VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 04:39:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spread the word  (Read 8235 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:06:16 am »

lm8:

Thanks for letting me know about that.  I had no idea it existed.  This is going to make things a lot easier for me.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 01:45:46 am »

Hans Bricker has a review of VL 6 RC 4 on this site:

http://hansbrickersnonrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/

It's not the top entry anymore, but he's going to revise and repost when Final comes out.  Also, he's got one of those badges (we don't need no stinkin' badges!) on the site, linking to the main VL site.

I helped him work on the review a bit.  It's pretty positive.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »

the word should be spread on all linux community websites. VL has some original ideas that will make it stand out of the crowd. These ideas have to somewhat be turned into visual things that people remember.

how do you turn these ideas into more visual ones?
Vector is fast- optimised slackware (a rocket?)
vector has a tool simular to portage,it can use scripts (a squid?)
Its easy to compile packages under vector (squid with a wrench?)
vector is easy to use,easy to install,works outof the box (the alien squid from the shuttle/rocket is holding some baloons?)

what are the ideas you think fit vector as a distro and make it stand out.What are the images you see and how can they relate to its logo?

I think that it still lacks a mascot,which is a pitty. That way its character is not as memorable as it should be and it doesnt give enough material to challenge artsy people's imagination to create media for it.

gentoo had a cow,so people remembered it.There were numerous images of cows
mepis-piramids
zenwalk-dolphins/a dolphin
Ubuntu is smart-they change the dang thing with each release.
suse- a greedy green lizard...

how about vector. What is vector's official mascot? What does it symbolise? Save the planet? Even if i want to draw something for vector,i dont have much room to come up with stuff. A planet is not something that would generate any variety of cool and interesting images.
But its logo does call some associations- the idea of travelling in space,or around earth's orbit. That leaves me with a rocket or a shuttle..maybe some guys in space suits or aliens?..Its still a  stretch from that logo.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:57:45 pm by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
metvas
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 02:03:56 pm »

Hi:
Only have a minute right now will post more later. As for images we have the badges Moe has worked on so well. As for names we have had several. v6.0 is right now GUIGNU NeXGeN- Vector Linux v6.0 Deluxe edition. I have been trying the greening theme for some time and think that this is the road to follow.
Regards
Darrell

Knowledge is Power, share it.
Be the change you want to see in the World
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 11:13:05 pm »

If it helps to understand what he's saying, it's rather simple :
The planet behind the V is to say that VL is planet friendly (green) , since it works on many old computers, saving the earth because they are not being thrown away , filling up landfills.

Hopefully this helps clear some things up for blurymind , it's not a space thing, it's an earth thing. Something to work with.
And as for a mascot, nobody liked the "Prune Guy", nor the "User Friendly Guy" , so I think we're out of any mascot until somethin comes along. Maybe you'll come up with something.
 Staples already took the "Easy Button"  Cheesy

Way to go M0E on those badge images you have worked on so well  Grin
It's ok metvas  Cool , too big of a hurry there  Smiley
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 10:09:22 pm »

We just released version 6.0 final please let all your favorite linux sites know the news. This is a great release and deserves all the exposure we can get!!!

Thanks,
Vec
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: