VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Lost Window Manager  (Read 1731 times)

StrayBit

• Vectorite
Lost Window Manager
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »

When I switched back to 5.9 Gold from 6.0-RC4, It gave a message about my saved session was lost.  Just logging in brought me back to the loggin prompt, so I selected xfce4. It gave me a different screen than I was used to - black with different icons and NO Menu - rather than the granite cliff, a button to minimize all windows, and a Menu.  How do I get my screen back?

This may have also happened on my other machine.  I was able to get the other users back be changing their passwords but this hasn't worked for me.

Also, where is that Granite Cliff picture located?  I wan to save it and put it in my 6.0 setup.
Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Lost Window Manager
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 07:33:07 am »

When I switched back to 5.9 Gold from 6.0-RC4, It gave a message about my saved session was lost.  Just logging in brought me back to the loggin prompt, so I selected xfce4. It gave me a different screen than I was used to - black with different icons and NO Menu - rather than the granite cliff, a button to minimize all windows, and a Menu.  How do I get my screen back?

Sounds as though you used the same user for both 5.9 and 6.0? Not a good idea if that is what you have done. While I have Zenwalk 5.4 beta, Vector 5.9 Gold and Vector 6.0 RC4 on this machine, sharing a /home partition, I always maintain seperate users for each distribution/version.

That said, you may be able to get things back to normal by copying the content of /etc/skel to your home directory. I'd make a backup your home directory first though....

This may have also happened on my other machine.  I was able to get the other users back be changing their passwords but this hasn't worked for me.

That doesn't sound like the same problem, though I guess its possible.

Also, where is that Granite Cliff picture located?  I wan to save it and put it in my 6.0 setup.

Have a look here: /usr/share/wallpapers/VL-rockface.jpg. I think that is probably what you want.

paul.