VectorLinux
August 19, 2014, 10:30:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: xmame on VL-Light5.9  (Read 2879 times)
root

« on: February 07, 2009, 07:41:06 am »

Hey guys , i'v just downloaded xmame-0.103.tar.bz2 and after extracting it in a folder , i don't really know from where to run the game , when i try ''xmame'' or ''xmame-0.103'' in console command is not found , any ideas from where can i start the game ? or this wont work for VL-Light_5.9 ?

Thanks .

minimal monster
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 01:49:56 pm »

Look in the folder for a README file. You probably need to compile the program.
root

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:07:47 am »

Thanks for the reply nightflier , i checked the README file and yes i have to compile it , but this will be bit of a problem since i don't really know how to do this , but tonight i got some time and i'll search for some info abour this .

Cheers , Junior .

minimal monster
root

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 12:58:16 pm »

Ok , so i've manage to install the game by ''make install'' , but can't start it now  Huh , can't find icon either ''xmame'' works in terminal , any ideas how can i run the game ?

minimal monster
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:56:45 am »

I haven't actually gotten mame to work, just too many other things going on. From what I understand, no matter what version you're using, it seems that you can't just set up a directory with your roms and launch the app. I'm fairly certain - at least to get things started - you need to have a rom image somewhere in the / directory. Then you should be able to configure it. (I get this impression from a successful I once did and when I ran it - forgot which version - it complained about not finding some particular roms.) Try the readme files again and see if you overlooked something.

john
root

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:48:01 am »

I haven't actually gotten mame to work, just too many other things going on. From what I understand, no matter what version you're using, it seems that you can't just set up a directory with your roms and launch the app. I'm fairly certain - at least to get things started - you need to have a rom image somewhere in the / directory. Then you should be able to configure it. (I get this impression from a successful I once did and when I ran it - forgot which version - it complained about not finding some particular roms.) Try the readme files again and see if you overlooked something.

john

Hey John , thanks for the tip . I actually didnt't have any time to deal with this , but i got this week off from work so i'll see what i can do about it  Smiley

minimal monster
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:27:44 pm »

If I remember correctly, after installing xmame, if you have a rom file (which is a compressed game file for xmame or mame), put it in either the system rom directory (which I think is at /usr/share/xmame/rom) or put it in your home directory in the hidden file of xmame (/home/user/.xmame/rom).  The former can be played by any user on the system, while the latter can only be played by the specific user.  To run, enter the command "xmame game" (IE, "xmame robotron" if you have that rom).

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: