VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 12:49:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Vectorphile here!  (Read 1967 times)
amigaman

« on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:09 pm »

IS that even a word?  It should be around this place...  ANYway

I suppose I oughta introduce myself.  Smiley   My name's Stan, and I have been using various forms of *nix at work, school and home for God only knows how many years.  I've recently tried to make a go of DreamLinux, but it didn't like my new hardware.  So I found one that did.  Vector 6.0 Grin

My old and new systems are pretty much the same, just with a change of a dead MB.  Went from an MSI KM2M to a PCChips M848A.  What I had that DL didn't like is a Walkman and Pinnacle HD Pro PCTV USB stick.  I'm glad to say Vector instnatly recognized the Walkman, and my EasyShare C875.  Now if I can just get TV-time compiled and my Pinnacle configured, I'm good to go Smiley

Oh, and it no longer auto-mounts my eth0 drivers like it used to yesterday.  I can't rememebr exactly what I did.  Minor annoyances to be solved Cheesy

I plan on staying with Vector until they lay me in the ground.  I like it Smiley

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:01:29 pm »

Hi amigaman,

Btw your nick reminds me of a mix between 2 video games I used to play in the '90s. great. good old videogames Cheesy

Of course that word exists!  In fact you got me thinking what words would be the next/previous of vectorphile.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/-phile

vectorphagia? vectorphobia?  Dunno.

Anyway, welcome to vectorland Stan

kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:50 pm »

Welcome aboard Stan,
Enjoy Smiley

Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:50:38 pm »

Hello and welcome to VL amigaman.
I am happy to hear that VL-6 is working well for you, despite an annoyance, as it is yet to be finalized at this point. I hope that you mentioned that annoyance in the 6.0 bug threads, so that it may get addressed.

The nick reminds me of the good days on the Commadore systems Smiley ... then GUI took over Grin .
amigaman

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:02:18 pm »

hey the GUI is what made me fall in love with the Amiga in the first place.  Smiley  I have been and forever shall be an Amiga lover.  I would be using one still today if I could convince my wife to let me spend the money on it.  I remember having a simple little conversation with her about hobbies once.  I told her I had 2 major passions in my life.... Amigas and cars.  One in particular.

Cost of building an Amiga 1200 in tower case with all modern conveniences....   roughly $2000. 
Cost of acquiring an 1989 Maserati 228 and restoring it to showroom condition... roughly $50,000.  Plus insurance.

Can someone help me do the math here?  My lowly master's degree in nuclear engineering has all but taken away my ability to subtract  Grin.  I can do triple integrals with my eyes closed, but I can't subtract for shit.  Smiley

But I digress.  To solve the tv problem, it seems all I need is Kaffeine.  (and to stay awake, too Grin)  I have /dev/uvb/adapter0/ in my system now, after a compile and install.

Still working on auto-mounting eth0 again at boot.  I don't want to have to re-install again Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: