VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:19:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't seem to get lilo installed  (Read 1225 times)
fschmeisser

washed-up rockstar or mad scientist?

« on: February 02, 2009, 04:43:40 pm »

This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm at the end of my wits. Here it goes:

I installed VL5.9 Std XFce on an old IBM Thinkpad 600X, P3 500 MHz, 384 MB RAM. There is a Win 2000 present which I'd like to dual boot with VL. It runs beautifully off the CD once I told it to use the kernel framebuffer, wireless works with WPA, but Lilo didn't install during the regular installation. VL root installed on hda2, /home on hda4
In the forum they say I could boot off the cd into my hd installation, so I edited the line that contained the location of vmlinuz and initrd to hda2 during the cd boot. Still it booted off the cd.
The way I understand it I have to be logged into the hd installation to install lilo, which kinda sounds backwards to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »

it sounds like you are using a livecd.
The problem with lilo is it has to be able to access the kernel and initrd when it is installed.
that is why it is easier to install lilo from the running HD install.
if you boot the livecd and run vliloconf from a root terminal it may work.
fschmeisser

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that!
fschmeisser

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:45 pm »

This ended like my previous attempts in a fatal error. Here's the terminal output:
root:# vliloconf
/sbin/vliloconf: line565: /boot/boot_message.txt: Read-only file system
mkdir: cannot create directory 'boot/tamu': Read-only file system
cp: cannot create regular file '/boot/tamu/vmlinuz-vector-hda2': No such file or directory

There has to be a way to boot into the hda2 installation. And yes, this is a live cd

Also, I found it odd that during the installation it didn't give any feedback. After formatting the target drives and another dialog setting the mount points, when you commit to your choices, all windows disappear, you hear the hard drive whizzing for a while, then a quick window pops up that the system is rebooting a few seconds later the CD ejects. Is that normal?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 01:38:41 pm »

It is not normal that you didnt get any feedback while it was installing.

You are going to have to bind mount your proc and dev partitions and chroot to install lilo from the livecd
Code:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/hda2/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/hda2/proc
chroot /mnt/hda2 /sbin/vliloconf
fschmeisser

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:39:12 am »

Problem solved! Since this was a new install I saw no downside to reinstalling,
This time I downloaded the standard cd with text install, burned and installed VL without a hitch. Thanks for all your help!
Now would be a good time to look at the cheat sheet and get comfortable with the command line Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: