VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:22:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: compile error with vpackager  (Read 5425 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 06:08:04 pm »

[...] However, when I type R in a terminal, the program doesn't start.  There is no indication in the menu that the program was installed and a review of the compiling process suggests that whatever was done is still sitting in /tmp.  Does this mean there is something else I have to do to complete the process?  [...]

Hi Fox,

re you're manual compile attempts  --- take this with a grain of linux-salt as I'm still a N00B trying to do more compiling myself...

I read this entire thread, but am not clear if you tried the straight Fortran compile before the vpacker method was mentioned here? Did you use the make file that came with R? "No indication in the menu" implies to me that you (understandably) expected the executable to show up in the task launcher "menu" ... but the executable could have ended up in /tmp (depending on how you did this) ... sorry I don't have my R stuff where I'm at now to review the files. 

It's been a while, but - please correct me folks, if this is wrong - doesn't a manual compile often output an executable that (ironically) has to have its permissions changed to "execute" before it can be executed? Once that's done, then wouldn't these be the lines to fire it up, since /tmp is not normally in the PATH environment?:

Code:
cd /tmp
./R

#or maybe even this:

./R.o

#
# And for the hapless non-case sensitive Windows users comming to Linux, there's this fun bit:
#

./r

Is this way off track ? (sorry, again, it's been a while since I did this.)

cheers,
- Howard

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 06:11:54 pm »

vpackager is just a graphical front end to the normal build process.  The error fox got he'd have gotten either way.  If you want to compile a Fortran program you need to have a Fortran compiler installed.  We have one in the repo but don't install it by default.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 06:36:24 pm »

Yes, actually I knew it was Fortran before trying to compile - and still had to jump through some odd hoops to get it to run at all... again, sorry, it's been a while, but I do recall having to set the permissions and fiddle with the PATH for it to work.

cheers

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
fox

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »

Now you lost me, caitlyn.  Are you saying that my attempt with vpackager didn't work because I don't have Fortran, or the right Fortran installed.  After I got the original 777 error, I followed rbistolfi's instructions, got what I thought was the compiler and ran it again.  As far as I could tell, there was no error message, but no .tlz file either.  As I noted earlier, there is a folder under /tmp/vpackager-builds, called R-2.8.1 with a lot of files and folders in it. That and the lack of an error message suggests that I was successful, but the absence of a .tlz file and R not starting from a Terminal (I tried from su as well) suggests I wasn't.

I'm going to trash that folder and start over again.  How do I use pkgtools to install the file (i.e., what command do I issue and do I have to be in a certain directory to make it work)?

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 07:55:18 pm »

I have no idea why you didn't get an actual package (.tlz file) but I have to assume vpackager failed with an error.  The Fortran response was explaining to Windoze what happened.

The command to install the completed package, run as root only, is:

installpkg <package>

You must be in the directory where the package is located or else provide a full path to the package.

That's it!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 11:40:11 pm »

Hi fox:
I had a similar problem with RC3, actually not similar the same.  My program was WxCam but after vpackager went through everything and seemed to complete without error, there was no .tlz package to be found.  I made a post in the RC4 feedback and bug reports.  Maybe someone who has had successful experiences with vpackager can see if they can duplicate that experience within RC4.  Me, I think it's a bug. 

Here's the link to my post http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=8309.msg57135#msg57135, requesting someone to confirm the problem.

So far no takers though.

Oh, and, welcome to Vector Linux. 

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
fox

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 03:28:20 am »

It seems I am having the same problem as stretchedthin.  I redid the process, with the same result, and I don't see an error in the log.  I have attached the log this time; I'm hoping on of you can tell me what's wrong.  Thanks.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 06:52:22 am »

I just read your log and ran vpackager here.
There are some major differences between your log and mine.
after the line: ****  + Create installable package ****
you only have: ****  + Process complete ****

mine goes on to ****  + Appending and inserting description file into package ... ****
where I think yours failed.
then I get output from makeslapt and a pkg in /tmp/vpackager-builds/desktop-file-utils-0.15/build/PKG/desktop-file-utils-0.15-i586-1vl60.tlz

Did you add a description when you started the build?
fox

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:18 am »

No, I didn't add a description.  Was I supposed to?  What should I have added?

I did notice after Process Complete, that there was no return of the cursor to my control.  Is that normal in vpackager?

One other question.  There are two other boxes at the beginning, for version of VL and type of computer.  The version default was 5.9, and I left that for the first run.  I changed it to version 6 for the second run.  For computer, I chose i586 the first time and i686 the second.  Does any of that matter?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:12:24 am by fox » Logged

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 10:14:46 am »

No, I didn't add a description.  Was I supposed to?  What should I have added?

I did notice after Process Complete, that there was no return of the cursor to my control.  Is that normal in vpackager?

One other question.  There are two other boxes at the beginning, for version of VL and type of computer.  The version default was 5.9, and I left that for the first run.  I changed it to version 6 for the second run.  For computer, I chose i586 the first time and i686 the second.  Does any of that matter?
You will need to add a description or this version of vpackager will not finish.
you can either use an existing slack-desc file or just type in a couple lines describing the package.

the rest does not really matter, it is better to make vl60 packages for vl60 though
fox

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:29 pm »

It seems that the missing descriptor was the problem because when I added it, the packaging was successful.  Then, following caitlyn's instruction for using installpkg, I got R to install and start up.  Unfortunately, R isn't automatically added to the menu, but I think I can do that manually. Thanks everyone for all the help. I have no prior experience with vpackager or anything like it, so learning how to use it is a confidence-builder.  On to trying more new things in VL!  Wink

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 05:41:48 pm »

Glad to hear you succeeded.  The contents of the menu are determined by .desktop files located in /usr/share/applications  If you follow the format there for another application you should be able to create a file called R.desktop.  Then R will be in your menu.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 06:26:58 pm »

I'm glad you got it to work as well.  Think I'll go back and see what mistakes I might have made.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
fox

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 08:08:39 pm »

Thanks, caitlyn for that menu tip; another learning experience.  I got R on the menu and even got its logo as an icon.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: