VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 02:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Google Documents?  (Read 1688 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: February 14, 2009, 11:02:03 am »

Been using it for several days now in a collaborative project - I'm very impressed with it.  The doc edits and saves seem *faster* over inet than locally on an XP box using Word. (Well, OK, maybe that's not sooo surprising  Tongue )

I know that several folks here use google code...

have any of you tried google docs? What do you think about it ?  (I don't mean, necessarily, what do you think about google's philosophy of "do no evil [while conquering the world]", rather what do you think about the apps and features themselves?

just curious...
- Howard

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »

I use googledocs.  The concept is great where collaberation is preferable, particularly if the other folks are familiar with googledocs..  I don't use it as often as I would if if did not require gmail.  At least the way I use it requires me to pay attention to my gmail, something I don't do too often. Nothing wrong with gmail, except that I started with pop3 using seamonkey and am reluctant to change. I also like googlecalendar, which seems based on the same concept.  And googledesktop is GREAT for finding stuff on the hard drive.

One problem with googledocs is keeping track of files. With a lot of them it can get confusing. And I have security concerns that I am slowly getting over.

We normally use lyx or, when we get word docs sent to us, Symphony.  However, as google doc's formatting machine continues to improve, we find ourselves using it a more and more, especially when we get word documents or when collaboration is advisable.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 03:59:39 pm »

thanks for the reply, Sledgehammer

Yes, using google mail, docs, etc. is like "big brother," watching. Clearly that shouldn't be a concern, or we'd not be using the service. But I do consider the what-if of the docs or emails suddenly becoming public, intentionally or not. The way I figure it is probably good protocol for any email - if it's not 128 bit (or more) encrypted, then I write it as if *anyone* can read it.

> One problem with googledocs is keeping track of files.

yes, their folder set up is not super. The other site I like is one some folks here are using too:
http://www.4shared.com

I haven't used Symphony - thanks for mentioning it ... will take a look at it.

- H

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:20:15 pm »

I use google code mostly.
I've used google docs, and i'm quite impressed by their functionality...

I use M$ Office on a daily basis at work. Mostly excel. And I'd say M$ definitely has some competition under way here.
The one thing missing out of googledocs as of now that prevents me and others like me from using it over office would probabbly be their implementation of VB all over office.

I create complex VBA functions that form whole nother program running inside excel. All written in VBA code.
But then again, not even OOo has this feature fully implemented yet (I hope someday they do)

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 07:28:09 pm »

Quote from: M0E-lnx
I create complex VBA functions that form whole nother program running inside excel. All written in VBA code.

M0E!

You?

We would have never guessed that you are a Macro MonsterShocked Tongue

Grin Grin

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:34:29 am »

Quote from: M0E-lnx

M0E!

You?

We would have never guessed that you are a Macro MonsterShocked Tongue

Grin Grin

Only because I use almost pure gambas code. Wink
but yes... I can do some pretty kool stuff with VBA code in M$ Office.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: