VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 02:05:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for rkward  (Read 2105 times)
fox

« on: February 02, 2009, 04:20:50 am »

I would like to request that rkward, a GUI frontend to the statistical package, R, be packaged in VL6.  I understand that this requires some KDE libs and I'm not desperate to have rkward available "yesterday", but I just wanted to get the request out there.

Thanks!

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Intel iMac 2.16ghz C2D; Mac mini 1.83ghz C2D
MSI Wind U100, 2ghz RAM, 80gb HD, Gigabyte atheros wireless
PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:18:01 am »

I would like to request that rkward, a GUI frontend to the statistical package, R, be packaged in VL6.  I understand that this requires some KDE libs and I'm not desperate to have rkward available "yesterday", but I just wanted to get the request out there.

Thanks!

I'm Working on this one , but may be a few days til I can get too it.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 10:06:46 am »

rkward is a bit messy for a number of reasons...

The main one is that development was somewhat stalled, and it wouldn't compile against R 2.8 .
From what I read, it required a small patch to work, but I don't know if there have been enough tests and I don't think a new version of rkward came out after R 2.8 was released.

The second problem is that there were two versions: one for kde3 (rkward 0.4.9a) and one for kde4 (0.5.0b).
I reckon it would be best to package the kde3 version, but at the moment the webpage only has 0.5.0b.

It might just work fine against R 2.8 when that patch is applied. I've even seen a report where rkward was compiled against R 2.7 and then worked fine when R was upgraded to 2.8.
But there might be stability problems, and rkward has never really been that stable anyway.

Anyway, feel free to go ahead, kc1di.
But if you want, I still have the rkward source for kde3 and the build script, so I can also do it. Perhaps we could have both versions of R.... I could compile against R 2.7 (which I can also submit to the repo) and then it would be up to the user to upgrade R, if they wanted to.

Not sure what's the best course of action, or if we even have the kde4 libs in the repo.
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:25:46 am »

Hi WCS,

Go Ahead sounds like your further ahead than me.. I had just quickly looked at the web page and had not even downloaded the source code yet.  I'm very busy at work this week also.
I think it would be a good Idea to have them both in the repo.  I notice that there was no word on a frontend for 2.8 but just have not had the opportunity to look any further at this point.

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:55:42 am »

Perhaps we could have both versions of R.... I could compile against R 2.7 (which I can also submit to the repo) and then it would be up to the user to upgrade R, if they wanted to.

That would be problematic.  The repository maintenance scripts shuffle older versions of packages to the old section of the repository.  If you wanted to build an older version you'd have to give the package a different name.  Just R won't do.  Something like R27 would work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:32:29 pm »

That would be problematic.  The repository maintenance scripts shuffle older versions of packages to the old section of the repository.  If you wanted to build an older version you'd have to give the package a different name.  Just R won't do.  Something like R27 would work.

I see...
It's a bit silly to put an older version there, especially when the new one is already in the repo.
I'm not sure if rkward will compile against 2.8, though. At least, not without this patch that I think was never properly released.

Accept my apologies, but I won't be looking at it now, as I'm in the middle of something big until the end of the month.

But I will definitely compile it after that, because I need rkward as well.
fox

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:03:23 pm »

I just attempted to compile rkward (0.4.9a) myself, but ran into a problem.  I described it in another post here.

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
fox

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 03:45:33 am »

There has been a recent release of rkward, version 0.5c, that should work with the current version of R in the repo; at least it does in Ubuntu.  I would love to do this myself and believe me, I have tried.  I just don't have the experience to overcome the various vpackager errors that seem to crop up.  Any chance that one of you will get to this?  The location of the updated rkward is here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:48:17 am by fox » Logged

PowerBook G4/1.33 15" Al
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: