VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 07:50:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about installation  (Read 2804 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:26 am »

I too have used reiserfs for quite a while. I've ran into data corruption a couple of times, but it only happened when caused by a bad suspend/resume procedure during some resting. Other than that, on a normal course of useage, I've had no overall bad experiences.

XFS is another story though... I used to like it because of it's blazing speed over ext2 or ext3, but it is far more unstable than reiserfs.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:41 am »

M0e_Lnx:  I've supported some very large corporate customers running XFS when I was with Red Hat and back when I supported SGI equipment as well, so we're talking maybe 10 years of experience total.  I also run it on my own equipment.  I have never had ANY instability of any kind whatsoever.  I'd be curious to know what problems you've had.

Not surviving suspend/resume is a pretty serious complaint about reiserfs for someone like me who uses VL on laptops and netbooks.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:02 am »

Since my installs are never used for anything serious other than coding (the code itself being hosted remotely), I normally dont hesitate to wipe out an install and do it all over again... but I've had a couple of instances where a suspended kernel results in a kernel panic on resume and enters a non-stop rebooting cycle. After booting a different kernel to try to get out of the cycle, I'v ended up with reiserfs errors.

on the XFS side, I personally like to use the verbose mode of the bootsplash, and i've seen a bunch of junk playing in the verbose output. Like it's redoing the journaling for some reason...

I can also recall hosing a partitiong while trying to recover it from one of these errors related to a timestamp somewhere on the partition being in the future.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 12:17:07 pm »

Recovering the journal after a less than graceful shutdown is normal behavior for xfs.  That isn't an error.  It also happens automatically after a set number of boots, similar to ext3.  Yes, you'd see that fairly regularly in a verbose boot.  It's not instability.

Any filesystem will complain about a timestamp in the future.  That is repairable and recoverable as well in xfs.

I don't think anything you've described would be seen as "instability".  Vector Linux offers two world-class journaling filesystems, jfs by IBM and xfs by SGI.  Both are used on big iron, the very high end of commercial UNIX systems.  Both are incredibly robust and stable.  Ad you've pointed out yourself there is nothing faster than xfs.

The main argument against jfs and xfs is that Linux lacks some tools to manage these partitions (i.e.: resize them while leaving data intact) which do exist for ext3.  That is an entirely valid reason for choosing ext3 particularly in a development enviornment like yours.  I'm running ext3 on my netbook now except for the recover partition (which has Clonezilla Live installed), which is fat32 from the factory.  I want to leave Ubuntu Netbook Remix (factory installed by updated/patched by me) in place.  I reduced the partition size but I don't want to reformat.  I want flexibility and ext3 offers the most flexibility in a Linux environment.

On my Toshiba I use xfs exclusively. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 12:54:16 pm »

I stand corrected... I guess I did overstate my experiences... but then again, when my box stars playing this enormous list of journaling output that never ends (literally running for 4 hours straight) and the system wont boot... I think it's a real problem... at that point I just give up on it and get me a new install.

Been using reiserfs for a while, like I said... dropped xfs mainly because of the lack of tools that you mentioned... I need to resize, create, delete partitions for testing stuff on a daily basis... so I need something that's fully supported and performs well at the same time. reiserfs is still holding up for my tests. ext3 has also held up, but I find it significantly slower than reiserfs.

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 03:16:33 pm »

Four hours of journal messages does indicate a major problem and/or corruption.  I've never seen it with xfs but you clearly have.   Linux does have the tools to repair that but, as you point out, does not have the tools to manage partitions that exist for ext3.

VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

VL 7.0 Light
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: