VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Exposing a file over internet  (Read 2701 times)

BlueMage

• Vectorite
Exposing a file over internet
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:44:51 pm »

Hi all,

Forgive my noobness, for I have sinned.  I've spent too much time in Windowsland and forgotten much of what I once knew of the nixes.

In any case, I wish to expose a php file stored locally on a linux machine to a windows machine on the same network.  I should point out that both of these machines are virtual machines, in case that alters anything.

My first thought was to use SAMBA and set up a share, and I think I remember how to do that, but any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Exposing a file over internet
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:02:54 pm »

I should point out that both of these machines are virtual machines, in case that alters anything.

Actually that can be a problem. If these VM's are on the same machine the as long as
you have matching network configurations both using with or without NAT. Then you
should be able to ping each other.

The question I am not clear on is the file you wish to expose. Is just a file or a web page.

You could use filezilla which iirc can do ssh and then browse the shares on the Linux machine.

HTH

Bigpaws

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
Re: Exposing a file over internet
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:27:37 am »

If you are trying to let one computer see a file on another computer on the network, then (if your version of VL has it) you might try the Public File Server applet. (I believe that is a KDE app)
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM