VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 11:58:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: compile error with vpackager  (Read 4735 times)
fox

« on: February 01, 2009, 03:39:29 pm »

Using VL 6RC4, trying to install from source the statistical package, R (version 2.8.1.tar.gz), I got the following error message:
     configure: error: No F77 compiler found
     FAILED
What's missing?  What is my next step?

Thanks!

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:47:10 pm »

I think you need the gcc-fortran compiler in order to build R.
You can install it using gslapt or in a console as root:

Code:
slapt-get -i gcc-gfortran

The configure script checks the availability in your system of all the required libraries and anything needed for building the software.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 03:49:09 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:43:58 pm »

An R package for VL6 has already been built by kc1di.  It will be in the testing repository by tomorrow.  Unless you're building the package as an educational exercise you might just want to wait until tomorrow, enable the testing repository in gslapt or /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc and install with either gslapt or slapt-get.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 04:44:32 pm »

fox, one of our packagers has packaged R and it will get the testing repo in few hours/days.

if your R compilation does not go well (I had some troubles with it), in no time you'll be able to slapt-get --install  R

btw, welcome to vl.

-----EDIT-----
Caitlyn 1 - kidd 0  That was really close! (about 30 seconds)  Wink
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 04:46:58 pm by kidd » Logged

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »

Using VL 6RC4, trying to install from source the statistical package, R (version 2.8.1.tar.gz), I got the following error message:
     configure: error: No F77 compiler found
     FAILED
What's missing?  What is my next step?

Thanks!

Hi Fox,

I packaged the R- 2.8.1 and got the same error.  your Missing the gcc-Fortran package it will need to be installed as its a dependency of R-2.8.1.  The Package I made should show up in the Testing Repository in a couple of days.
If you want to package it yourself just go to gslapt and do a search for F77 gcc-fortran or something close to that will come up, install that and Then R-2.8.1. should install for you.
Cheers!
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
fox

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:03:44 am »

Thank you all for your responses.  In order to learn how vlpackager works, I went ahead and installed gcc-fortran and then compiled.  It appears to have worked this time; at least there were no reported errors.  However, when I type R in a terminal, the program doesn't start.  There is no indication in the menu that the program was installed and a review of the compiling process suggests that whatever was done is still sitting in /tmp.  Does this mean there is something else I have to do to complete the process?  I did save the vlpackager script and can post it if that would be helpful and someone can tell me how to attach a text file (none of the message buttons seem to relate to attaching a file).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:24:49 am by fox » Logged

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:01:33 am »

vpackager should've created a .tlz file which will need to be installed with installpkg (unless the later versions do that step as well)

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
fox

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:58:47 am »

Can you provide details as to how I install this .tlz package?  Where would I find it?

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 06:26:45 am »

Can you provide details as to how I install this .tlz package?  Where would I find it?

I haven't use Vpackager much so don't know exactly where the file may be .  But find the directory it created the .tzl file in

there are two ways that should work.

one you can right click on the file >scroll down the menu presented and there should be an option to install package. or 2nd way. in a terminal cd to the folder the package is in and install it with the command
installpkg   "packagename"  (substitute the actual filename for package name without the quotes"

Also there will be no menu entry for R since it is strictly a command line app. you will have to run it from the command line in the terminal.

Good Luck,
Dave
P.S working on RKward but it may be a few days until I can get to it as I have a load of work on my desk at the moment.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
fox

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:36:13 pm »

I apologize for the dumb question I'm about to ask, but how do you search for a tlz file in VL?  There doesn't seem to be a search command in Thunnar. 

Under /tmp/vpackager-builds, there is a folder called R-2.8.1, but there are a lot of files and folders in it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 09:45:21 pm by fox » Logged

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »

I apologize for the dumb question I'm about to ask, but how do you search for a tlz file in VL?  There doesn't seem to be a search command in Thunnar. 

Under /tmp/vpackager-builds, there is a folder called R-2.8.1, but there are a lot of files and folders in it.

Searching is almost instantaneous if you su to root and in a terminal type
updatedb

That will create an index of all the files on mounted partitions. Once the database is built, as user type
locate *.tlz
at a terminal prompt and you'll get a list of all the tlz files on your system.

If you don't have cron set up to run updatedb daily or whatever, run it every week or so yourself.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
fox

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 04:45:13 am »

Thanks, GrannyGeek.  The command worked, but it appears that there is no .tlz file related to R.  I guess that means it didn't compile with vpackager.  Even if it had, I don't see any advantage to using vpackager over the more traditional 3-command way to compile and install a file if vpackager doesn't automatically install the program in an appropriate place.

I know that R is now available as a VL binary, but before I give in and get it that way, I will at least try to compile it from source code the old way.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:47 am »

Thanks, GrannyGeek.  The command worked, but it appears that there is no .tlz file related to R.  I guess that means it didn't compile with vpackager.  Even if it had, I don't see any advantage to using vpackager over the more traditional 3-command way to compile and install a file if vpackager doesn't automatically install the program in an appropriate place.

vpackager just builds the file.  pkgtools automatically installs it in the proper place.  The main advantage of using a VL style package rather than ./configure && make && make install is version control and the ability to grab an upgrade from the repo if it becomes available.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 05:06:20 pm »

Another option to vpackager is sbbuilder. Check this thread out for more information: forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7886.0;topicseen.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 05:49:16 pm »

If you build a package using sbbuilder, editing the resulting SlackBuild to create a proper slack-desc file and any special configuration options that are needed, you build a package suitable for contribution to the Vector Linux repository.  Grin

The R package is in the testing repository now.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: