VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 02:24:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Python 3 ?  (Read 2262 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:19 am »

It's quite a bit different that python 2.x

anyone trying it out here yet?

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:50:46 am »

Haven't tried it yet.  I'm waiting for opinions on python 3 too. Atm I'm looking forward parrot/perl6 and seems very promising.  Cool thing about python 3 is that it is already out.  parrot 1.0 will be released during 2009.

alec

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:26 am »

Its different enough that all scripts/programs must be converted, but no real gains except more logical syntax. So there is no real incentive to switch over.

No speed gains, no major new features that aren't available on 2.x...

Parrot on the other hand is more in the field of PyPy
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 02:03:17 am by alec » Logged
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:15 pm »

thanks for the replies, Kidd and Alec,

Haven't done much PERL since the early 5 days, but Parrot's cross-language byte-code VM opens up so many library possibilities that it's almost overwhelming.  I might just go back an brush up to 6!  (Aside to EFG, if you read this: Parrot is written in HASKELL ---- na na na naa naaa naa   Tongue)  ... I'm also tickled that Parrot plugins are packaged as Python eggs.

Kidd, have you come across any metrics on the speed of the parrot vm?  It's so cool that the processors are getting fast enough that a lot of stuff that used to have to be compiled to get speed now can be scripted.

Alec, thanks for that overview - just what the code doctor ordered. Cool, was wondering how really necessary it  is to go from print "Jello World" to print ("Jello Mold"). And the write ups mostly seem to say what you have - that 2.5 & 2.6 has a lot of the future 3.0 already in place. I'm pretty happy with 2.5 and 2.6 (especially 2.6's multiprocessing package).  Wonder what they're really up to, if there's no significant speed up. hmmmm.  It also looks like IPython would need a ton of rework to go 3.x.

PyPy is wonderful for recursion (e.g. stackless and coroutines)  Did a bit of pypy on .net  --- *really* weird at first (weirding due to .net, not py Wink )

Do you all get the sense that the widely diverse languages are actually starting to converge?

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 04:11:48 am »

Windozer,

I haven't seen any benchmarks, but atm parrot devs are focusing on adding features and fixing bugs.  Speed is not that important in current stage.

Btw, parrot isn't coded in haskell but a perl6 implementation called pugs.  It was discontinued some time ago and now the main implementation is rakudo, the parrot perl6 interpreter.

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:11 am »

OK, thanks for the correction  --- that's what I get for JITR
(Just In Time Reading)  Roll Eyes
- H

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 03:23:46 pm »

The Grand-daddy of Python, Guido van Rossum, has just updated a 'what's new in python 3 doc:

http://docs.python.org/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

alec

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:16:58 am »

Grand Old Man does not equal granddaddy Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: