VectorLinux
August 21, 2014, 11:45:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 5.9 Will not fill my screen  (Read 1154 times)
redandwhitestripes

« on: February 06, 2009, 03:15:19 pm »

Hi all,
The other posts I made were concerning my installation on my old  laptop. So impressed have I been that I've installed VL 5.9 gold on my newer, 1 gig RAM, PC.

I have some hitches: the screen is 'trimmed' on both sides by about one inch. Changing video settings in VASM has no effect. I searched this forum and saw a post where someone was told to change the horizontal refresh rate but I don't know where or how to do that?
Interestingly, my ubuntu install on the same laptop now appears to have a tiny, tiny border on one side of the screen that wasn't there before, unless it's my imagination.

Also, VL will not detect my wireless connection, though this is not such an issue as I can plug in my LAN cable.

The squashed screen is a bother though. Can anyone tell me why this happened? The same install CD worked fine on my older PC. Would installing VL Light instead make any difference? Thanks,
Greg
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:59:15 am »

OK I found the xorg conf file, had a little play about with the settings to no joy. Can anyone help? I'm using a 14" screen on a HP laptop, if that makes any difference.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:26:57 am »

Your posts have not included the name of the laptop, the video
card name and model or the wireless name model and version#.

Without that type of information its like asking to repair a car without
looking at it and not knowing the make, model or year. Its the best
analogy I could come up with.

After you post that information then someone maybe able to answer
your question.

You may find that you might also have better luck testing 6.0 RC4, since
wireless or other things are improved.

Bigpaws
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 03:11:34 pm »

Hi bigtop,

It's a HP pavillion. I have managed to get this readout from the terminal - I also have Ubuntu installed and the display is fine. Hope this is the right info. BTW Slitaz has the same problem. Both CDs install fine on my older laptop (Compaq Presario), Thanks. Greg,

1280 x 800 @ 60.0

SMPTE 100% color bars

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integr
ated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Gr
aphics Controller (rev 0c)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection
 (rev 03)

Intel Corporation 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection (rev 03)
Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »

I had a similar problem with my old Toshiba Laptop.   My suggestion, since you also have Ubuntu on the machine, is to compare the display settings in the Ubuntu /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the ones in the Vector Linux install.  You probably will need to change either the HorizSync and/or the VertRefresh settings.

HTH,
Cait

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
redandwhitestripes

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:16:18 am »

Hi Caitlyn, thanks for the help. Sadly my ubunti xorg.cong just gives me:

Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier   "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Default Screen"
   Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
   Device      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

I did a test install of Vector Light and did not have this problem. So I could stick with that - though I'm not keen on IceWM - or perhaps make a note of the monitor settings and then reinstall VL :-)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:40:27 am »

I did a test install of Vector Light and did not have this problem.

Copy your xorg.conf file from Light to Std. and see if that works for you. Or try VL6 Standard, which should go gold any day now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: