VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:38:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9.1 Soho Video  (Read 1223 times)
tncanuck

« on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:15 pm »

I need help from the good people of the forum. I need access to the Text mode command line under VL 5.9.1 SOHO. I decided to give it a whirl, following a successful install of VL 5.9 Standard Gold on a different box.

My video card is a nvidia GeForce2 GTS, that was tagged as OLD during the install. I tried to "login as root and run vxconf when it asks what driver you want to use choose expert" as per forum post. Trying the different options changed nothing to my "hour glass" screen I am looking at now.

I am trying to install nvidia Linux Display Driver - IA32 Version: 1.0-7184. This driver worked on the same system, different hard disk running PCLinuxOS 2007. I have downloaded the driver from nvidia, and tried following their instructions to install it, using Konsole. I was then informed that it could not be done while X server was running.

Looking in the Vector Docs on my system at: file:///usr/doc/VLHelpCenter/manuals/index.html

Under: System administration with VASM
5. Switching to Text Mode: "If you are running in GUI mode, Log out of it, then
If you are presented with a GUI login, ... Press Ctrl+Alt+F1, login as root, and type "init 2". The system will shutdown the X server."

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 nothing happens. The keyboard works as I am typing on it now.

On my previous install of 5.9 Standard Gold (different machine, Video card was nvidia GeForce MX400) everything was detected, drivers installed and it worked fine. I don't know why things went wrong this time. I don't believe I am running nvidia driver now, as I do not see the nvidia splash screen during boot up.

I am getting a little wordy so I will save the rest of my problems for another post. (dual boot install with Windows Me, having to boot VL with CD since bootpart is not supported under Win Me, could only find instructions in the forum regarding dual boot with XP)

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:16:47 pm »

Hey tncanuck:

I can't tell you why your mentiioned method is not working but you could try this.
Open the vasm control center. Choose xwindow, then select bootmode.
Then choose #2. Text user interface desktop.

Then the next time you boot it will be into text mode.
Enter your user name and password. To sign in. Then of course su and your password and from there you should be able to install your nvidia driver from wherever you have it saved.

Sorry, I can't help you with the windows ME question. I just use vliloconf for XP.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
tncanuck

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 01:19:00 pm »

Hey stretchedthin

I did open the vasm control center. Choose xwindow, then select bootmode.
Then choose #2. Text user interface desktop.

Then the next time you boot it will be into text mode.
Enter your user name and password. To sign in.  I signed in as root. Installed the nvidia driver, but it failed, could not rebuilt the kernel, or could not find it. I ran Vasm so I could at least bailout to graphical mode, let it run through everything checked, chose vxconv expert with the 71xx driver I was after. I had success I now get teh nvidia splash at boot and I am back on my feet... well sorta.

Is there a way to repair lilo? Mine is currently on the boot sector, i.e. on the partition on which I have installed VL. I currently have to boot using the cd, and it works. If I just turn on the PC, I end up in Windoze. I would like to be able to dual boot with Windows Me, already installed on the hard disk, without loosing it.

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
tncanuck

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 04:04:02 pm »

Problem solved.

I did some digging on the internet and came across GAG, the Graphical Boot Manager. Current version: 4.10. For those interested it is open source. Very easy to set up. I now have a PC that will boot Windows Millenium Edition and Vector Linux 5.9.1 Soho. The trick installing VL was to specify installing LILO to the SECTOR (same partition where VL is installed) instead of to MBR. I did have to remove the Windows entry in LILO boot menu. The first time around I did not and the installation failed.

tncanuck

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:18:31 am »

Good work tncanuck, I will look into GAG, sounds interesting. 

Glad things worked out.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:59:04 pm »

Is there a way to repair lilo? Mine is currently on the boot sector, i.e. on the partition on which I have installed VL. I currently have to boot using the cd, and it works. If I just turn on the PC, I end up in Windoze. I would like to be able to dual boot with Windows Me, already installed on the hard disk, without loosing it.

tncanuck

You can use the installation CD to repair lilo.
ro
Make sure that your [etc/lilo.conf] is correct, if not, fix it ,then run
Code:
lilo -v
and watch for any errors, if any. If no errors then you simply reboot and your lilo should be good
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: