide to use Slackware packages then ONLY use the ones for 11.0.

In addition I must point out that VL includes a lot of things Slackware doesn't.  A significant number of packages that Slackware does include are rebuilt specifically for VL so full compatability is NOT assured.  In addition Slackware doesn't support dependency checking.  Many newer versions of apps have new dependencies.  If you go with a Slackware package for an update and don't know the dependencies that's another great way to break things.

Bigpaws is a smart guy who gives lots of good advice on this forum.  This time, though, I completely disagree with his advice.  VL isn't Slackware.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:02:42 pm »

I'd like to point out that VL 5.8 is more than two years old.  We no longer have volunteer packagers running it so no new security updates are being built.  VL 5.8 is full of known security vulnerabilities that remain unpatched.   I would recommend upgrading to a newer release at your earliest convenience.

I am aware of issues with 5.8, and I don't mean to be snippy or give any offense, but I have nearly 40 PRODUCTION machines configured for a specific application, and the work to customize, tweek, and install extra software for our purpose has taken well over 3 years, and the work continues to this day.

I have *TRED* upgrades to both 5.9, and 6.0, and to be perfectly frank, they are dead-dog slow on the hardware we're using to the point that simply running a browser is downright painful.   5.9 seems to have potential, but by the time I have everything tuned and installed, I'll be right where I am today with 5.9 'obsolete'.  Yes, I'm also aware of Vector's 'lite' versions and have experimented with them, but our application needs lockdown ability of the XFCE kiosk envoronment, and can't use one of the other more obtuse window managers.   Basically, for us, 5.8 does all it needs to do, and does it very well indeed.   Until a similarly lightweight distro (which is what Vector is all about) appears, or somebody comes up with 40 easily portable, all-in-one machines that can withstand lots of traveling at an affordable price, 5.8 will remain in place.

I would also happily try to submit 5.8 packages of upgraded bits, or new non-packaged applications that I've compiled and installed, but most of our local installs are narrowly targed at our hardware (K6-2 CPUs) and custom stripped-down kernel in order to wring out what speed can be obtained.   I recently built a bog-standard 5.8 boot partition on a development machine with the idea of creating 5.8 packages, since I would very much like to continue to support the Vector community.  However, that effort was sidetracked trying to get 6.0 to work before it became extremely obvious that the newer stuff is just too bloated and slow for us.

I have, and continue to stress, that not everyone has the luxury of just tossing out older machines simply in order to upgrade to the latest/greatest software.   One need only look to the Vista fiasco to see how bad things can be when the OS producers just *assume* you'll just switch.   

Vector's legacy has always been lean/mean/and fast, though I acknowledge that the GNOME and other desktop worlds are seemingly blindly going for bloat rather than the snappy performance which has traditionally been Linux's forte.    Much is what has happened in this regard is clearly *NOT* the fault or conscous decision of Vector folks.

But I would respectfully suggest that, perhaps most importantly, the smaller distro folks take note WHY their offerings are chosen.   In many cases it's because of the fact that not everyone needs, wants, or can even USE the more popular distros.  I've tried Xubuntu, for example, and it faces the same bloat/slowness issues of Vector 6, in fact, it's seeminly worse.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »

It was Vector (the founder of Vector Linux) who decided that VL 5.8 has reached end of life.  Supporting two versions back is very normal for smaller distros and often for larger ones as well.  Fedora, for example, reaches end of life on a version within two years.  VL 5.8 is now 26 months old.

I find your claims of bloat/slowness a little difficult to understand as I have Vector Linux Light 6.0 beta 2 running on a Pentium MMX 233MHz system with 64MB of RAM and performance is acceptable and definitely comparable to VL 5.1 or VL 5.8 on that machine.  I have VL 6.0 Standard on a Toshiba laptop with a 1GHz Celeron processor and 512MB of RAM and, again, I don't see a significant (or really any) degredation in terms of performance.  I have noticed that some apps (notably Gnumeric and AbiWord) have bloated out and require a lot of GNOME deps that they previously didn't need.  That is precisely why I packaged SIAG Office and why I am looking at other lightweight alternatives.

In any case, as of the release of VL 6.0 we will no longer be accepting packages for the VL 5.8 repo.  My instructions from Vector are that a group of ~60 security patches which have now been built are the last packages I should ever accept for VL 5.8.  If you want that to change you will need to discuss it with the core developers, specifically Vector.  I am not a decision maker around here.

I do feel Vector Linux Light is now the lean and mean Vector while Standard is more of a general purpose distro.  I understand that Light doesn't fit your needs which is unfortunate.  If you stick with VL 5.8 you will need to track each of the packages on your machine and build your own security update packages.  Unfortunate, but I don't see a way around it.

Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:18:03 pm »

Do ***NOT*** use Slackware 12.0 packages with VL 5.8.  That is guaranteed to cause breakage.  VL 5.8 is based on Slackware 11.0.  If you decide to use Slackware packages then ONLY use the ones for 11.0.

I actually thought it was based on Slackware 10.  Smiley

I agree with what you say regarding installing Slackware packages directly into VL.  I learned that lession, painfully, early on.  

In addition to the basic problems with the program itself, since those aren't part of Vector repositories, it rather breaks the whole notion of having a package manager for keeping track of what's installed.

Usually, I prefer to just get the raw sources for applications and compile them in the VL environment.  I've had very good luck with that, other than the fact that many newer applications want (as opposed to NEED) newer dependencies.   Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer or developer, so it doesn't take too much to be a roadblock.

That's the reason for my continuing plea to support what can be easily supported in the older versions.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Tigerwolf
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 05:10:12 pm »

There is bittorrent, rtorrent and transmission here:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/net/

Thanks!   Bittorrent requires *NO* dependencies and seems to work.  Rtorrent is Ncurses, so should be OK too, once I fure out the commands it uses.

=^_^=  Tigerwolf

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: