VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 02:44:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Issue I've found  (Read 898 times)
Vorlin

« on: February 14, 2009, 05:43:33 pm »

This is in regards to 6.0RC4 and could be backwards-"happening", we'll just see. I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this so it's here. If it needs to be moved, please do so.  Grin

WM: XFce4 updated to current
Video: ATI X800 using both the radeon and ati opensource drivers (meaning I've tried it on both)
Kernel: 2.6.27.12 all relevant patches applied

Problem: I have the typical random screensaver set for 15 minutes yet if I'm gone for more than 5 minutes after it starts, it will freeze invariably even though the streaming music I'm listening to will still be playing. This is a hard freeze and I have to reboot every time it happens. It also happens with the blanked screen. The times of the freeze after blank/screensaver are random but it will happen. The only way I've found around it is to disable the screensaver entirely and just turn off my monitor when I leave for any amount of time. So far, no freezes with that method employed.

Any ideas? There's nothing in the syslog, no glaring errors, things like that...mystifying to say the least.

--
Vector Linux 5.9
Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Final
Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 1 [current]
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »

First, this really belongs i the RC4 feedback/bugs thread so that the developers can see it.

I haven't seen this problem on either of my systems with the screensaver so it may be related to the X driver.  t The fact that the music is still playing means it really isn't a hard system freeze but rather X is freezing.  Can CTRL-ALT-BKSPC break you out of X or restart X?  Will CTRL-ALT-F2 bring you to a console login prompt?

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: