VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 08:01:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5.9 installpkg is broke (solved)  (Read 1520 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: February 22, 2009, 06:30:30 pm »

On Feb 16 I put a note in the Office and Printing to the effect that lyx would occasionally run very slow on my 5.9 system (by the way, am excited about 6.0 and have ordered the cds).  Since lyx relies heavily on qt4 I decided to reinstall that.  Got pkgtools error on the uninstall part but sadly it uninstalled qt4 anyway, so lyx quit altogether. Tried to install qt4 and got pkgtools error again. So tried to reinstall pkgtools and it gave pkgtools error but it, again sadly, uninstalled pkgtools and now won't reinstall it.

So from slapt-get did update. No help.  Then upgrade which errored out when it tried to install the upgraded packages (something like installpkg command not found). So it would not upgrade anything.

Any suggestions for an easy fix?

John
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 07:14:28 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:26:55 pm »

Hi, John,

Make sure you have the patches repository enabled.  That isn't automatic in 5.9 and yes, that was a bug.  You need to have patches, packages, and extra enabled.  Then try again.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 09:08:01 pm »

Caitlyn,  Thanks for the tip.  Didn't work though.  Tried to install pkgtools and got the pktgools error.  Same with qt4. Or any other program I try to download with gslapt.

I did try slapt-get autoclean the other day in an attempt to fix the lyx problem.  That is likely behind my current problem.

Never_stop_learning, the guy who gave me my nickname, is likely not to have much sympathy with me here.  To minimize the possibility that he will see this thread, I have temporarily disabled both him and his computer.

John

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52:32 pm »

you need to get 2 packages:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/base/lzma-4.32.0beta3-i586-1vl60.tgz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/packages/base/pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.4-i586-1vl60.tgz
copy them to / and then run the following commands:
Code:
cd /
tar xvf lzma-4.32.0beta3-i586-1vl60.tgz
sh install/doinst.sh
rm -rf install
tar xvf pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.4-i586-1vl60.tgz
sh install/doinst.sh
rm -rf install
installpkg *tgz

then you can safely remove those 2 packages, or save them for next time  Wink
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:13:57 am »

THANKS uelsk8s!

It worked and so now does my beloved lyx!  I will post here too if it happened to also have fixed the problem with lyx occasionally and radically slowing down.

John

p.s.

For what its worth, here is the install result.  After following your instruction, I got a couple of errors (perhaps because I am still using 5.9) which I pass along as a matter of interest only.  It works fine!

root:# installpkg *tgz

.-----.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| 1/2 | Installing lzma-4.32.0beta3-i586-1vl60.tgz                            |
'-----'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| LZMA utils (compression utilities with gzip-like interface)                 |
|                                                                             |
| LZMA provides very high compression ratio and fast decompression.           |
| The core of the LZMA utils is Igor Pavlov's LZMA SDK containing             |
| the actual LZMA encoder/decoder. LZMA utils add a few scripts               |
| which provide gzip-like command line interface and a couple of              |
| other LZMA related tools.                                                   |
| LZMA utils is required to support LZMA compressed .tlz packages.            |
| http://tukaani.org/lzma/ - http://7-zip.org/sdk.html                        |
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'

/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libQtCore.so.4 (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libQtGui.so.4 (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/i386-slackware-linux/lib (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnulibc1/lib (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/i386-slackware-linux-gnuaout/lib (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/openwin/lib (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /opt/qt4/lib (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4 (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4 (No such file or directory), skipping
/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't open /lib/libdl.so.1 (No such file or directory), skipping
Executing install script for lzma-4.32.0beta3-i586-1vl60...

.-----.-----------------------------------------------------------------------.
| 2/2 | Installing pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.4-i586-1vl60.tgz                      |
'-----'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'
WARNING: Package has no description.
Executing install script for pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.4-i586-1vl60...

vector://
root:#

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: