VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 07:03:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 Will Come In Six Different Versions  (Read 2177 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: February 04, 2009, 07:20:14 am »

There's an article about the various versions of Windows 7 that Microsoft is planning to release here:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246562/windows-7-to-come-in-six-flavours.html

Some friends of mine have installed the public beta of Windows 7.  They're saying good things about it;  everybody except one malcontent thinks that it's going to be an improvement over Vista, which in my mind is what new releases are for.  I thought that the multiple versions of Vista was a good idea.  We're seeing different builds for different needs.  VL does this along with some other Linux distributions.  One obvious example is Ubuntu.

The article calls the different versions "flavours."  I'm kind of hoping they'll have razzle-dazzleberry.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:28:44 am »

A bit offtopic:

I have not tried most of *buntu flavours.  Are they really different flavours or just ubuntu - gnome + (Put your favourite desktop)   ?

Do they focus on different users with different approaches or just for the following situations:

- I want linux without that systray on top.
- What? linux? there are lots of linux distros.
- Mmmm.., yeah whatever. I want that linux, you know, not the one with brown wallpaper, I want the blue, without the second systray.
- Get kubuntu.
- Oh, thanks. N0W 1 caN WrlT3 l1k3 th1s Smiley
- Forget me....

I have the feeling that except ubuntu server edition, most *buntu variants are just ubuntu's makeups.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:34:43 am »

Remember, that's still very weak compared to Baskin-Robbins, with its dizzying array of 31 flavors.

EDIT - it looks like the six SKU's are merely degrees of crippleware. The first one, which can run only three applications concurrently, is even more of an insult than the discount variant of XP they tried to hawk in Thailand (that one ran all of four applications).

That being said, I'll bet you can turn Starter into Ultimate through Registry settings.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:47:07 am by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:41:13 am »

kidd:

My first answer is that I really don't know since the only *buntu I've tried is Xubuntu.  I was doing a comparison of various Xfce-based distributions just to see what they were like.  It didn't have the graphical tools that come with VL, so that was a little underwhelming.  In order to add a partition to be mounted at boot time you need to edit fstab, which normally wouldn't be a problem, except they're using some version of fstab that requires a UUID for each partition.  I didn't feel like spending too much time on that, so I wiped it.

My second answer is that I think you're probably right, with the possible exception of Edubuntu, which according to their web site is specially customized for educational purposes.  My guess is that means software for schools comes with the install, but I don't know for sure, since I've never tried it.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:47 am »

Starter Edition: A lightweight version for netbook computers, that will only be capable of running three applications concurrently. It will lack the vast majority of the advanced features, such as Media Center and touchscreen support, but will include the new Taskbar and Home Group feature.
Our VL Light can smoke that on a PIII @ 700mhz

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:12 am »

Our VL Light can smoke that on a PIII @ 700mhz

Yeah, but does it run on Linux?

Sorry, I used to spend a lot of time on Slashdot.  Too much time apparently.

On a serious note, I think Linux is a pretty clear better option for netbooks.  If Windows 7 Starter Edition will only let you run three applications concurrently (I suppose we'll have to see if things really turn out that way) then VL Light would be a much better option.  For that matter, just about any Linux distribution, properly configured, would be a better option.  I'm really not sure why somebody would want Media Center support on a netbook.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:17:01 am by tomh38 » Logged

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:33:27 am »

Remember, that's still very weak compared to Baskin-Robbins, with its dizzying array of 31 flavors.

EDIT - it looks like the six SKU's are merely degrees of crippleware. The first one, which can run only three applications concurrently, is even more of an insult than the discount variant of XP they tried to hawk in Thailand (that one ran all of four applications).

That being said, I'll bet you can turn Starter into Ultimate through Registry settings.

Looks like Diana to me. Hope she succeeds!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:27:37 am »

Who's Diana?

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 12:58:42 pm »

Who's Diana?
aka Artemis

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 01:08:17 pm »

EFG:

I'm sort of curious about something.  Why is your sig so gigantic?

I'm not criticizing you since my sig is probably one of the most depressing ones on here.  So I have no room to criticize anybody's sig.  I'm just wondering.

Tom

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 01:23:03 pm »

Wait

Are you talking about my statue pic?

That's Rama

He's a dude

I can't blame you for the mistake, as this statue was executed in a lovingly detailed Neoclassical style, plus the ideal man in Indian legends appears to be somewhat feminized, but it stands near the banks of the Ganges and definitely represents a guy

Here's the full picture

EFG:

I'm sort of curious about something.  Why is your sig so gigantic?

I'm not criticizing you since my sig is probably one of the most depressing ones on here.  So I have no room to criticize anybody's sig.  I'm just wondering.

Tom

I had to change it so I figured, if I have to forfeit one thing, I'll take liberty with something else

So my sig now refers to the restorative abilities of the 'preserver' aspect of the Trimurti ... "We will return, to preserve dharma"

The antecedent of 'we', and how this Partei party intends to preserve dharma, one can figure out for himself
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:42:41 pm by Epic Fail Guy » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: